"Hammer Follow"

Guest Rugerman

Guest Rugerman

Have any of you ever experienced "hammer follow" while shooting a 1911? I have a brand new gun that I went to shoot and the hammer was following the slide home. What are the major causes of this? Right now Dan Wesson emailed me a prepaid shipping label and seemed VERY eager to get the gun in their hands. They said they will have it back to me in 10-14 days. Can someone give me a mechanical breakdown of why the hammer would follow the slide down to half-cock? Also, why will it only do this during firing, but not during hand cycling? The gun is nearly new, and from my understanding, was not shot a ton.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SureShot308

Sounds like your engagement angle on your hammer hooks and sear might be off. I't close enough that when you hand cycle it the sear will stay engaged, but it's off enough that when cycled while shooting the sear slips off and catches the top notch.

Guest HexHead
I'm not a 1911 expert, but I don't believe that the trigger overtravel screw is the root cause of your problem. I think the manufacturer or a gunsmith still needs to take a close look at that pistol.

I'd still want to have the sear looked at.

Fixed. Trigger overtravel screw was about to fall out of this thing. Tightened and now not an issue.

I can't think of a single way the overtravel screw being backed out too far could cause hammer follow. And if you are not sure how to adjust DO NOT SHOOT IT until you have done so. You can completely ruin your sear hammer relationship. Here is a link on how to adjust it. Click on magazine articles and then trigger tuning.

Brazos Custom

The only way I can come up with (and this is kind of a long shot) is if the disconnect is bumping the sear when the disconnect is pushed back down by the slide because and the trigger bow has pushed it back too far angling it toward the sear. It's possible depending on the shape of sear and disconnect the is being used.

After some more thought and talking to a friend/smith the only other possibility would be the bow pushing the sear spring itself.

At any rate, put some blue loctie on the set screw and adjust it and if it fixes it, it was likely one of the two scenarios.

Hope this helps.