AK-47 Emergency Reload

poak

Found this video via The Firearm Blog, and thought some of you AK guys might find this technique interesting.

This video demonstrates a fast AK-47 magazine change technique. The video author calls it the “Shayetet 13 styleâ€. Shayetet 13 are an elite IDF marine special forces unit, similar to the SEALs. I would be surprised if they were the sole inventors of this technique, it was more likely simultaneously discovered by AK-47 wielding soldiers around the world.

YouTube - AK47 Emergency Reload 2
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

That is an older way to do a combat reload on an AK and it is, for sure fast. I believe however that a slight variation of this is faster and more efficient.

1. When the gun goes dry, reach up and grab the bolt handle with the trigger finger holding the bolt to the rear and the rifle is still on target.
  2. Grab the replacement mag with the off hand bringing it up to the magwell and pop and strip the spent mag with the index finger of the off hand and the new mag. The off hand moves directly forward to the fore end of the rifle.
  3. When the new mag is seated, the trigger finger releases the bolt and moves back to the fireing position.

This is I believe, a bit faster and keeps the operator from having to reach through, under or around a sling or across his field of view (if he reaches over the receiver to operate the bolt) to release the bolt and resume firing.

Either way, you gotta practice to be effective.

Great topic and vids Mr. Poak and Mr. Suntzu

Edited by Phantom6
spellin'
Guest lci419

MK19 called it. That is what I have seen Russian troops doing, particularly the charging with left hand. The only observation I would have is there HAS to be some sort of lever extension on the magazine catch. Stock ones in my experience would break your finger before you could pop it that fast to drop a mag.

Guest Todd@CIS
there HAS to be some sort of lever extension on the magazine catch. Stock ones in my experience would break your finger before you could pop it that fast to drop a mag.

Your finger never comes in contact with the mag release.

The reload mag sweeps it.

I know we've been teaching this reload since going into business.

That is an older way to do a combat reload on an AK and it is, for sure fast. I believe however that a slight variation of this is faster and more efficient.
  1. When the gun goes dry, reach up and grab the bolt handle with the trigger finger holding the bolt to the rear and the rifle is still on target.
  2. Grab the replacement mag with the off hand bringing it up to the magwell and pop and strip the spent mag with the index finger of the off hand and the new mag. The off hand moves directly forward to the fore end of the rifle.
  3. When the new mag is seated, the trigger finger releases the bolt and moves back to the fireing position.

This is I believe, a bit faster and keeps the operator from having to reach through, under or around a sling or across his field of view (if he reaches over the receiver to operate the bolt) to release the bolt and resume firing.

Either way, you gotta practice to be effective.

Great topic and vids Mr. Poak and Mr. Suntzu

It may be faster while standing still on a one way range but not something I personally would want to gamble my life on while moving across uneven terrain rapidly while taking fire. To much of a risk in dropping the gun IMHO.

Am I crazy or is there no trigger guard on that AK? Can't tell if it's gone or it's just washed out by the light.

I watched closely and I think I do see it but it's very faint.

I clearly see him hit the mag release most of the time but there is a time or two that I don't see him hit it from what I can tell. I know he has to but it just doesn't appear that way.

Guest Phantom6
It may be faster while standing still on a one way range but not something I personally would want to gamble my life on while moving across uneven terrain rapidly while taking fire. To much of a risk in dropping the gun IMHO.

First of all if I'm doing a reload under fire, I'm going to a knee preferably behind cover or concealment if I can find it, no matter what it is I'm reloading, AK, M4, M1A or my pants. Secondly I wouldn't try any of these techniques unless I had practiced it a WHOLE LOT.