SURFACE RUST on a SIG?!?!?

So last night me and my buddy are talking about how he needs to get some ammo for his P245 so I said well go get it and I will give you the rounds out of my 3rd 1911 mag...well he gets it out of a box it was in sitting with his CZ52 and the whole slide is covered in surface rust! Also the exposed part of the barrel has surface rust too! I took it home, took it apart and surprisingly not any other part of the gun had rust. I cleaned the slide up with multiple oils and patches as best I could and took a brush to the square part of the barrel(topside)...its gonna have perma-pits but at least its not the bore. Any tips on cleaning the remaining surface rust off the slide? Btw it is the standard black sig finish and it does appear to be the original finish. This is a German built sig if that matters. Any help is appreciated. On a sidenote...the CZ52 had no rust on it :hiding:

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
grammar...etc
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently own 3 Sigs, P6, P239 and just purchased a NIB P245 this week, I spend some time on the Sig forums and there's a company who does a lot of custom refinishing on Sig's called Custom Creations, you could send it to them and get some work done to the finish and if that's out of the question your buddy could sell it to me cheap and I'll send it there to give them a try!!! COOP

Here's their web addy!!!! http://www.customizedcreationz.com/

Guest SureShot308

Drown it in break free for a day or two and take a stiff nylon brush to it. If that doesn't work work it with some fine steel wool and a lot of break free. It may take a while depending on how bad it is, but it will come off without killing the finish.

Or send it off and have it refinished then you don't have to worry about it again.

An acquaintance of mine inherited a Sig P220 that he said had never been fired. As he unzipped the pistol rug I heard angels singing, the pistol was BEAUTIFUL. He motioned for me to pick it up and as I did looked at the other side. I was horrified by pits so deep you could have stood a tooth pick up in them. I didn't drop the magazine or check the chamber, I just put it down bewildered. I figured that sitting in a rug in a safe untended for years had ruined the pistol. However he told me later that his uncle had shot the pistol and it had worked just fine. Rust is like head lice, no shame in getting it as long as you get rid of it. :rolleyes: