New Beretta 92, don't want to look like a goon

Guest mosinon

Guest mosinon

I managed to score a beretta 92fs in new condition for a nice price. I can't tell that it has been shot outside of the factory.

But screw that, it can't stay new forever, guns are made to be shot not to be looked at.

So I want to shoot it, badly. Lacking local land (I've got some acreage but it is a long way away) that leaves a gun range.

The idea of going to a range scares me a bit. I'm going to be terrible with this thing at first, and that will be the source of some humor. Plus I won't really know what I'm doing so I'm not sure how safe I'll actually be (of course I will think I'm safe) and finally I don't know the code.

If you're thinking that there isn't a code, there is. You know the shorthand gun folks use and so forth. I am going to sound like an idiot no matter what but I'd like to minimize my stupidity. Thanks in advance for any help that will help me fit in at a range.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet somebody here would be willing to meet up with you one day and tutelage you. The Beretta is a good first choice. It is big and heavy enough to have little recoil. It is fairly simple and easy to shoot and has plenty of safety features. Spend some time with a knowledgeable person or take a class, then you will start with good habits and be further down the road than you might think.

Fear not there will be plenty of people at any range who have little to no experience. And some folks think they are good, but aren't. Go at your own pace and you will be shooting well in no time.

Well, first of all, there aren't but three places to shoot around Knoxville, short of a private club like ORSA, or someone's personal acreage.

- Coal Creek Armory (indoor, 25 yard) - $15/session

- John Sevier TWRA outdoor range in North Knoxville, $5.50 for two hours, or you can join their club

- Norris Police range, probably the best all around deal, although it's a 20+ mile drive. $30/year, unlimited time.

Several of us wind up at the Norris range most Saturdays...at least a couple of us are going this Sat about 1.You're welcome to tag along.

Can you shoot during the week? I'm retired and often slip up to Norris during the week, usually hardly anyone there on weekdays, be happy for you to go along.

Could meet you out Coal Creek if you like, too, although indoor shooting is not my fave, rather claustrophobic and the magnified concussion and all...

PM me for info on any of this...be happy to share what I know of The Code :D.

- OS

edit: add Gunny's in Maryville to area list.

Edited by OhShoot

These are the posted rules at Prentice Cooper near Chattanooga....

rules.jpg

Here are some more:

1. If there is a range master, obey his commands.

2. Never point your gun at anyone thoughtlessly.

3. "Hot" means you can shoot. People yell it.

4. "Clear" or "cold" means you can go put up a target.

5. Be patient. Watch and wait. Don't be in a hurry.

6. Be sure to have hearing protection, and eye protection.

7. Watch out that you don't throw hot brass to the person on your right.

Some other possible rules.

Do you have a case for the pistol? Have it unloaded with no magazine in the case when you hit the range.

Clean up after yourself. Nobody likes a pig.

Finger off the trigger until you're aimed at a target, ready to shoot.

If you're a bad shot, nobody is judging. Everyone walks before they run.

Listen to the rangemaster. If there is one, go introduce yourself as a new shooter. Most are happy to help you get settled.

Guest HexHead

The FOUR rules...

1. Every gun is always loaded. Treat it accordingly.

2. Never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy.

3. Finger off the trigger until you've acquired the target and are ready to shoot.

4. Be aware of what's behind your target. See #2. (aka "every bullet has a lawyer attached to it." :D )

• Administrator

You're worrying too much about what everyone else is going to think. Observe the four cardinal rules that Hexhead posted (see above) and whatever other rules are particular to the range you choose to shoot at.

Most ranges have staff who will be happy to introduce you to shooting. You aren't the first new guy on the range and certainly won't be the last. Just go out there, be safe, and enjoy yourself. :D

Guest TurboniumOxide

Dry Fire in a safe place. I do it while I am watching MSNBC. Get your hand used to the feel of the grips, the pull of the trigger and the heft and inertia of the gun. I have a laser on my kimber (CTC), this helps me a great deal to get the "feel" to "point of aim" lodged in my head so my brain knows where the gun is pointed at all times, and I automatically keep it pointed in a safe direction or at the target without having to think about it. These little things are a lot cheaper than going to a range, and help immensely.

These are the posted rules at Prentice Cooper near Chattanooga....

rules.jpg

Here are some more:

1. If there is a range master, obey his commands.

2. Never point your gun at anyone thoughtlessly.

3. "Hot" means you can shoot. People yell it.

4. "Clear" or "cold" means you can go put up a target.

5. Be patient. Watch and wait. Don't be in a hurry.

6. Be sure to have hearing protection, and eye protection.

7. Watch out that you don't throw hot brass to the person on your right.

I thought that was how Strickj collected brass.:lol::D

Is that a new sign? I seem to recall a rule about NO SHOTGUNS.

Dry Fire in a safe place. I do it while I am watching MSNBC.

No doubt that there is a certain white haired, loud mouthed, liberal leaning (OK, he ain't leaning anymore, he's fell completely over) who's initials are Chris... CM, on the tube at the time! ) :)

I'll second what O Shoot said if you want someone to go with you. I could meet you next weekend (next Sunday, they are closed this weekend) over at John Sevier Range. I'd be glad to help you out. :)

Guest beancounter

Mosinon -

Coal Creek is a great indoor range and the folks are nice there. On your first visit, you'll read their list of rules, and answer some questions. READ EVERY WORD. That will give you a very good idea of what to expect and how to act.

I was in your shoes many years ago. I had never fired or owned a handgun, bought a Beretta 92FS, read everything I could find, then went to a range by myself. I'm glad I went to CCA (Guncraft Sports at that time). The internet was not the wealth of info and support that it is now.

Their range rules and test distilled everything I read or knew down to one easy-to-manage page or so. I knew exactly what to expect and what was expected of me. I'm glad I went there first.

If you are reading and paying attention, I'm sure you'll be fine. I can't make the range this week, but if you'd like to meet up later this month, PM me and we can set up a meeting. I hope this helps.

Darren

Come on out to Norris range this Saturday and shoot with the guys. It'll be worth your time and effort. The guys are great and we all can show/teach you proper saftey and how to shoot. By the time you leave the range you'll have more confidence about you and your weapon and how to use it as well. Besides, why wait longer than you have to. You bought it to protect yourself, why not let us help you reach that goal...:)

What they said plus take some silhouette targets old posters or large sheets of paper to frame your target. The really big (and expensive) targets that change colors when hit are alot of fun. Take your time be safe and enjoy. +1 for you seeking help and +2 to anyone who takes you shooting with them. :D

Guest nascar22

"If you knew how much time people spent thinking about you, you would not care what they were thinking of you"

Author unknown

I don't believe in any code other than safety and being respectful of others. Just use common sense and have fun! Life is to short to worry about what people think about you.

Don't worry about how good you are, just be safe and have fun. The gentlemen that is working at the new (brand new) indoor range at Outdoor Junction showed me what some canadians had done while shooting. They managed to bounce rounds off the floor, the wall next to their lane and put 3 into the ceiling. I suspect you will start out doing much better then that especially if someone on the forum meets up with you and helps you out.

I live in Cleveland. There is a small indoor range on Rt. 11 in Calhoun I could meet you at sometime soon to help you out. It's not too far out of Knoxville. It's called Fugates, if you want to look them up.

I like helping out new shooters.

Guest FiddleDog

You've gotta think about it like this: most people at the range are there to get better. Everyone who shoots went through being a first timer, and no one is satisfied with how well they shoot. That's why they keep going to the range. Just remember to be safe. The pistol is always loaded...even when it's not...especially when it's not. Beyond that, make sure you let yourself have fun...and give us a write up about your first range experience.

Well I made it out to the range with the Beretta today and OhShoot was there to show me the ropes. Good thing too because I forgot to get targets and so forth.

It was really fun an informative. OhShoot even let me shoot his Ruger 22, that was a lot of fun. I'm going to have to buy one of those.

So a public thanks to OhShoot. Oh, and I'm sure you all will want to see the after shot of one of those paper plates right?

217-809%2BPaper%2BPlate%2B9.jpg

See, nice and respectful, I made sure not to damage any of OhShoots targets. You could eat off the target plates when I was done. But then OhShoot shot them all to hell...

Edited by mosinon
screwed everything up