Knox Zoo vs Nash Zoo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Knoxville Zoo is excellent. Haven't been to Grassmere in about 9-10 years but was not overly impressed at the time. Maybe its changed since.

You may need to know that this Saturday is the Vols season opener at home. In other words traffic will be unpleasant to say the least coming into, around and leaving town.

Nashville Zoo started as Grassmere, with a focus on native wildlife. Under its present name it has the more common international wildlife focus. Much more interesting to children than originally. I've not been to the Knoxville Zoo in years, but am somewhat regular at the Nashville and Memphis zoos...the Memphis Zoo is the better of the two.

I havent been to the Nashville Zoo in 30 plus years, but I was at the Knoxville Zoo last weekend with my 3 y/o son and we both like Knoxville.

But if we are tossing out good Zoo's, if you are ever in SoCal the San Diego Zoo is world class. I was stationed there for 16 years and I have been to the SD Zoo more times than I can count. LOL

I havent been to the Nashville Zoo in 30 plus years, but I was at the Knoxville Zoo last weekend with my 3 y/o son and we both like Knoxville.

But if we are tossing out good Zoo's, if you are ever in SoCal the San Diego Zoo is world class. I was stationed there for 16 years and I have been to the SD Zoo more times than I can count. LOL

Yea, the San Diego Zoo is probably one of the few zoo's better than Chicago's Brookfield Zoo. I'd definitely like to check it out one of these days.

Guest eyebedam

Hey Paul here's a thought. The past 2 weeks we took our girls to the wave pool. It was dead out there & we had a blast. This coming weekend is the last weekend they are open. There were no thugs & I honestly had a blast myself. Just a thought. It's close & no Knoxville football traffic to deal with.

Guest bkelm18
I thought you had to take the bypass. The zoo is in East Knox and they have the interstate blocked off for repairs after Alcoa Hwy. Or is that over?

That ended in June. All interstates are back to normal.

TDR, the Knoxville Zoo is top notch. Best zoo in the world. And to top it off, your patronage pays my paycheck. :) But seriously, the Knox Zoo is a really good zoo, miles beyond Nash Zoo.

Edited by bkelm18
Anyone been to the Chattanooga zoo? (Not talking about the aquarium.)

Yes, My family and I are members there and we go about once a week. My 3 y/o son loves it. Its large enough to have a decent selection of animals, yet small enough to enjoy in just a few hours.

Yes, My family and I are members there and we go about once a week. My 3 y/o son loves it. Its large enough to have a decent selection of animals, yet small enough to enjoy in just a few hours.

Good to know. I'd like to visit all TN zoos eventually. I am a member at the Nashville Zoo (growing all the time) and they have reciprocity with a lot of zoos, including all in TN. I've been to the Memphis zoo and I like some of their exhibits better and some of Nashville's better. I really need to get to Chattanooga's and Knoxville's.

Btw, go to http://www.nashvillezoo.org/index.asp to see the new Clouded Leopard babies playing on the zoo's home page.

Edited by ~Emily~
I can haz treats plz?

as long as you don't throw your poop at people! ;)

Me and the family are members at the Nashville Zoo and it is great for families with younger kids. The exhibits are getting really good. Couldn't say that a year or so ago. The playground is a big plus (again for smaller kids). It's not a "standard" type zoo but I think they are moving in the right direction. I have always been impressed with the Memphis zoo, especially recently. It's better for older kids. Used to take youth groups there and they loved it. Haven't been to Knoxville but I've heard great things.

PS: Mike, I can honestly say you definitely strike me as a person who does not go to zoo's........ or smile! BTW That avatar is by far your best!:screwy: