Let's talk suppressors.

So Christmas is approaching and shortly after that is tax day. I've been thinking that these two "special" times of year would be great chance to pick up a couple of new toys. My intention is to pick up a couple of suppressors. I'd like to get one for my AR and one for my .22's.

So I'd like to hear your opinions on different models. For my .22's, I'd like to keep the cost down. I don't want or need to spend 650 bucks plus stamp on a suppressor that will be on guns worth less than half that.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Christmas is approaching and shortly after that is tax day. I've been thinking that these two "special" times of year would be great chance to pick up a couple of new toys. My intention is to pick up a couple of suppressors. I'd like to get one for my AR and one for my .22's.

So I'd like to hear your opinions on different models. For my .22's, I'd like to keep the cost down. I don't want or need to spend 650 bucks plus stamp on a suppressor that will be on guns worth less than half that.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Well for the 22 I would probably go with the Bowers Paradigm suppressor I imagine its about the cheapest you are gonna find and it seems easy to maintain the suggested retail price on it is $395 but Im sure you can get it cheaper.

AS far as AR15's go alot of people seem to like the Surefire FA556-212 they say this suppressor can take alot of abuse and still do its job. As far as quiet goes alot of people say good things about SRT suppressors and seem to like them fro AR15's I dont own nor have I shot either one but thats just what I have read.

Guest redbarron06

If you are not looking to spend a fortune on a can for the AR I would look into Suppressed Armamant Systems. I am still waiting on my form 4 to get back but for $575 plus the flash hider you can be in buisness. These are each made by hand in Evansville IN. I dont think they make one for a .22 though you can use the .223 on a 22. His 7.62 cans are buit strong enough to handle a 300 win mag and he told me that I should have no problem shooting my 22-250 through the one I ordered for my AR as soon as I can get the barrel threaded. He also has some ploce PDs using the 30 cal version on both 30 cal and AR. It is not as effective that way but is more versitle.

Suppressed Armament Systems, LLC

My coppers:

For the .22LR can, I'd go with a TAC65 .22LR SUPPRESSOR Excellent Suppression, Easy To Clean by:. Probably the least expensive can I've seen in .22LR, but with the ability to pull the baffles out and clean it yourself easily. Side by side with a Gemtech 22LR can, you can't tell the difference in sound - it's a very nice suppressor.

For 5.56 you've got a decision to make. Do you want less expensive but big & heavy, or more expensive and small & lightweight? Yankee Hill, Tactical Inc, Gemtech, and a dozen other companies all make less expensive 5.56 cans, but the size & weight are more. AWC, Surefire, Wilson Combat, and a few others make higher-end suppressors (IE: around $1k) that are small, light, and give as much decible reduction as the others if not more.

I personally have a Surefire - FA556-212 Suppressor for .223 Caliber - available from SureFire, and it's about 10-16 oz lighter than the tactical inc and gemtech. Which, for a small guy like me is pretty big :popcorn:.

The Mite is the loudest 22 suppressor you can get @ 130dB. You can get something much better for about the same money. I'm partial to the Silencerco Sparrow myself, for I love how easy it is to take apart and clean, especially compared to my TAC65. No matter what, get a can you can take apart to clean.

Guest Todd@CIS
The Mite is the loudest 22 suppressor you can get @ 130dB. You can get something much better for about the same money.

LOL, great. I'm about to take delivery on one.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not super knowledgeable of suppressors. Just saw it at a good price...being a YHM product, I grabbed it.

Got a legitimate question here ...

Why not purchase a suppressor designed for the .223/5.56 and use it on the .22LR?

One tax stamp ... double duty ... same caliber ... the .22 is less demanding for its ability to suppress.

The only hangup is that the serial number must not be engraved on the barrel but on the frame of each weapon.

Why isn't this scenario plausible?

Guest redbarron06
Got a legitimate question here ...

Why not purchase a suppressor designed for the .223/5.56 and use it on the .22LR?

One tax stamp ... double duty ... same caliber ... the .22 is less demanding for its ability to suppress.

The only hangup is that the serial number must not be engraved on the barrel but on the frame of each weapon.

Why isn't this scenario plausible?

The weapon does not have to be engraved to be adapted for a can. Only the can. You have to engrave the weapon only if it is short barreled or full auto.

This idea is exactlly what I am doing. I have one can on the way and will use it on 223/5.56, 22-250, and .22LR.

Machine guns do not have to be engraved by anyone except the person or company who orginally converted them before 1986. The only thing that has to be engraved is a SBR, SBS, AOW, or suppressor that you do a form 1 on and manufacture yourself. A company also has to do this on the gun/suppressors they manufacture.

I have a YHM Mite and am very happy with it. I have shot it back to back against a Gemtech and the difference is not that much. Yes is not the quietest but it is no slouch. I can load sub-sonics be great. Add water and it is totally different. Weapon choice is a big concern. On some host it is louder/quieter than on others.

If you are ever East of Nashville or I make it back towards Memphis you are welcome to check it out.

Guest sjrhodes82

I have a Yankee Hill on my ar-15. It works very well and I sometimes use it on my machine gun. Seems to take the abuse without issue. So far, I'm pleased.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SLICKYINC

For the .22 Advanced Armament Element, But its not cheap. One can be had for about 450.00 if you do some searching around. It also can be taken apart for cleaning, and they garentee there suppressors for life. This is the one I went with. 41dB dry.

Edited by SLICKYINC

There is a local suppressor manufacturer where I bought my .223 suppressor from. Just over the State line in MS (Tunica County). They are a couple of very smart and dedicated suppressor builders.

It is called SNS Suppressors. If you want more info, I can get you the number. Just PM me.

I recieved a lot of questions about this suppressor during a recent machine gun shoot in TX, people liked it a lot.

They guarantee their work for life and are an absolute hoot to work with.

They build dedicated .22 platforms, rifle and pistol as well as multiple other calibers.

Guest crotalus01

I have a YHM Mite, and I love it. I have never measured it to see what the dB reduction is, but everyone who has shot it has been impressed - it sounds like a paintball gun using regular ammo and is a good bit quieter with subsonics. I think for the price ($200 - $275 depending on where you get it) it really cant be beat...