Restaurant Cleanliness Ratings

Okay, so you have your hand on the restaurant door you've been looking forward to for lunch, getting ready to enter, when out of the corner of your eye you see a recent inspection report that grades the operation's cleanliness on a scale of... 1-100 points. What score would be low enough to make you turn around and find some other place to eat? :)

For me, it would probably be something in the mid-80s unless I'd eaten there before and knew the place. If it was an Awful House I had an itching for, I'd lower my standards another 10 points. :tough:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

Well I work in the restaurant business and can tell you that your health score doesn't really reflect how clean the restaurant is. i have been into some establishments that have received upper 90's on their inspection and the restaurant be nasty, on more than one occasion.

I tend to look at what they missed, like having the dumpster doors open is 5 points off, so is storing food at the wrong temps, which do you think is worse.

Guest db99wj
Well I work in the restaurant business and can tell you that your health score doesn't really reflect how clean the restaurant is. i have been into some establishments that have received upper 90's on their inspection and the restaurant be nasty, on more than one occasion.

I tend to look at what they missed, like having the dumpster doors open is 5 points off, so is storing food at the wrong temps, which do you think is worse.

Depends if they are getting the food out of the dumpster or not....

Yep, violation specific.

Yeah, those ratings are ridiculous. They mean virtually nothing. We've gotten points off and none of it was food or cleanliness related. Had to do with seating and structural things in the oldest residential building in Nashville, built in 1848. Go figure.

When we deliver wine and spirits to restaurants we almost always go throuigh the service entrance in back. And then through the kitchens.

I don't care what the scores are. The smells and grease on the floor have ruined me from eating out very much. Restaurants are basically disgusting.

Guest db99wj

Also I would like to add, I don't look at the restaurant postings because that is where they keep all the other signs usually....and I don't read signs...:tough:

Guest JHatmaker
When we deliver wine and spirits to restaurants we almost always go throuigh the service entrance in back. And then through the kitchens.

I don't care what the scores are. The smells and grease on the floor have ruined me from eating out very much. Restaurants are basically disgusting.

I hear ya. From talking with friends who have worked in restaurants, it's nasty. I limit myself. Problem is my wife loves mexican, so I just kinda have to grin and bear it.

As far as ratings, I probably wouldn't eating anywhere if their score was below an 80. Some of the deductions are silly, like the broom incident, or a towel on a sink. It's the roaches, and food stored at wrong temps you gotta watch out for. :tough:

Guest Bluemax
That's good advice. I have eaten a few things from a strip club I probably shouldn't have...:eek:B)

I always wondered what that tickle was in the back of my throat after lunch at the Mouse's Ear :P:D:D

Guest bkelm18

I pay no attention to those ratings. Being a maintenance tech, I am somewhat intimately familiar with the food facilities where I work and can honestly say I would not touch anything prepared in any of them, even though most of them have scores in the 90's.

Guest HexHead
I hear ya. From talking with friends who have worked in restaurants, it's nasty. I limit myself. Problem is my wife loves mexican, so I just kinda have to grin and bear it.

The Mexican restaurants tend to have pretty high ratings. The Las Palmas here in Bellevue has a 99!

It's the Chinese places you really have to watch out for. ;)