AM I ABLE TO CARRY IN MY WORK VEHICLE

Guest mudduck

Guest mudduck

I HAVE TALKED TO MY BOSS HE IS FINE WITH ME CARRING IN MY WORK TRUCK,THE BIG QUESTION IS IS IT LEGAL TO CARRY IN A COMPANY VEHICLE,IT IS A WRECKER-TOW TRUCK,I DO NOT HAVE A CDL.ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE,IM NOT SURE WHO TO EVEN ASK, THANKS

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your boss says it's Ok and you have an HCP, you're good to go.

And FYI, it is NOT against the law for those of us with CDL's to carry while on the job. As long as we have an HCP and aren't driving somewhere where firearms are prohibited or a state that does not recognize TN's HCP, we are good to go. There is NO law that says truck drivers can't carry firearms.

the only problem with commercial drivers carrying firearms is if you are unsure as to where your next destination might be. scenario: you live in TN, you get sent to texas which honors the TN permit, then you get sent to california, huge pain in the ass there. then to boot, you were sent to a california military base. that is the biggest headache that commercial drivers face while carrying. well, OTR drivers anyway.

Guest redbarron06
the only problem with commercial drivers carrying firearms is if you are unsure as to where your next destination might be. scenario: you live in TN, you get sent to texas which honors the TN permit, then you get sent to california, huge pain in the ass there. then to boot, you were sent to a california military base. that is the biggest headache that commercial drivers face while carrying. well, OTR drivers anyway.

If you think driving an 18 wheeler onto a military base with a gun in it is a pain try driving an armored car onto the base with several guns and millions in cash. Seems to come to an impass real quick as the armored car is covered by federal law than the military base is not. I had a contract for the ATMs down at Ft McPherson in Atlanta and it took me a month and a letter from a 4 star general to get on the base to fill the ATM for the post bank.

Wherever your TN permit is not recognized is when you behave like any other lawful citizen and legally lock your unloaded weapon up separate from the ammo.

I admit that military or other high security government facilities (or even sensitive government contractor sites) might pose a problem, though.

- OS

Guest 3pugguy
I HAVE TALKED TO MY BOSS HE IS FINE WITH ME CARRING IN MY WORK TRUCK,THE BIG QUESTION IS IS IT LEGAL TO CARRY IN A COMPANY VEHICLE,IT IS A WRECKER-TOW TRUCK,I DO NOT HAVE A CDL.ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE,IM NOT SURE WHO TO EVEN ASK, THANKS

As long as you have an HCP and there is not a written company policy prohibiting it (verbal from boss is great but check if you have an employee handbook to be safe), you are good to go - same restrictions on where you can carry as in any other situation.

And I would think that's a good idea, as you likely go out at all times of the day and night and into all sorts of areas.

Guest mudduck

i work for a family owned wrecker service,my boss is the owner,he said he encourages me to carry while at work,i do have a hcp,and most of the time i stay in the state of tn,my boss and myself just wanted to make sure i legally could carry in a commercial vehicle,i dont want to get stop at a scale house with it and get busted..just wanting to make sure....hate to get checked and im not suppost to be carying my gun...i would hate to loose my hcp over it...

i work for a family owned wrecker service,my boss is the owner,he said he encourages me to carry while at work,i do have a hcp,and most of the time i stay in the state of tn,my boss and myself just wanted to make sure i legally could carry in a commercial vehicle,i dont want to get stop at a scale house with it and get busted..just wanting to make sure....hate to get checked and im not suppost to be carying my gun...i would hate to loose my hcp over it...

Nope. No law(s) against carrying in a commercial vehicle. Carry on, my friend.

If it makes you feel any better, I carry on a daily basis in my commercial vehicle (18-wheeler), and cross the TN and KY scales on a regular basis. No worries.

are you an owner operator or company driver? and if your company lets you legally carry, id be curious as to who that is. you can PM me the name if you dont want it aired out for all to see. i start my CDL training Sept 14th.

it is amusing how many times i have seen the topic of commercial vehicle carry discussed. i know there is no federal law against doing so. there might be some backwoods town in east bumble fook that might had a 45 year old ordinance about that, but honestly if you are legal to carry the weapon you are good to go.

anyone ever carried in an 18 wheeler in to california? if so, did you lock ammo and gun in different places and keep your trap shut?

Edited by cadillacdude1975

I'm a local company driver.

Most of your OTR companies will not allow you to carry a firearm because they never know where you'll be going. Plus, they are scared to death that you'll wanna shoot your lying-ass dispatcher:D. This especially going to be true of the companies that are willing to hire you right out of a CDL school. I can't think of one that doesn't have 'No Firearms' policy.

Once you have some experience (generally 1-year+), you may be able to find a firearms friendly company to work for. That's not too easy to do when it comes to the world of OTR trucking.

Guest mudduck

good thats good to hear,then people that tell me you cant carry in a commercial vehicle,that is only because of the company they work for, right?no laws against it. good i will carry mine then.... thanks