Obama will own teh interwebz

Guest mn32768

Guest mn32768

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet | Politics and Law - CNET News

A proposed bill would give the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

The bill would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

"All peasants will toil in the fields for twelve hours each day." "All glory to the hypnobama."

Just practicing for my future job as commisar.

Is Al Gore going to sell it to him?

There is no way this would be able to pass. Our country does not own the internet.

I do not see how it would be possible for him to "shut it down" to non-government networks.

There was a time not too long ago when our government didn't own things like automobile factories and banks, but that has changed. It all boils down to this: Democrat or Republican, neither side is actually doing anything to make the government smaller or shorten its reach. While I don't THINK this will pass, and I certainly HOPE that it doesn't, I wouldn't say there's no way. Damn, I hope you're right.

Guest mn32768
I do not see how it would be possible for him to "shut it down" to non-government networks.

Government wiretapping equipment is still in AT&T datacenters, and the Obama administration is fighting nail and tooth to keep it there. If the government can intercept every bit that flows on the AT&T backbone, don't you think they can as easily turn the spigot off? The backbone goes down, and you're left with a bunch of LANs.

Government wiretapping equipment is still in AT&T datacenters, and the Obama administration is fighting nail and tooth to keep it there. If the government can intercept every bit that flows on the AT&T backbone, don't you think they can as easily turn the spigot off? The backbone goes down, and you're left with a bunch of LANs.

If I'm not mistaken, those devices are passive. And I don't think AT&T is the only place where they have them.

There is no way this would be able to pass. Our country does not own the internet.

They don't own the internet but they do control telecommunications, including the useage of the internet.

"They" don't "shut it down" they require the ISP's shut down civilian access. It's not hard.

Guest mustangdave

You can bet your bottom dollar that some whiz kid is doing the math to figure out how to do this. After all the INTERNET was a creation of DARPA...(and not Al Gore as so many think...) and DARPA is the DOD "brain-trust"

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsfanbrian viewpost.gif

Originally Posted by saintsfanbrian viewpost.gif

He will do it through his communication Czar.(who controls the FCC)

(His 41 Czars are accountable to no one but wing nut boy).

They hae NO congressional oversight.

The plan is to call a cyber attack "crisis" and declare martial law.

The guy is dangerous. He needs to be a 1 term President.

Guest 3pugguy

Good point - damn up the river and anyone downstream is dry.

And AT&T is the BIG DOG for comm backbone/network structure.

Guest ScottD
any HAM radio operators on TGO?

KJ4CTS reporting for duty. In fact I have just finished setting up my digipeter/iGate for APRS today. Amateur radio ops don't need Obama's internet.

The real concern to me is that, in the case of an actual cyber-terrorist attack, they'd be taking the wrong systems offline. Government systems and utility company systems are the ones that would need to be taken offline, not private computers. Obviously they know this and I hope this law is struck down because they can't justify their reasoning. I expect that if they passed the law, and did a shut down, cell phone systems would go down at the same time.

The ham radio operators have the right idea. It may be time for my wife and I to get ours again. We let them lapse a while ago. CB radio sales will skyrocket if this passes.

Spread the word about this and we can defeat it.

Guest TurboniumOxide

The internet is fault-tolerant and will route around the morons in washington. Everyone needs to get a HAM radio, and optionally, a license, just in case.

This is a case of Obama and his evil brothers "Overwhelming the System".

Edited by TurboniumOxide