Home Safe

Guest Risky Ruger

Guest Risky Ruger

Just purchased a safe for my guns. I had a "fire safe" but it was key entry only.

What are your opinions are placement of the safe. Typical is closet but thats usually first place a bad guy looks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnDeerHunter

If you have a basement my vote would go for downstairs. A friend of mine is a fire inspector and he said one of their biggest worries at a fire is a safe falling through the floor.

Guest Risky Ruger

THis is a big one, just small simple one. I keep my "fire safe" in the closet but didn't really like it there.

Would moisture be a problem in the garage?

Guest Muttling

Bolt it down!!!!!!!! Thieves can even get a large, long gun safe out the door without too much trouble. If movers can move it, so can thieves. I've got bolted into the concrete with lag shields, they're gonna have to work awful hard to move that thing.

The dehumidifiers are a very worthwhile investment. Pretty cheap and well worth the investment.

My other suggestion is to store your weapons well oiled and in a soft case if you can (especially your long guns.) It's too easy to ding them against one another in the safe.

Put it in the basement. Find a dry corner and bolt it down to the floor and wall.

Build a cement block walled room around it with a metal door frame that is smaller than the safe. Have a flush mount lock on a solid metal door. Hang a false wall tapestry or panel over the door to hide it.

It works real nice. My brother looked for it for 20 minutes before I told him what I did.

He said I was sick. But no one will get your guns or valuables.

;-)

Guest Risky Ruger

I have always wanted to design a house around a "safe room" including gun safe. That would be ideal where no one would ever find your family in a home invasions situation where they could retreat in time.

Put it in the basement. Find a dry corner and bolt it down to the floor and wall.

Build a cement block walled room around it with a metal door frame that is smaller than the safe. Have a flush mount lock on a solid metal door. Hang a false wall tapestry or panel over the door to hide it.

It works real nice. My brother looked for it for 20 minutes before I told him what I did.

He said I was sick. But no one will get your guns or valuables.

;-)

Damn! And I thought I was paranoid.:wave:

Guest billwilly73

Mine is in the livingroom, it is the first thing you see when you walk through the door. It took 3 guys over an hour and a half to get it off the truck, through the door, and moved about 14 feet across the floor.

I know cause I sat there and watched them......;).....I said stuff like "it aint that heavy" and "If I was you, I would ......." and some other encouraging words that they did not appreciate.

It's bolted down using long threaded rod as bolts from the inside, through the floor, then crawled under the house and used pieces of scrap 2"x8" treated wood across the bottom of the floor joists as washers............it aint goin nowhere easy.

safeclosed.jpg?t=1250278129