Iron sight advice

Guest mosinon

Guest mosinon

I managed to get a great deal on a Beretta 92 today so I'm pretty happy. So I'm covered as far as handguns go for the next few minutes.

Now I need to turn my attention to long guns. I've got an invite to a local range and the invite is from a really good guy who shoots iron sights. Iron sights is all I'm really interested in when it comes to long guns (don't hunt, etc) and I'd like to show up with something fun to shoot.

My original plan was to go with a mosin but Gander Mountain sold the ones they had so I'm working the c r license but that takes some time. In between I'm wondering what to take to the range. Fun being the operative thing here. Not so expensive being the other consideration.

So what advice do you guys have? I need all the advice I can get.

For the record: Only interested in uncleaned, cosmoline covered mosins. I know, I know, I could just order one but the fun is walking out of the store with one right?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, if you're new to shooting, I'd go buy a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin Model 60.

It's a .22, and they're both great guns. They're accurate enough to have a blast with, and cheap to shoot. Both are great for learning the basics of shooting, trigger control, etc. My Model 60 is one of my most often shot guns.

If you just want something bigger, the Mosin isn't a bad deal. Recoil is definitely noticeable, though. You said Gander Mountain is out of them, but you might check your local gunshops. They're fairly common right now, so finding a place that has one in stock shouldn't be hard.

Guest mosinon

Thanks for the advice 56Ford.

I'm certainly not looking for anything bigger. I started by looking for a .17 rifle but every model I saw had a scope.

I don't think any manufacturer caters to my market: not defense, not hunting, not serious about target shooting. Just like to shoot.

I'm not trying to get political at all but, somehow, from my youth to now a lot of the fun has gone away.

I'd buy an old Mauser. Fun to shoot, inexpensive to buy for the most part, extremely accurate, inexpensive ammo, one of the truly great platforms. And they have very little recoil. I have taken my Mauser to shooting competitions against modern what you would call hunting guns, scoped non-tricked out guns and won the shoot with my iron sighted Mauser. These were side matches at meets, just for fun. I especially like the Mausers that were re-barreled by the Israeli's to 308.

You can get a Mosin if that's what you are really into. I'm not one to tout them personally. I have between 3-5 of them, I forget, that I bought at Rose's for $39 many years ago. That is about as much I would ever give for one. But that's me.

Edited by Warbird

Just liking to shoot and not being serious about it sounds like a .22LR to me for sure. I love just plinking with open sights. Most of the factory sights leave something to be desired, but there are lots of good aftermarket irons out there.

A 10/22 or a Marlin 60 or a Henry H001 or a Savage bolt action. All good choices for low cost shooting fun. I have a Savage 93G .22magnum that came with iron sights and is a hoot to shoot out to 100 yards.

Guest mosinon

See, this is showing my ignorance. I'm going to spend the next fifteen minutes trying to figure out what tube fed means and how it works.

Then I'll probably spend the next 3 day thinking I have to have two...

See, this is showing my ignorance. I'm going to spend the next fifteen minutes trying to figure out what tube fed means and how it works.

Then I'll probably spend the next 3 day thinking I have to have two...

Instead of a removable box type magazine (Ruger 10/22, AR-15, etc), it has a fixed tube below the barrel that serves as the magazine. Marlin Model 60, Remington 552, 572, most pump action shotguns and lever action rifles.

If you're new to shooting, most definitely a .22. Mil-surp ammo is cheap, but .22 is cheaper by several magnitudes. Nothing makes you a better shot faster or cheaper than plopping down at the range for a few hours with 20 bucks of .22 ammo.

Best advise for any new shooter. It all comes down to being able to shoot alot to get better. No better way than no recoil and cheap ammo.

I don't think any manufacturer caters to my market: not defense, not hunting, not serious about target shooting. Just like to shoot.

In rim fire you have the Remington 597 and the Ruger 10/22 that are pretty low cost new.

In center fire Remington, Savage, Mossberg, Howa, etc have all kinds of low cost models with open sights.

There are plenty of used bolts in quality rifles that you can find deals on.

The caliber is going to dictate cost to shoot more than the rifle. In center fire .223 is going to be about the cheapest; but even it is getting pretty high.

Thanks for the advice 56Ford.

I'm certainly not looking for anything bigger. I started by looking for a .17 rifle but every model I saw had a scope.

I'm not trying to get political at all but, somehow, from my youth to now a lot of the fun has gone away.

several have mentioned a .22, and I agree...the Ruger 10/22 gets my vote.

others to consider:

M-1 Carbine = since you expressed interest in a Mosin, I'm assuming history is of interest to you also, and the M-1 doesn't lack in that dept... it's also a blast to shoot; very little recoil/muzzle blast... you might check here Auto-Ordnance | Products | Long Guns, M1

9mm Carbine = cheap ammo...(well, used to be anyway :) ) fun to shoot...inexpensive gun. chech out the hi-point Hi-Point Firearms: 9mm Carbine or the Ruger, if you want to spend a bit more... Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles & Mini Thirty Rifles Autoloading Rifle (PC9) Overview

Mini-14 = Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles & Mini Thirty Rifles  Autoloading Rifles

Guest jimdigriz

I recommend a Ruger 10/22 with Tech Sights installed. I put the sights on my Ruger on Saturday, and had a blast the next day at the range. I shot much more accurately and faster than I ever had previously. The aperture sights, combined with the significantly longer sight radius, are a vast improvement over the factory notch sights. I'm planning on putting some on my AK soon.

Here's the link to the Tech Sights page:

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

Guest mosinon

Wow, thanks for all the replies there is a lot of good advice around here.

I've decided to go with some 22 even though my inclination is to go mosin or some other historically valid rifle.

The reason is the ammo. 22 stuff is cheap and I can always afford to shoot it, the people that argued that you get better by shooting really drove it home for me. I'm not sure you have more fun or get any better by having a rifle you are interested in sitting around. A rifle you are willing to shoot on the other hand....

A few years back I had cheap chinese air rifle that shot 1,000 fps or so. Pellets are unbelievably cheap and I must have put 5000 pellets through that thing. I got good enough with it that I became frustrated with the rifle, I knew I was doing everything the same but the pellets weren't ending up in the same place. SO when I get good enough with a cheap 22 I'll go find something new.

Thanks for all the advice, you folks have saved me money and likely added a lot of fun to my life.

Now my only problem is dough, after picking up the beretta I've got $150 in the gun fund! No big deal, I get a royalty check at the end of the month. I hate to wait but, well, there is a lot less marital friction when I just take some cash out of the check they send me instead of out of the bank account!

Guest jimdigriz

Now my only problem is dough, after picking up the beretta I've got $150 in the gun fund! No big deal, I get a royalty check at the end of the month. I hate to wait but, well, there is a lot less marital friction when I just take some cash out of the check they send me instead of out of the bank account!

You can get a Marlin 795 for less than $150. It's more accurate out of the box than a Ruger 10/22, typically. However, you'll be limited to ten round mags in you go that route. (The Marlins also can have the aperture sights installed that I mentioned a few posts ago).

Jim

My vote would be for a used Marlin 60. My buddy has one, and it's a great shooter. He bought it used for 100, but you can find them for even less if you look hard enough. He put some 70 dollar aperture sights on there and he can put down some really tight groups.

Another thing you want to consider is the ammo. If you have some experience shooting, you'll be frustrated trying to shoot dime sized groups at 25-50m with bulk cheap ammo. When you get your .22, get a good variety of ammo to try out. Certain rifles like certain ammos better than others. For instance, my Savage shoots Golden Bullets way better than Federal, but my buddy's Marlin prefers Federal Bulk. All over the map with the GB's for him.

Marlin 795. magazine fed .22lr like the Marlin 60 w/o the tube. Uses common Marlin .22lr magazines (I forget which part number but I took the one that came with it and compared it to the ones @ Gander Mountian and they are an exact match). They don't drop free though.

Dick's (in Jackson, anyway) has them on sale for $99. Get the Tech Sights. My son and I used it @ the Puryear Appleseed last weekend and they (stock sights) are hard to zero.

Edited by LA_357SIG
AND... I just ordered a M91/30 from AIM today...!!!
Guest jimdigriz

Dick's (in Jackson, anyway) has them on sale for $99. Get the Tech Sights. My son and I used it @ the Puryear Appleseed last weekend and they (stock sights) are hard to zero.

How did you fare using the Marlin at the Appleseed? My brother has 795s for him and his son (I have a Ruger 10/22), and we're headed to the Lobelville Appleseed next weekend. Are 3 spare mags sufficient for Appleseed purposes? And lastly, how did it go in general? Do you feel like your shooting skills are much improved?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
How did you fare using the Marlin at the Appleseed? My brother has 795s for him and his son (I have a Ruger 10/22), and we're headed to the Lobelville Appleseed next weekend. Are 3 spare mags sufficient for Appleseed purposes? And lastly, how did it go in general? Do you feel like your shooting skills are much improved?

Jim

We would have done better if the rear sight had a better way of adjusting windage. It's pretty much shoot, drift and shoot again. The Tech sights make it 100% better. We had a few FTE and it slowed us down some. I only needed 2 magazines (brought 4).

The Appleseed shoot was informative. My only gripe was the qualification target kinda screwed me up 'cause ALL the targets are smaller 100m ones and not the 100-300m targets like I trained on in the Army. (All prone targets, not torso shillouetts).

Overall it was a good teaching system. Learning to shoot with a sling, proper body positioning, fundamentals of marksmanship and explination of MOA and sight adjustment are all covered. I just wish there was more than 1 experienced instructors there. There were 2 trainees there and had valuable knowledge to pass on, but more seasoned indtructors would have been more effective. They teach more on shooting traditional rifles. I was using a .22lr Ar15 and another guy had a Polish AK74, there wasn't much direct help for us. I didn't get rifleman. Only 4 out of 30 did and they all had scopes.

Guest jimdigriz
We would have done better if the rear sight had a better way of adjusting windage. It's pretty much shoot, drift and shoot again. The Tech sights make it 100% better. We had a few FTE and it slowed us down some. I only needed 2 magazines (brought 4).

The Appleseed shoot was informative. My only gripe was the qualification target kinda screwed me up 'cause ALL the targets are smaller 100m ones and not the 100-300m targets like I trained on in the Army. (All prone targets, not torso shillouetts).

Overall it was a good teaching system. Learning to shoot with a sling, proper body positioning, fundamentals of marksmanship and explination of MOA and sight adjustment are all covered. I just wish there was more than 1 experienced instructors there. There were 2 trainees there and had valuable knowledge to pass on, but more seasoned indtructors would have been more effective. They teach more on shooting traditional rifles. I was using a .22lr Ar15 and another guy had a Polish AK74, there wasn't much direct help for us. I didn't get rifleman. Only 4 out of 30 did and they all had scopes.

The Lobelville shoot went very well. All four of the instructors were very knowledgeable, and I learned a great deal. As with your group, only 4 in ours (out of 25) made Rifleman, each of them using a scope. In fact, there were probably only 7 or 8 iron sight shooters there, including me. I got close enough toward the end of the second day to feel like, with a bit of additional practice, and time to put it all together, I could make Rifleman using iron sights. But that'll have to wait for the next one I'm able to go again, probably next year.

Jim