Guest kirkosaurus

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

From their website:

No Weapons

Firearms and other weapons are not permitted. Off-duty police carrying a weapon must notify Guest Services upon entering the Zoo.

Guest bkelm18

Also check and see if they are a city or private zoo. If it's a city zoo, then it would likely be considered a city park, which is a no go for carry as of right now.

Edited to add: It looks like it is part of Grassmere Park, so if it is city operated then it is definitely a no go. I'm not real sure what the specifics are on private property within a city park.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest redbarron06

I think that the zoo is private but because it is in Grassmere park it would be illegal to even have a gun in the car in the parking lot.

This also means that off duty police do not have to notify anybody because they passed a law so they "could carry the same place we can".

Guest 270win

If it means anything to you, I carry everytime I go to the Memphis Zoo. It is right next to Overton Park. The place where the devil is would have to freeze over before I would go to that area without a gun on me. I have never seen legal signs at the Memphis Zoo, but again it being in that area of Memphis, I highly doubt a $500 fine would keep me from carrying. I haven't gone through metal detectors at the Memphis Zoo, so I just walk right in and enjoy seeing everything with my handgun concealed.

I still have yet to see the Memphis Zoo properly posted with the new signs. Memphis does not do anything right...so I doubt they would put up the right signs to make it legal. I have driven by Nathan B Forrest Park frequently and have yet to see a sign thrown up to make carry there illegal. On a flip side...The Memphis Zoo is not in the greatest part of town (Overton Park). You do not really want to walk around there without a gun. You are in the #2 most violent city in the country. Homeless drug addicts and gang members frequent that park. I'd probably even risk suspension (perm loss does not seem possible in the law) of my permit to keep myself safe in that area. I doubt you'd get the misdemeanor max 2500 fine or even any jail time if you have a clean record. Memphis does not have the jail space...they catch and release far worse. That is just one of those places in Memphis that i'd carry even without a permit and wouldn't blame a non felon for doing so for protection.

I still have yet to see the Memphis Zoo properly posted with the new signs. Memphis does not do anything right...so I doubt they would put up the right signs to make it legal. I have driven by Nathan B Forrest Park frequently and have yet to see a sign thrown up to make carry there illegal. On a flip side...The Memphis Zoo is not in the greatest part of town (Overton Park). You do not really want to walk around there without a gun. You are in the #2 most violent city in the country. Homeless drug addicts and gang members frequent that park. I'd probably even risk suspension (perm loss does not seem possible in the law) of my permit to keep myself safe in that area. I doubt you'd get the misdemeanor max 2500 fine or even any jail time if you have a clean record. Memphis does not have the jail space...they catch and release far worse. That is just one of those places in Memphis that i'd carry even without a permit and wouldn't blame a non felon for doing so for protection.

While I agree with all you say, was just pointing out the max you could be charged with.

And yes, you can lose HCP permanently; law says can be suspended or REVOKED for any of reasons, one being:

"Has violated any other provision of §§ 39-17-1351"

Which of course a conviction on carrying in a park would be a said violation.

- OS

Guest kirkosaurus

OK, went to the zoo today and didn't carry. Didn't see any signs posted.

There are conflicting views here though. Is it considered a local Metro park or a private partk? I don't see anything about it on their website.

Were there the proper 39-17-1311 signs? According to the new park law, a city or county MUST post these signs to make carry illegal. Just because there is a city council vote, that does not make carrying in the park illegal. There must be EXACTLY worded and EXACTLY sized signs in order for them to carry any legal weight....that is why i was saying in a previous post that Memphis never does anything right, I would be shocked to see signs posted properly at all the entrances to all the city parks in Memphis. Memphis politicians and most city workers aren't that bright.

Of course, I sure wouldn't be calling the city of Nashville and letting them know that you did not see any signs....do not bring it to their attention or they may put up the right sign. Some of us are discreet and notice if there is no sign...we just carry.

Guest bkelm18
Were there the proper 39-17-1311 signs? According to the new park law, a city or county MUST post these signs to make carry illegal. Just because there is a city council vote, that does not make carrying in the park illegal. There must be EXACTLY worded and EXACTLY sized signs in order for them to carry any legal weight....that is why i was saying in a previous post that Memphis never does anything right, I would be shocked to see signs posted properly at all the entrances to all the city parks in Memphis. Memphis politicians and most city workers aren't that bright.

Of course, I sure wouldn't be calling the city of Nashville and letting them know that you did not see any signs....do not bring it to their attention or they may put up the right sign. Some of us are discreet and notice if there is no sign...we just carry.

The size does not have to be exact. It just has to be larger than a certain length x width. I forget the numbers.

Guest Bill Lumberg

Well put. You won't find off-duty police making a habit of telling guest services much of anything though. Weird request. Zoo is pretty safe, not too much of a thug element. Nolensville road isn't great though. Permittees would best manage by leaving their weapon in the car rather than at home.

It's $2,500, and/or 11/29 in stir.

And of course, almost certain loss of your HCP for good.

- OS

• 1 year later...
Guest monkeyhumper

Went to the nashville zoo yesterday. I looked high and low for a posting, and there was none. No gun buster, no signage whatsoever. I was even a passenger in my car, so I could scout everywhere from the entrance to the ticket booths.Glad I didn't have to pop a cappie in an over zealous elephant.

Guest bkelm18
Went to the nashville zoo yesterday. I looked high and low for a posting, and there was none. No gun buster, no signage whatsoever. I was even a passenger in my car, so I could scout everywhere from the entrance to the ticket booths.Glad I didn't have to pop a cappie in an over zealous elephant.

Technically speaking, I think Nashville Zoo is managed by the city and falls under the city park rule. I'm not sure if Nashville has banned guns in parks, if so, it would still need to be posted.

Guest monkeyhumper

In other words, CARRY ON.

Until there's a legal posting, it's legal to carry.

They will most likely ask you to leave if you OC, though.

Uh oh. I just said OC.

IN BEFORE THE RAGING CC VS. OC DEBATE AND SUBSEQUENT LOCK!

Guest 270win

Lay low and be discreet so the city zoo people don't know about people legally carrying a handgun. I like to keep it that way so i can carry my handgun everywhere.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I've recently started hiking/walking & around here at most parks you can carry. I go to Dunbar sometimes & walk around, which is a state park so carry is legal, & Rotary Park, which is a Montgomery county park where you can legally carry.

I was thinking about looking into going to some parks in Nashville to walk around, but after seeing a story the other day in The Tennessean where some dude got robbed & seeing that some (all?) of the Nashville parks are posted as not allowing carry, I think I'll just be staying around here.

I'm still confused as to the Nashville Zoo. Is it off limits 'cause its in a park or is it ok to carry there since its not posted? The world may never know.....

Guest bkelm18

I'm still confused as to the Nashville Zoo. Is it off limits 'cause its in a park or is it ok to carry there since its not posted? The world may never know.....

It is off limits because it is a Nashville city park and they have banned firearms in parks, however state law says that even if it is off limits, it has to be posted in accordance with the law. So take that for what it's worth.

Guest 270win

The only Nashville park I've been to, if you call it a park, is down along the river downtown. I never saw anything that made it illegal to carry, so I carried. I wouldn't let the Nashville government know about that or they will spend the money to make it illegal under state law. I haven't seen any such signs in a couple Memphis city parks either, even though Memphis complained about people carrying guns in parks. Again, I would not advertise the fact that there are not signs up at these big cities' parks. Keep quiet and keep it hidden or they will make it very illegal like Germantown, Tennessee has done with these big signs at all entrances quoting specific state law that you can be punished with a Class A Misdemeanor.