Slide question...

I have gotten conflicting opinions on this, so I'll ask the crowd. Many of you keep a gun in the nightstand or other location - is it better to A. Keep it loaded at all times, B. Keep it unloaded with the slide back, or C. Keep it unloaded with the slide forward? The gun in question gets fired every two weeks or so, and I'm asking in reference to protecting the springs, not in terms of tactics. Bottom line, what is the best way to keep my springs in the best shape?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SureShot308

+1

If you have to use it in the middle of the night loading your gun is one more thing that you don't want to do when you are just waking up to a noise in the dark. I'd replace a spring once a year for that comfort.

An unloaded gun is a paperweight. Don't believe the hype. Load it and leave it like God intended, ready to void birth certificates.

+1 for a perfect answer.

I don't understand this preoccupation with springs. There must be a lot of bad information circulating outside of internet gun forums.

I'd replace a spring once a year for that comfort.

There's also some bad info circulating on the internet. You gain nothing from routinely changing springs on a gun. You actually run a higher risk of replacing a known good spring with a bad spring or messing something else up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by enfield
An unloaded gun is a paperweight. Don't believe the hype. Load it and leave it like God intended, ready to void birth certificates.

Great truth here!! For what its worth; I keep mine fully loaded, one in the spout with the hammer down -- "...ready to void birth certificates" as Punisher so elequently stated ... , I know this has fell out of favor; but in the old days it was common. All it takes is to cock as you draw and you are ready to do business. Others may prefer the "cocked and locked" method. Same thing; newer day.

By the way, dont worry about springs. They are plenty good nowdays.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest SureShot308

I didn't say that I replace every spring on all my guns every year. I just made the statement that I would do that if I was worried about the springs for the comfort of having a gun that I don't have to load when something goes bump in the night.

I switch out magazines every time I go shoot. Only had 2 for the first 12 years so I wanted to make them last. Unless my glock is in it's holster I don't keep a round in the chamber. If you feel comfortable picking up a cocked and locked weapon in total darkness than that is your choice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...