Procedure for purchasing firearm in TN.

Guest bkelm18

Hello, I was just moved back to TN after getting discharged from the Navy. All of my firearm purchases have been in VA. I'm looking at getting a new rifle and was wondering what the basic process for purchasing a firearm in TN is? Such as waiting periods? How many forms of ID? Any other special caveats I should know about? I have a CCL in VA and hopefully will be getting one for TN soon. Anyway, thanks for you help.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick it out, fill out a form 4473, show ID, get printed, wait 10-15min for TBI to call back, pay for the purchase and $10 bg check, and leave to go enjoy your new gun... If you already know what you want, most times you can be in & out in 30min or so.

Also, you might need to show TN ID or proof of residence...?

Pick it out, fill out a form 4473, show ID, get printed, wait 10-15min for TBI to call back, pay for the purchase and $10 bg check, and leave to go enjoy your new gun... If you already know what you want, most times you can be in & out in 30min or so.

Also, you might need to show TN ID or proof of residence...?

How many forms of ID? In VA they required two. I used my military ID and a copy of my orders. I don't know what I'd use now, all I have is my TN drivers license, I'm not really sure where my SS card is.

Guest EasilyObsessed
How many forms of ID? In VA they required two. I used my military ID and a copy of my orders. I don't know what I'd use now, all I have is my TN drivers license, I'm not really sure where my SS card is.

All I have ever needed is just my drivers license.

The process is about as simple as it can be.

You find the gun you want, and pay for it.

You show a driver's license or Handgun Carry Permit, and fill out a 4473 (that's the white form for the background check).

The FFL calls TBI, gives them your info, and waits for a response. The response usually comes back within seconds. If you have a common name it might take a little longer.

TBI requires that the FFL get a copy of your thumbprints for their records.

Pay $10 for the background check.

Walk out of the store, with your new gun.

There are no waiting periods or application processes to buy a gun in TN. However, unlike some States, your HCP doesn't waive the necessity for a background check. That's because TN only checks your record when your permit is renewed, and not annually. Other than the $10 fee, the thumbprints, and the non-waiver of the background check, TN is a fairly easy State in which to buy a gun.

Welcome home, and thanks for your sacrifices, brother. Even though you're a freakin' squid.

Yeah yeah, damn dirty squids. Haha, thanks for all the help. Just one more question, are there any residency time requirements? I just moved back here about 4 weeks ago. Just wondering if there is a minimum time of residency requirement.

• Administrator
Isn't it great to be in Tennessee! Hard to believe, but it is that simple.

Heck, they gave me a rifle and box of ammo when I moved here and told me it was protocol. :lol:

"Welcome to Tennessee, son. Got a rifle? Need one? Here ya go. Moving to Memphis? Here's your RPG."

For you guys who are dealers which is correct.

1. Fill out form and recieve approval before paying

2. Pay for gun, then fill out form and wait on approval

The first three times I bought a gun in TN I did it where you pay last. The last gun I bought I was made to pay first. I questioned this and was told paying first is the only procedure that is correct. Incidently that was the pistol I was denied on and the seller helped me file the appeal right away, it was overturned in about ten days. One time I also made an error on the 4473 on my address and was told that I had to wait a day and come back to do it again. They would not let me fill out another form or correct it.

So which way is correct?