New web site for the Mid-South Guns & Gear Expo ... Feedback wanted

• Administrator

I've been busy working on a better web site for the Mid-South Guns & Gear Expo events that I'm co-producing with Joe @ Hero Gear, and I'd like some feedback on it.

Often designers/coders or jacks of all trades (like me) get a little cross-eyed when we are working on projects and miss obvious things. That's when getting more sets of eyeballs on it makes the whole process go a lot smoother. ;)

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think:

http://www.gunsandgearexpo.com

You can Google "gun shows" to see what most of the other sites look like. Most of them are hideous, so the bar was set pretty low to begin with, but I still want constructive suggestions. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Great job David, really nice looking site!

But it's lacking one thing. I don't see any pictures of guns on there???

I'm going to add a photo gallery. We'll put some pictures of the venue itself in there, plus some photos from the shows.

Guest mikedwood
I'm going to add a photo gallery. We'll put some pictures of the venue itself in there, plus some photos from the shows.

I think it's looking great so far and am sure it will look even better.

You wanted constructive suggestions so...

It needs a photo gallery of the inside of the venue, when available.

I hate to say it but the map looks like at least part of it was made on MS Paint. It might look better to just put up a zoomed out Mapquest map with the address as a point of interest.

Guest coldblackwind

Looks pretty good. Maybe add something about how big it actually is though? I see there's a square footage in the vendor section, but not the stuff the average joe would look at. You know, number of tables, number of vendors, sq ft, something of that nature? Might draw in more people, I know when they started advertising the smyrna show, the number of tables is what caught my attention. By the way, yes I know you probably aren't sure what all vendors, or how many will be there yet, as this is just getting off the ground, but its just a thought.

Guest HexHead

I know this will likely ruffle some feathers, but I think there's a reason every other gun show I've been to where things are being sold makes you check/ clear all firearms at the door. I don't think they need to be secured with a tie wrap or anything, but allowing loaded weapons in with concealed carry may be a mistake. There's sure to be some yahoo that decides at the last minute he wants to try a holster or light or something on his pistol and doesn't want to walk to the other end of the building.

Just too many rules, easier to just say "No loaded weapons". Period.

To the best of my knowledge, there's never been an incident requiring self defense inside a gun show.

Edited by HexHead
  • Administrator
You wanted constructive suggestions so...

It needs a photo gallery of the inside of the venue, when available.

I hate to say it but the map looks like at least part of it was made on MS Paint. It might look better to just put up a zoomed out Mapquest map with the address as a point of interest.

Again, photos will be added. We have nothing to post pictures of yet.

The map is supposed to look like that. If you do a zoomed out Mapquest map, it shows a boat-load of clutter. I wanted to only show the main arteries coming into and out of Winchester. Obviously if they want a more detailed map, they are going to use the GoogleMaps link. :)

• Administrator

Just too many rules, easier to just say "No loaded weapons". Period.

To the best of my knowledge, there's never been an incident requiring self defense inside a gun show.

We will definitely adjust the rules as necessary, perhaps before the event itself. Right now our desire is to accommodate those who wish to provide for their own legal means of self defense.

BUT... we may be over ridden by our insurance company (whom we have yet to hear back from) so this may all be moot as they could very well stipulate that "No loaded weapons, period" become part of the rules.