Need some advice

Ive a Ruger P94DC 40cal and Im going to get my ccp on 8/29 I know I could use my P94 for the test since Im very confident with it. The only problem is its just to big and heavy for me to want to carry everyday, so Ive been looking for a glock 27, xd40 sc, or s&w M&P 40c. I havent had any luck finding one in my price range (unfortinatly my price rang is gettin smaller). Ive decided that I dont have to have a 40cal so I started looking for others and found these 2 on a local site both in my price range (around 300 bucks) and I was wantin to get some info on them size, reliabilty, price, avalibility of magazines and other parts and pretty much some opinions on if I should pick up one of these or just hold out to get me a 40cal. heres both the ads and thx for any help/ advice

Thatch

SMITH & WESSON MODEL 3914 COMPACT - 9mm Parabellum caliber, double action semi-auto, aluminum alloy frame, 3 1/2 in. barrel, hammerless, 8 shot finger extension mag., fixed sights only, ambidextrous safety, blue finish, straight backstrap grip, 25 oz.

Great gun, purchased from Franklin Gun Shop January, 2009.

I've shot a handful of boxes through it- no jams, recoil very tolerable, and extremely accurate! Very, very good gun for concealed carrying.

391420001.jpg391420004.jpg391420005-1.jpg

Sellin A Bersa Thunder 9mm Ultra Compact Handgun with 2 10rd clips and a speedloader with case. The gun is in immaculate shape and has never jammed or caused issues. i have taken it apart and thoroughly cleaned inside and out after every use.

Its a Semi-Auto with trigger lock and key lock on side of gun. key lock on the side prevents all functions including taking gun apart and loading a bullet into chamber. Still have original box and paperwork. ill even throw in my cleaning kit.

And yes gun is clean. It was purchased by me 7 months ago brand new and has only been fired by me in a firing range. Any questions or if you want more pictures feel free to ask.

gun-1.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I don't think the S&W or Bersa would be that much lighter than your Ruger. Unless you just have to have 9mm, I'd keep your gun.

Between these two guns, I don't think you could go wrong with either. While I have no experience with either, from what I've heard/read, they are both decent guns. Maybe leaning a little toward the S&W.

Why don't you wait a little longer, save up a little more $ and get a Glock? A couple hundred more bucks and you're there. Since you already have a gun, it's not like you're unprotected.

Since you're not taking the class until the end of the month, it'll probably be October (at least) before you get your permit in the mail. That's over 2 months to save up. But, I understand it's hard to put money away right now. Just a thought.

Edited by JHatmaker

Im just weighing my options at this point. Im definatly keepin my Ruger Ive had it for 3 years, never had any probs from it, its always right where I need it to be at night just incase somethin happens, and its pretty much the first handgun I really learned to shoot.

I would really like to stick with 40cal that way both my guns use the same ammo and I like it better than 9mm. Im really leaning towards a glock 27, a friend let me shoot his a few weeks back and I loved it. Ive held a xd and it felt pretty good in my hand but the safety on the back bugged me a lil bit I think Im just not use to havin it there.

Im proly just gonna save up some and get what Im really wantin since itll be around oct before I get it in the mail anyways and if I get one of the three 40cals Im gonna keep it for a pretty long time. thx for the advice

thatch

Guest JHatmaker

Ahh, in your first post you said you decided you don't have to have a 40cal, so I thought you were only looking for 9mm options (and I was like, why did he list an XD40?) ;)

I've always tried to really get what I want versus settle, because you'll always think "what could have been", and then you're out that much more to put towards that gun you want another time. Have you ever tried carrying that Ruger around your house in a holster? If not, buy a cheap one however you think you'd like to carry (IWB, etc) and see how it feels. You might be surprised how comfortable it is; or confirm your suspicion that it's too heavy for you.

yea if im at my house I usually have it in my fobus which is the most comfortable or my owb. I have a iwb but it imprints with my work shirts so I cant carry it at work. My bosses rule is if customers cant see it I dont care thats why Im lookin at sub-compacts. My friend that let me shoot his glock carries his at work and never had any probs concealin it.

Weve had a incident or 2 where a customer freaked out cuz a tech had his to where you could see it. She made a big scene out of it like it was a sin to have a gun at a car dealership, the owner handled it all and convinced the woman he worked here and wasnt gonna shoot anyone. after that he said if we were gonna carry to conceal it or leave it in our car or home.

I

Guest Ravendove

Well, I've got both the service model and the sub compact of the XD40 and I like them both a lot. I started with the standard size and carried that for a couple years before I finally got tired of hitting my elbow and having it print on my jackets. The sub compact is a decent improvement in that regard and, to be honest, I like the feel of the XD more than a glock. I've used both, of the same size and caliber, and the grip angle is just more natural on the XD. Of course, if you're looking for something really concealable and you can't wear a jacket or overshirt, you may want to look into something smaller than the standard SubCompact. That's why I'm getting the Micro Desert Eagle. I agree with you on the .40 and about feeding your firearms the same thing. That's my personal preference as well, though I'm breaking with that tradition for the meagle. The main issue is that the caliber of bullet that will defend you when you need it is the one you have with you. If you don't carry it because it's too big, it won't matter how effective it is.

I wish I could give you an opinion on the other weapons you listed but I don't have any experience with them. I've heard good things about the Ruger LCP and the Kel-Tek P3AT. They're pretty small also and were among the firearms I was researching for an ultra-concealable when I settled on the meagle. I don't know that I've given you a lot of information but I hope it helps.

• Administrator

The 3913 and 3914 models are awesome for concealed carry. I had one years ago and beat myself up every time I think about the fact that I had a moment of complete idiocy and let it go.

My wife now owns a 3914 and she loves it. Hell, I love it. The problem is, she won't let me carry it because it's hers. ;)

Guest JHatmaker
yea if im at my house I usually have it in my fobus which is the most comfortable or my owb. I have a iwb but it imprints with my work shirts so I cant carry it at work. My bosses rule is if customers cant see it I dont care thats why Im lookin at sub-compacts. My friend that let me shoot his glock carries his at work and never had any probs concealin it.

Weve had a incident or 2 where a customer freaked out cuz a tech had his to where you could see it. She made a big scene out of it like it was a sin to have a gun at a car dealership, the owner handled it all and convinced the woman he worked here and wasnt gonna shoot anyone. after that he said if we were gonna carry to conceal it or leave it in our car or home.

I

You've got a cool boss...

My boss is crazy but very cool lol, he carries and keeps a tactical mossberg maverick 88 in his office "just in case" as he puts it.

Ravendove: Ive been keepin my eye out for a lcp also, I plan on gettin one sooner or later but I know when my girl turns 21 she is gonna steal it from me. everytime she goes to a gun store she looks at lcps and anything pink they have lol

TGO David: Im tryin to trade dude my shotgun for it since I have 2, so if the deal goes thru and I dont like it or just want somethin else I can hit you up and see what we can work out. then you wont have to try to steal your wifes :panic:

Guest SureShot308

If you are shooting for your permit next weekend it will probably be at least 8 weeks before you get your permit in the mail and that is if you put in your application and get your prints done the monday after you shoot. You have plenty of time to see what you like and really want and save up for it.

WELL.... I picked up a Ruger lcp over the weekend and I must say I love it. I wore it around my house all last night and did some work around the house just to make sure I would still be able to work and wear it without any problems. After about 30 mins of it iwb at 4 oclock position I could barely tell it was there and didnt bother me at all after that. My girl is already tryin to get me to give it to her when she turnes 21 lol