My next handgun purchases...

Guest Jamie

I haven't bought a new pistol in a while, so I figure I'm a bit overdue. With that in mind, I've been browsing around the 'net and looking at 3 guns that I've wanted for some time now, but for one reason or the other, just never got to.

The three are all revolvers, all Rugers, and occupy about as different a niche each as three guns can. They won't be bought all at once, and I'm still not 100% certain of the order. The first will be sometime in the next month or so, with the second following sometime after the first of the year. The third... who knows, but not too long after the second.

Anyway, here's my choices, in the order I think I'll end up buying them in:

A Ruger Bearcat. Stainless, I think, unless I happen into a good deal on a blued one, or just can't find the other.

I haven't owned a decent .22 revolver in a while, and it's time I remedied that. Especially given how much use I tend to get out of one.

The next is a SP101. A 3-inch barreled model.

The one thing I'm kind'a waffling on with it is caliber... on the one hand, I'm awfully fond of .357 mag, but on the other, the .327 Fed. Mag sure does look interesting.

The deciding factor there will probably be what the local dealer has or can find, and what he tells me concerning the availability of ammo for the .327.

The last is a Ruger Vaquero, in stainless, .357 mag, and with a 4-5/8 inch barrel. I've always loved single-actions, and this one should get lots of use... including as a carry gun, on occasion.

Anyway, those are my plans. The list may change, or, more likely, the order may change, but this is how it stands as of right now.

What do you folks think?

( No, you're not gonna change my mind, but it certainly makes for a good conversation to hear other's opinions. :D )

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you carry a single action revolver? unless you are referring to at a cowboy action shootnig event?

Because it's a type of gun that I'm quite familiar with, and can use quite well. Probably better than most people can use other more modern types of handgun.

And no, I don't do cowboy action shooting. I just pretty much grew up with a single-action of some type in my hand.

( By the way, I'm not the only one who still carries the old "hog legs" on occasion. )

oh, i understand. just that with most people, it would take longer to draw and cock the hammer and then pull the trigger than it would to just draw, click off safety and fire. bu if thats what you are comfortable with, no reason to not carry it. no doubt it looks better than a glock :D

oh, i understand. just that with most people, it would take longer to draw and cock the hammer and then pull the trigger than it would to just draw, click off safety and fire.

Getting a single-action cocked before it lines up on target is no big trick, it just takes practice. And I've had plenty of that... more than a quarter of a million rounds through one gun alone... an old single-six that I shot 'til I broke the transfer bar. And then there's the SAA clones in .45 colt, the BP guns, etc. I have no idea how many rounds I've put through those.

bu if thats what you are comfortable with, no reason to not carry it. no doubt it looks better than a glock :D

It'd about have to, wouldn't it? :P

Oh, and just to disturb some folks even further, it's entirely likely the Bearcat may get a turn as a carry gun... It'll depend on the situation, and how i figure I can carry it. After all, it's not that much larger than one of the NAA Black Widows.

Matter of fact, after I've shot it some, it may get a bit of custom work done to it; barrel shortened to 3 inches, grip altered to a "bird's head" configuration, and possibly a second cylinder in .22 mag. :)

Just depends on what I end up thinking of it, after I've gotten it and played with it a while.

Because it's a type of gun that I'm quite familiar with, and can use quite well. Probably better than most people can use other more modern types of handgun.

And no, I don't do cowboy action shooting. I just pretty much grew up with a single-action of some type in my hand.

( By the way, I'm not the only one who still carries the old "hog legs" on occasion. )

Ok then replace the single action revolver with the CZ 75 Tactical Sport(SA only) 9mm 20 round mag capacity and the most accurate handgun I own (HK USP Tactical 45 close 2nd).

Ok then replace the single action revolver with the CZ 75 Tactical Sport(SA only) 9mm 20 round mag capacity and the most accurate handgun I own (HK USP Tactical 45 close 2nd).

Why? I've owned a CZ-75B, and although it was a well-made service pistol, and fairly accurate, it didn't fit my hand very well. Honestly, I like my Hi-Power much better.

And a 20 round mag capacity doesn't really mean much to me. I'm well past my L.E.O. and military days, so protracted shoot-outs are hopefully NOT in my future. And if for some odd reason they are... I'm bringing a rifle. And a dozen or so friends with rifles.

Sorry, but the revolvers I've listed suit me just fine. Might not be everyone's cup o' tea, but they do all I need a handgun to do.

Oh, and speaking of accurate, one of the most accurate guns I've owned was an Uberti Cattleman... a Colt SAA clone.

That thing would drop all it's shots into an inch and a half at 25 yards for anybody that would hold it halfway still, all day long.

I'm hoping any Vaquero I come up with will do just half as well.

Edited by Jamie
Why? I've owned a CZ-75B, and although it was a well-made service pistol, and fairly accurate, it didn't fit my hand very well. Honestly, I like my Hi-Power much better.

And a 20 round mag capacity doesn't really mean much to me. I'm well past my L.E.O. and military days, so protracted shoot-outs are hopefully NOT in my future. And if for some odd reason they are... I'm bringing a rifle. And a dozen or so friends with rifles.

Sorry, but the revolvers I've listed suit me just fine. Might not be everyone's cup o' tea, but they do all I need a handgun to do.

Oh, and speaking of accurate, one of the most accurate guns I've owned was an Uberti Cattleman... a Colt SAA clone.

That thing would drop all it's shots into an inch and a half at 25 yards for anybody that would hold it halfway still, all day long.

I'm hoping any Vaquero I come up with will do just half as well.

The 75 B doesnt compare to the 75 Tactical Sport in terms of accuracy the 75 Tactical Sport is designed for IPSC competitions. Im not saying you would need the 20 rounds but what would it hurt to have an extra 14 rounds over the Vaquero and the guns weigh pretty much the same.

But you like what you like as long as it works for you thats all that matters I guess.

...and the guns weigh pretty much the same.

And that is the worst part of the Vaquero, or any other SAA or copy: the damned things are HEAVY! Especially in .357. with all the extra steel left in the barrel and cylinder.

But then, I guess they just wouldn't really be the same if they weighed any less... I just don't imagine a "lightweight" SAA would sell very well.

Guest 3pugguy

All of 'em look pretty nice to me. A work associate who lives in PA just bought the a Ruger in .357, 4 inch barrel (I believe) and says he likes it a lot. Think it's a 101 model.

And that is the worst part of the Vaquero, or any other SAA or copy: the damned things are HEAVY! Especially in .357. with all the extra steel left in the barrel and cylinder.

But then, I guess they just wouldn't really be the same if they weighed any less... I just don't imagine a "lightweight" SAA would sell very well.

I wouldnt want to shoot any light western style single actions in the bigger calibers with the small grips doesnt seem like it would be comfortable at all. Forget the Vaquero though I found you a nice Western Style SA that should be right up your alley.

Its the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum With a Bullet Weight of 900 grains and a muzzle velocity 1950 fps, it produces muzzle energy of 7591 ft/lbs or 3½ tons! It is 8 times more powerful than a Smith and Wesson.44 magnum and 3 times more powerful than the Smith and Wesson .50 Magnum.

It has a couple drawbacks though it does weigh 13.23 lbs (Cylinder alone weighs 4 lbs) and it cost a little more than a Vaquero $17,316 oh and the bullets start off at $40 each lol

However if you had to use this on someone they would just turn into a red mist in 1 shot:p

600revolver.jpg600-gun-5.jpg

I wouldnt want to shoot any light western style single actions in the bigger calibers with the small grips doesnt seem like it would be comfortable at all. Forget the Vaquero though I found you a nice Western Style SA that should be right up your alley.

Its the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum With a Bullet Weight of 900 grains and a muzzle velocity 1950 fps, it produces muzzle energy of 7591 ft/lbs or 3½ tons! It is 8 times more powerful than a Smith and Wesson.44 magnum and 3 times more powerful than the Smith and Wesson .50 Magnum.

It has a couple drawbacks though it does weigh 13.23 lbs (Cylinder alone weighs 4 lbs) and it cost a little more than a Vaquero $17,316 oh and the bullets start off at $40 each lol

However if you had to use this on someone they would just turn into a red mist in 1 shot:p

Y'know, it's been a loooong time since there were any rampaging woolly mammoths in Tennessee..... but that would be just the thing if any were still here. ;)

Still, I think I'll pass... my back's still in good shape and I'd like to keep it that way. And I'm quite sure I'd herniate a disk, toting that thing around.

Besides, I already have an inch and a quarter-bore black powder cannon.

Guest 3pugguy
oh, i understand. just that with most people, it would take longer to draw and cock the hammer and then pull the trigger than it would to just draw, click off safety and fire. bu if thats what you are comfortable with, no reason to not carry it. no doubt it looks better than a glock ;)

Oh, I am hurt...I have seen something uglier than my Glock - a girl in a foreign port was uglier than my Glock (had to have some SERIOUS beer goggles just to sit at the same table). But she loved me no s--t. :)

Oh, I am hurt...I have seen something uglier than my Glock - a girl in a foreign port was uglier than my Glock (had to have some SERIOUS beer goggles just to sit at the same table). But she loved me no s--t. :tough:

Oh c'mon now.... finding something uglier than a Glock isn't THAT difficult.

All you have to do is leave an old Heckler & Koch VP70 in a drawer with a staple gun for too long, and they'll produce one'a these fugly little fellas for ya:

spr_xd_4_black.jpg

;);):tough:

Guest D.B. Cooper
Oh, I am hurt...I have seen something uglier than my Glock - a girl in a foreign port was uglier than my Glock (had to have some SERIOUS beer goggles just to sit at the same table). But she loved me no s--t. :tough:

She love you "long time, five dollah"? ;)

I'd have to vote Sp101. Absolutely bomb-proof. and pretty. Mossy Creek Customs also has a package that is pricey...but oh so sweet.

Yeah, it's hard not to move it up to the top of the list.

But then if money weren't a problem, they'd all be at the top of the list.

Still, one at a time is better than none at a time.

Oh, and you should check out some of Hamilton Bowen's work on SP101s and various other Rugers.

Bowen Classic Arms

Guest Rugerman

Off of that list, MY favorite gun is the Ruger Vaquero. I like the Montado version and think it is a great carry gun if you like single action revolvers. It is my favorite single action revolver, in stainless.

Off of that list, MY favorite gun is the Ruger Vaquero. I like the Montado version and think it is a great carry gun if you like single action revolvers. It is my favorite single action revolver, in stainless.

The Vaquero really is my favorite too, it's just not my favorite carry gun. If things were to change so I could carry one in a western gun belt rig, then it would probably move up to my all-around favorite. :D

I'm not looking for that to happen any time soon though. "Partially concealed" is really the best I can do around here without attracting too much unwanted attention, or somebody thinking Buffalo Bill's Wild West show is in town. :)

And I like the Montado too.... except for the hammer. I think I prefer the standard hammer of the New Vaq. But then I don't spend much time on horseback either.

If Ruger would just bring back the bird's head grip frame in a 3 1/2 inch-barreled .357 mag model New Vaquero, I'd probably have found the "perfect" gun for me.

( I like .45 Colt too, but it's a pain to find around here, expensive when you do, and I just don't have the time or space to reload right now. )( I do still have most of the cases from the last time I had a .45 colt gun, stashed away though. )

Edited by Jamie

Y'know, I don't know whether to thank you or cuss you.... :D

( I think my wife might be inclined to cuss you. :blush: )

Y'see, I was sitting here last night, surfing through the various gun-related bookmarks on this machine, and I happened upon an old one for Davidson's. And after remembering our conversation here, and plugging my requirements into their "Gun Genie", I discovered that about the only Ruger SA they have in stock is the Montado...

And to make things even more interesting, it would seem that I have one of their vendors almost on my back step. :D

So... It looks like my list has gotten revised. An new .357 mag Montado is now at the top of the list, and the SP101 is off of it, for now. :P

I need to wait a while before I order it, but it looks like I'll be doing so about the middle of October.

Provided I can hold out that long. ;)

( I'm afraid I'm not known for my patience, once I figure out that I want something... :blush: )

Oh, by the way... what pretty much sealed the deal was going to Ruger's site, and discovering that I can order the regular hammer, if for some reason I just don't care for the one the Montado comes with. The hammers aren't a part that has to be factory fitted.

The Vaquero really is my favorite too, it's just not my favorite carry gun. If things were to change so I could carry one in a western gun belt rig, then it would probably move up to my all-around favorite. :D

If Ruger would just bring back the bird's head grip frame in a 3 1/2 inch-barreled .357 mag model New Vaquero, I'd probably have found the "perfect" gun for me.

( I like .45 Colt too, but it's a pain to find around here, expensive when you do, and I just don't have the time or space to reload right now. )( I do still have most of the cases from the last time I had a .45 colt gun, stashed away though. )

Jamie:___________

I like these guys too. They can be found on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica pretty regularly. You can also find a plow handle and change the grip frames off and make a birdshead. A couple of custom parts makers make them. Take a look at Brownells and you can find some of them. They also may be ruger replacement parts for this conversion -- brownells may have them too. Keep watching the local gun shows (i like the ones in the smaller venues and smaller towns best -- less "gun show special" business guys; more individuals -- better prices. I would also talk to my cowboy action shooting buddies. That's where these little jewels usually wind up; you may get lucky.

Anyway, good hunting!!

Kind regards,

LEROY

A Ruger Bearcat. Stainless, I think, unless I happen into a good deal on a blued one, or just can't find the other.

I haven't owned a decent .22 revolver in a while, and it's time I remedied that. Especially given how much use I tend to get out of one.

The next is a SP101. A 3-inch barreled model.

The one thing I'm kind'a waffling on with it is caliber... on the one hand, I'm awfully fond of .357 mag, but on the other, the .327 Fed. Mag sure does look interesting.

The deciding factor there will probably be what the local dealer has or can find, and what he tells me concerning the availability of ammo for the .327.

The last is a Ruger Vaquero, in stainless, .357 mag, and with a 4-5/8 inch barrel. I've always loved single-actions, and this one should get lots of use... including as a carry gun, on occasion.

Anyway, those are my plans. The list may change, or, more likely, the order may change, but this is how it stands as of right now.

What do you folks think?

( No, you're not gonna change my mind, but it certainly makes for a good conversation to hear other's opinions. :D )

Have you considered the 327 Fed/32 H&R Mag Single Six? How about the Blackhawk Ruger should have made 50yrs ago - 44spl on the old model 357 frame?

That would give you 3 new single actions. That's never a bad thing.