Car guys: Anyone here own a Chrysler 300C SRT8?

• Administrator

Technically I've been into cars longer than I've been into guns. I blame it on my parents buying me Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars from the time I was old enough to cram their lead-painted metal bodies into my mouth, because I still haven't stopped playing with things that have wheels.

Guns came later but thankfully someone told me I shouldn't stick those in my mouth. ;)

My wife and I are thinking about replacing our 2005 Acura TL with a Chrysler 300C SRT8. I miss having rear wheel drive V8 torque, but I absolutely need a 4-door car for family and business. I only get to see my Diesel F250 when my wife wants it washed or fueled up.

What I'm wondering is: Does anyone here own one of those cars and if so, what are your thoughts on them? Problems? Hidden surprises? Things a prospective buyer needs to know before deciding?

I've got one for today and just need to put some miles on it and see if it agrees with my inner carbon-footprint.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

I almost bought 1 a couple years back. They are great cars. They look so Dam good ESP with a nice set of wheels (22,s). We ended up with a Hemi Magnum instead because my wife liked alot better her main complaint was she didn't like the cheesy woodgrain trim on the interior. I'm sure you will like it. We haven't had any issues with our magnum thus far. I do think the 300 is 1 of the best looking cars on the road.

• Administrator
You want RWD? Get a 2 yr old CPO BMW. No way I'd buy a Chrysler these days.

BMWs have no soul. --Clarkson

I almost bought 1 a couple years back. They are great cars. They look so Dam good ESP with a nice set of wheels (22,s). We ended up with a Hemi Magnum instead because my wife liked alot better her main complaint was she didn't like the cheesy woodgrain trim on the interior. I'm sure you will like it. We haven't had any issues with our magnum thus far. I do think the 300 is 1 of the best looking cars on the road.

That's good to hear. Thanks. ;)

Guest mustangdave

David...300C SRT8....that's a whole lota CAR there son 370 cubes of HEMI at about 4400lbs gross weight. Its a high speed CRUISER...unless they've changed it some...its got an auto tranny...3.08 rear end gearing is its down fall IMHO...that said...hang a mirror ball in it you can have a small Disco...for a family it should do nicely...it makes a great Pimp Daddy car to...LOL

I have not owned a 300 but I have driven them "hard" on an SRT open track, autocross, drag track. I am not a fan of the SRT 300. The SRT 8 Charger and Magnum were the better feeling vehicles the day that I drove them. I really like the SRT 6 Crossfire (no longer made) and the Jeep SRT 8.

You may want to drive a SRT event to see what you like best... However, I do not see a SRT event in our area this fall DriveSRT - Schedule

• Administrator

The SRT8 300C is the only option on the table right now. Appearances are all about personal tastes and my wife and I actually like the car's appearance a lot. I'm not going to open track it or take it to the drag strip, so some of those things aren't very consequential.

I do like the SRT8 Jeep but it's really gains nothing in terms of interior space (actually sacrifices some) and most of them are outside of my price range.

Guest JHatmaker

I've read the brakes on the 300 SRT are amazing, especially considering the weight of the vehicle. Car and Driver back in the day when they tested it new said it braked as well as an E55.

I'd like the get one of the Jeep SRT's, but my car's paid for, so it'll be a while....

What color is it?

• Administrator
I've read the brakes on the 300 SRT are amazing, especially considering the weight of the vehicle. Car and Driver back in the day when they tested it new said it braked as well as an E55.

I'd like the get one of the Jeep SRT's, but my car's paid for, so it'll be a while....

What color is it?

The one I'm looking at right now is Bright Silver Metallic. I dig silver cars. Easier to maintain. ;)

• Administrator
I have driven both (charger and 300) and the SRT8 is a nice vehicle, I am sure you would enjoy it. However, I ended up purchasing a G8 GT since it rode so much nicer to me. I love the SRT cars, I owned a SRT-4 3 years before I traded it.

I do like the G8 and honestly believe it's the best looking Pontiac that has ever been made with 4 doors, but they are outside my price range requirements. We've gotten to where we won't buy if we can't pay cash.

Guest JHatmaker

I've typically been a German car guy since way back in the day. But after test driving a G8 GT, I was pleasantly surprised (I know it's technically Australian, but still)

I think once you start tooling around town in that 300C, you'll quickly forget about any "issues" that may come up. Horsepower fixes everything!

I almost bought one of these when they first came out until I realized that I was getting ready to spend 45k on something that would be worth 45% of its value in 2 years.

I would say that are amazing cars IF:

It has less than 35k miles

You buy it for less than 22-23k

Guest mustangdave
I almost bought one of these when they first came out until I realized that I was getting ready to spend 45k on something that would be worth 45% of its value in 2 years.

VERY TRUE...brother in law got an 07 SRT8 Charger had it for about a year...traded for an 09 GT500....he got 24K trade on it...lost half its value and had i think 10K on the odometer

Do you intend on modifying it performance-wise? chrysler/dodge arent the easiest to modify compared to GM.

I personally really like the 300C, but I like the G8 that much more. You might look at a first gen CTS-V although it is 6-speed manual only, should be approx the same price range if you look around. Very nice cars.

Do you intend on modifying it performance-wise? chrysler/dodge arent the easiest to modify compared to GM.

I personally really like the 300C, but I like the G8 that much more. You might look at a first gen CTS-V although it is 6-speed manual only, should be approx the same price range if you look around. Very nice cars.

...WHEEL HOP......

• Administrator

Check and check. We're being offered a pretty smoking deal on this car by a guy that I've dealt with quite a bit over the past 10 years. I've got it for the next 24hrs or so to test and see what we think.

A big advantage is that my wife will be able to drive it. She tried to get the hang of the manual trans in the Acura and it just wasn't a good fit for her. No fault of hers; I've been driving a manual for the past 21 years and the Acura's crappy transmission gives me trouble at times.

No, not going to modify it. I've got a other cars for that. This needs to stay reliable, and once you start down that path you inevitably trade some reliability for performance no matter how well planned out the changes are.

I love the CTS-V also, but have not found one in good shape, with low miles at the price point we're shopping within.

Crappy Blackberry pic...

IMG00040.jpg