Is It Worth It

I have come across a guy that wants to sell a Hornady Progressive set up with .223 plates. Scales powder funnel and tumbler for 175$. Waiting on pic and more info on the press. I know nothing about Hornady. If its in good shape with the extras is it worth it. I have a single stage set up already. but a pro with the .223 would be nice.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just didn't know. Its only the press with the .223 dies. Nothing else. What would it cost to add the powder dropper. I'm running a single stage for my pistols. Would be nice to be able to reload for the EBR a lil smoother. Is the press itself worth the 175$?

Guest FroggyOne2

If you don't want to spend that.. I will put you into a Dillion 550B with 38/357 and 40/10mm dies, 8 lbs of powder, 2400 primers, brass and two lead pots, lead, mold for the 40/10mm, a Star Luber Sizer with die for 40cal, and a 6 cavity mold for 40 cal. All for the low price of 1200 dollars.

In my research, I've found that you can get into a Dillon 550 in one caliber for just over $400.00.

I did some searching, and found Hornady sells the case activated powder drop for $64.25. There is also a rifle micrometer metering insert that's an additional $34.77. I'm not familiar enough with the Hornady stuff to know if the metering valve is a necessary addition.

From looking at it, it appears you may also need a primer feeder, bullet feed, and maybe even a case feeder? Again, I'm not familiar with Hornady presses, but it appears that a lot of things could be missing. Going off the Hornday site, it looks like roughly $65 for a powder measure, and $50 for a primer feeder. So $175 looks more like $290. Still might not be a bad deal. I'm going from prices for the Lock N Load press parts. Not sure if the press you're looking at is that model, or if parts will interchange. If it's old and incompatible with Lock n Load stuff, it might be difficult to find the accessories.

It's not necessarily a bad deal, but it might not be too much of a great one either. More information would be helpful. What specific model of press would be good to know. Or are all the Hornady presses compatible? That would also be good to know.

Good luck!

Having a hard time getting all the info. The guy selling it also wants to trade for a single stage with extras. I'm not looking at getting rid of my single stage. Wouldn't want to put way to much in it for the amount i reload. It would just be nice if cheap enough to have as well. I'm trying to get a model number. Seems like he might not have anything in it just a hand me down.

Guest FroggyOne2

I wouldn't order anything from Cabela's.. There are better places to get stuff.. and if you want a good single stage press for the money.. get an RCBS Rockchucker.. cry once..

Guest FroggyOne2

Comparing the main body and the ram to the pivot arms and the handle.. it looks like a put together deal.. something don't look all that right there.. it just may be me.. but I don't think that is a true lock-an-load press.. I will have to look further in to it.

Guest FroggyOne2

Ok.. went to the Hornady site.. from what I can tell, that is an older model.. the grease nipple on the front of the "AP" is missing on the one that you have a pic of.. also.. like 56Ford said.. there seems to missing a few items.. as well.. plus.. the new models are auto indexing.. will the one that your looking to buy.. an auto indexing machine.. ?

Guest FroggyOne2
Dillon 550 in one caliber for just over $400.00.

True.. and you won't get a used one for any cheaper either due to the company "No BS" warranty. Dillons truly hold there value.

I already run a RCBS single stage. I'm with everyone else. Looks like somethings missing. Thats why I asked if anyone knew more about the hornady.I don't need one bad enough to have to go on a scavanger hunt for parts or get something that needs more than its worth.

Thanks For the help

I wouldn't order anything from Cabela's.. There are better places to get stuff.. and if you want a good single stage press for the money.. get an RCBS Rockchucker.. cry once..

I agree on ordering from Cabelas, but the Midway USA website takes forever to load on my computer. :eek: I was thinking that if the Hornady press was worth having, he might be able to buy the Lee kit and trade it for the progressive.

Guest FroggyOne2

Just don't get the RCBS piggy back.. I think that it is the least of the ones to get.. I have a Dillon.. as you know. I was teasging you about selling it.. doh.. I use it to load all my .40 ammo.. it is the best and sweetest set up.. I guess.. I have enough stuff to load .40 for the next 3 or so years at the rate that I shoot it. Though I could use some more primers.. about 12.000 would be good.. then I would have enough stuff to shoot it for a very long time.. I have about that many cases.. and enough powder to load 12,000 rounds. And I make my own bullets..

It kills me that my stepbrother has a dillon 550 just sitting at his house in a box. Doesn't use it and won't let it go for nothing.Told him I would buy it and when he wanted it back I would sell it to him for the same. But no go. I have a small supply on hand myself but going today to reloaders B to pick up a few other things while I'm in town.

Heres something to consider, Scott. Hornady is giving away 1000 free bullets ($300 value) if you buy the LNL AP progressive press and 100 more for a die set ($30 value).

Midsouth has them for about $370.. not a bad deal really. With plates and dies your net costs is like $150.... and you got one heckuva nice setup. My dad and I did this last week.. setting up the press now...

Heres something to consider, Scott. Hornady is giving away 1000 free bullets ($300 value) if you buy the LNL AP progressive press and 100 more for a die set ($30 value).

Midsouth has them for about $370.. not a bad deal really. With plates and dies your net costs is like $150.... and you got one heckuva nice setup. My dad and I did this last week.. setting up the press now...

+1 The Hornady free bullet deal is pretty great. I've used it four times so far this year. The only thing I wish they would let you do is mix and match, especially with the 1,000 free bullet deal.