Interesting interaction at Chick Fil A Open Carry

Guest db99wj

Ab,

That is a good example of the difference between owners and employees...the owners KNOW where there paycheck comes from and work to take care of them.

No Customers = no need for employees

I've been cooking an hour and a half after we "closed" more than once because people kept coming in. Of course, I've never had the "employee" mindset, even when I was one.

Incidentally, their owner was mortified. He was trying to determine whom to fire for telling us to leave. After talking with him, we would definitely go back.

The Highlander

I just consider it common courtesy to not show up with a crowd right before close. Also, if the employees got paid better, they might work harder. It's hard to put any effort into a job when you make $5.75 an hour. I know when I did home construction, I worked a lot harder making $14 an hour than I ever did on fast food. I actually liked the work though, and was outside.

Edited by ab28
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

The one that I am talking about is a extremely busy during the lunch hours....everyday. As mentioned earlier, line out onto Poplar Avenue. It is like that many times in the evening as well. The crazy thing about that is, that if you get in line, the wait is really no longer than other places that I have gone, with much much shorter lines, like McD's, Wendy's ect. oh and the order is correct. It is amazing because they will have 1 or 2 guys walking the line, getting orders, calling it inside and you wait, move up, pay, get food, gone. And as I said, the order is correct. You go to these other places in Memphis and 9 out of 10 times, when you get to the window, they have this confused look and asks what you ordered again....then, it seems, they still get the order wrong. I won't leave until I check my bag.

Guest slothful1
I just consider it common courtesy to not show up with a crowd right before close.

I don't think 20 people 20 minutes before closing is unreasonable. And what's the point of having a "closing time" if it doesn't really mean the time the store is closed?

Also, if the employees got paid better, they might work harder. It's hard to put any effort into a job when you make $5.75 an hour.

Uh, you do know that nobody makes this, right? Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour.

Guest logicprevails
I just consider it common courtesy to not show up with a crowd right before close. Also, if the employees got paid better, they might work harder. It's hard to put any effort into a job when you make $5.75 an hour. I know when I did home construction, I worked a lot harder making $14 an hour than I ever did on fast food. I actually liked the work though, and was outside.

I do think one key phrase here is 'before close'. If the establishment is open, it is in the best interest of the establishment to provide the service. Sometimes it is inconvenient for the employees, but 'manning up' when it is inconvenient is the expectation of the customer.

Regarding working harder for a higher wage: The employee(s) agreed to work (entailing giving best effort) for the wage offered. If a person cannot bring themself to give their best effort in a particular occupation, they should maintain employment otherwise.

Employees that can't give their best effort for a particular wage, will become dissatisfied with a higher wage and exhibit the same behavior at some point. Entitlement creeps in.

Edited by logicprevails
clarification
Guest gunslinger707
I do think one key phrase here is 'before close'. If the establishment is open, it is in the best interest of the establishment to provide the service. Sometimes it is inconvenient for the employees, but 'manning up' when it is inconvenient is the expectation of the customer.

Regarding working harder for a higher wage: The employee(s) agreed to work (entailing giving best effort) for the wage offered. If a person cannot bring themself to give their best effort in a particular occupation, they should maintain employment otherwise.

Employees that can't give their best effort for a particular wage, will become dissatisfied with a higher wage and exhibit the same behavior at some point. Entitlement creeps in.

GREAT point !!!!!!!!!!

Guest AmericanWorkMule

When I was a kid working at a grocery store it never failed to have someone beat on the door right as we locked it at 10pm, or slip in at 9:55pm and casually go about a hour long shopping experience. We weren't allowed to do any break down until the customer left.

Having common courtesy as a customer should go as well. If businesses keep giving in to that behavioral type, "at some point. Entitlement creeps in." Then you get those over demanding types of customers that you can never please.

Whats it matter though, the world will keep on spinning.

At least we can carry at the CHIK

That sounds good and all,but in the real world you get what you pay for when it comes to labor.

You cant expect to pay someone 7.25 an hr and get the same results as paying 20 hr,regardless of what job it is.

Guest The Highlander

oooohhh, I hate me some entitled little people! It is automatic termination for someone to tell me "it's not my job" when I instruct them to do something.

Somebody made a point about the Customer That Can't Be Pleased. We actually have two of those at my restaurant. The dang thing is, they are both pretty good customers. Can't figure why, cause they both complain at every visit. We just smile and serve them anyway. Of course, we do fight over which one of us has to wait on them.

The Highlander

Guest logicprevails
That sounds good and all,but in the real world you get what you pay for when it comes to labor.

You cant expect to pay someone 7.25 an hr and get the same results as paying 20 hr,regardless of what job it is.

Depends on whom you are paying and which economy is their reference point. I would hazard that underpaying someone from my father's generation netted much more actual result than overpaying someone of the current generation. However, if you noticed I was referencing effort. There are $7.25 jobs and $20.00 jobs (and those paying much more, obviously).

Regardless of the skillsets or qualifications required for either, I expect the same effort. Failure to give effort has nothing to do with aptitude and everything to do with attitude; the prevalent attitude in society being entitlement. Admittedly, there are those that are underemployed. They tend to have the initiative to rise to their qualifications, education, etc. when opportunity arises. Heck, they are often the ones that go out and MAKE opportunities, rather than complain that they are underpaid. Sometimes ya just gotta pick up some walnuts.

Guest logicprevails
oooohhh, I hate me some entitled little people! It is automatic termination for someone to tell me "it's not my job" when I instruct them to do something.

Somebody made a point about the Customer That Can't Be Pleased. We actually have two of those at my restaurant. The dang thing is, they are both pretty good customers. Can't figure why, cause they both complain at every visit. We just smile and serve them anyway. Of course, we do fight over which one of us has to wait on them.

The Highlander

Amen! But don't they eventually make us better?

Guest logicprevails
No,they just make the employee more cleaver at getting out of waiting on them.

;)

Can be true. Get's 'em on the couch or the soupline, though.

Guest The Highlander

Actually, we make a game out of one lady. We make her say something to us. She always comes through the drive thru, and we will just keep chatting to her about the weather, her grandkid, whatever. We "win" if we get her to speak. Other than ordering, she sits and stares, stone faced, until we give her her food. She is a great customer, just kind of quiet and sullen.

The other lady is truly a pain, I honestly think she will neglect to tell us about a "special requirement of her diet" until after the food is prepared on purpose. She is basically angling for free food. And we always re-cook it or whatever her weekly demand is. I don't make any money on her order doing that, but what the heck, her bad-mouthing us would cost far more.

The Highlander

• 2 months later...
Guest tnmale46

The Highlander

little people? they are people just like you
I've always had good experiences at Chik-Fil-A... OCing or CCing, they can have my business any day.

+1

Last time I went through the drivethrough, the line was around the building. I waited and waited til it was my turn at the window to pay. They handed me a cowbell and said ring this. I got free food. I was OC'ing in the car, just to stay on topic.

Chick Fil A food is great. FREE Chick Fil A food ROCKS.

Last time I went through the drivethrough, the line was around the building. I waited and waited til it was my turn at the window to pay. They handed me a cowbell and said ring this. I got free food. I was OC'ing in the car, just to stay on topic.

Chick Fil A food is great. FREE Chick Fil A food ROCKS.

They gave you a cow bell,and food....dude,I think they were calling you fat!

Moooo..... :D

I would be real pissed if I worked at a fast food (or any restaurant) and some group of 20 comes in 20 minutes before close... it seems inconsiderate on the group's part too.

It's one thing if it is one or two people but 20? That's just a pain in the ass for everyone.

I would be real pissed if I worked at a fast food (or any restaurant) and some group of 20 comes in 20 minutes before close... it seems inconsiderate on the group's part too.

It's one thing if it is one or two people but 20? That's just a pain in the ass for everyone.

Sounds like the statement of a worker....I know most managers (whose bonus is based on the income/profit of the place) don't care how late or how many people come in. Or for sure the owner...(as noted in the post from nearly 2 months ago that I think you are talking about)

What's the difference between a group of 20 and 20 individuals that happen to come in at the same time?

Yes, it is very inconvenient to have to cook large amounts close to closing, but you are open until you are open. You shouldn't expect to not have to cook and serve food till after closing.

Guest ChadWilliams
Chick Fil A is good, I rarely eat out though. Being a broke college student, I spend all my extra money on ammo and beer. I worked at several fast food restaurants, and many of the customers treated me like crap. I give people the respect they give me, and if you treat me good, I will respond the same. The ones treating us badly were sure to get slow service and the worst food possible. You are not your job, people start thinking fast food workers and janitors are worthless losers. Sometimes you have to remind them that you are a human, just like them.

You could by food insted of beer. Just saying.

I worked fast food while I was in High School. It didn't bother me if a bus load of people showed up in the middle of the day or 20 minutes before we closed. I go to work to work. Other people I worked with always complained when we got a little busy and some would almost freak out and panic. But that's not just kids in fast food, that happens everywhere. I have never been in a supervising position and don't want to be for that reason. I would likely fire everyone.

Guest canynracer

If the business was closed 20 min before the hour, then they should POST the hours...

In other words, if the sign says 9pm...then begin closing at 9pm...if you wanna get a head start, fine...but know that before 9pm, someone can come in a screw up the works...close the kitchen LAST.