Who has a P238?

Guest eyebedam

Guest eyebedam

If you have 1 post pics of yours with your likes & dislikes of the gun. Also if you had it all to do over again would you still buy it or go another route.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros: Shoots great, feels great, nice heft

Cons: Mag issues, recall issues, failure to eject issues, recoil spring issues, customer service issues, heavy for a .380 w/ 6 round capacity

If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited a year for them to figure out how to make the pistol properly. Then I would buy a used one instead of giving my money to Sig directly. As it is, I got mine fixed at the factory and now I'm trading it away

Guest SureShot308

I was thinking about getting one, but the first one I have seen was this past weekend. I ended up getting the Kahr P380, and I love it. I may end up getting the P238 also.

Guest Crunchman

I traded for one just a week ago. Got home and a friend called about the "safety upgrade" recall on them. Turns out that the ones like mine (rosewood grip and tritium night sights) do not fall under the recall. We've fired about 100 rounds through it with 2 FTFs. I expect it to smooth on up with more use. My wife is using it for her EDC and can hold all shots in the center of mass at 7 to 15 yards. Sorry, no pics taken yet.

Guest JHatmaker

The biggest thing I like about it is the size and weight, it's easy to drop into my back or front pocket and forget it's there. It has a great trigger and feels good in my hand. So far the only issue I've had is the recall (which they are taking care of). I've had no FTF/FTE's so far.

I would buy it again if I had the choice, but maybe go with the all black with rosewood grips model. Shot's below are before and after with JeffsSig's aluminum grips, as well as a comparison to a Rohrbaugh R9s.

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

SIGP238002.jpg

SIGP238004.jpg

SIGP238003.jpg

SIGP238005.jpg

SIGP238007.jpg

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest eyebedam
I just cannot understand the desire for a .380 pistol? I have shot a few and personally think the caliber is a joke, aside from that it is a nice little Sig ;)

I understand where your coming from. For me though it's so much easier for me to carry while working when I can just drop it in my back pocket & go. I'm constantly bending over & jumping in & out of a truck a dealing with customers& I can't take the chance of them seeing my carry piece. I've considered getting a PPS or maybe even a Kahr but I think they are still a Little big for pocket carry & I've had a couple j-frames & they are great guns but I just don't really care for carrying a revolver.

Guest eyebedam
I'm glad I didn't wait and picked up a Colt Mustang instead. The SIG looks like it was hit with an ugly stick in comparison. :rolleyes:

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think the Sig is pretty dam sexy. ESP the Nitron with Rosewood grips.

• Administrator
I've had a couple j-frames & they are great guns but I just don't really care for carrying a revolver.

Yeah but the .38SPL or .357Mag coming out of a J-frame would probably have better chances of success than the .380ACP don't you think?

Guest JHatmaker

I'm using the P238 strickly as a back up, and when I can't carry one of my larger SIGs (i.e. work, they just think it's a wallet). While I know the benefits aren't as good as a 9mm or even a .38 SPC; I prefer it over a J-Frame....at least until I get an LCR :rolleyes:

And personally, I like the looks of the SIG over the Colt, but to each his own...

Guest eyebedam
Yeah but the .38SPL or .357Mag coming out of a J-frame would probably have better chances of success than the .380ACP don't you think?

I totally agree with you on the stopping power but I hate carrying in my front pocket & a revolver isn't comfortable at all in my backpocket. When I had my lcp it was with me from when I woke up untill my head hit the pillow at night. I never went anywhere without it. I can't say I had the same dedication when I had a revolver. The .380 may not have the same stopping power but if in the worst case scenerio I have to use my .380 someone will still be having a bad day. It's still gonna hurt.

I also want to add when I'm not working I'm carrying my EMP.

Edited by eyebedam
Guest HexHead
Not if he's not carrying it. :rolleyes:

I've got both the Mustang and a J-frame. It's nice having the choice depending on which pants I'm wearing if I'm not going to wear a holster.

The flatter Mustang works better for pocket carry in my jeans, while the J-frame works better for "side" pockets.

Guest Ravendove

I just don't have the kind of cash to put behind a whole lot of handgun purchases so I have to limit myself to very strict sets of needs. As soon as I get my .380, (they said it's finally on its way) I'll have two configurations. Those are concealable and ultra-concealable. I'm sorry but anything bigger than .380 just doesn't lend itself well to the latter. Recent news reports show that a .22LR can and will kill someone, so I'm sure .380 will do. As for the first config, my main carry is .40 JHP.

I was thinking about the P238 for the wife but now I'm not so sure. What's the track record for post recall firearms in this situation? She's afraid of standard caliber recoil and the loud noise associated with them so it'll have to be something small.

Guest SureShot308

My .380 is with me all the time when I am not at work. I get home it goes in my pocket and stays there. I can't say the same for my 1911 though. When I leave the house my 1911 is on my side most of the time, but not quite always. If I have the choice I would rather used the .45, but the .380 is there just in case.

Guest eyebedam

Well I straped on the EMP today in my K&D thunderbird holster & headed out to work. While the holster did it's job & kept my gun in place. Itade me realize how much I enjoy pocket carrying at work. More than once my gun was exposed with all my twisting & turning & I just can't have that at work. So it looks like a Rosewood Grip Sig P238 is in my very near future unless the microtech archangel 9mm comes out first.

Guest JHatmaker
So it looks like a Rosewood Grip Sig P238 is in my very near future unless the microtech archangel 9mm comes out first.

Not that is a cool looking gun....I've heard Winter 2009. We all know how that goes...

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest eyebedam
Ever thought about the Glock 36 Slimline? I'll admit that "slim" my only apply in comparison to other Glocks, but I'd check it out if I were you.

I'll give it a look but I've about decided if it can't fit in my right rear pocket it won't work for me. Atleast in this application. But a glock 36 would be nice to have for weekend & after work festivities.