Interesting interaction at Chick Fil A Open Carry

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

My kids and I went to eat at the Chick Fil A here in Memphis at Poplar and Mendenhall. Sat down, and an older gentleman, his wife and great granddaughter walked in, he was open carrying an XD45 Service Model (4" barrel) on his left hip. All the folks, including the manger knew him, evidently he goes there about every day, and they were just as friendly to him as they were to everyone else, which is very friendly to be clear. We talked for awhile, he works as security for the Air National Guard guarding big ass planes. They are issued M9's by the way. Nice badge and HCP.

I was glad to that the restaurant and management was 100% fine, they weren't freaking out, they weren't pointing and whispering, and a hail of gun fire didn't erupt, because the guy OC'ing and the guy concealing were sitting across from each other. I know they don't serve, and that is not what I am talking about. Just a place, with decent food, great customer service, that doesn't have a problem with us, who I will support and promote.

I hope they all are like that. If you are not familiar, they are franchise restaurants, the owner is a owner operator, has to work a 40 hour week in the restaurant, can't do this part time or as a corporate ownership and can only own one restaurant. (At least that is how it use to be when I looked into buying into one)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SMZRU275

I used to work at our location near that Chik-fil-a any always got great service.

But DAMN, so does everyone else that goes there. The workday car lines are around the building, and sometimes spillout onto Poplar Ave.

Good post to read.

Guest Engloid

One day my daughter and I were eating at Chick-fil-a. I was talking to her about how politeness is important, and now it's part of the job when you work food service and many other jobs. I pointed out how, when thanked, the employees always respond with "my pleasure." It's part of their training. I was stressing the importance of attitude in the workplace.

I talked to a manager, asking a few questions about how the business is run. They said that Chic-fil-a is VERY selective of their employees. Even the school kids that work there are screened thoroughly. They MUST make good grades to get and keep the job. They must be of good character also. For this, they get above average wage (for food service), Sundays off, and a pretty good work environment. I'm not sure about benefits.

Anyway, that's why the service at Chic-fil-a is about always good. They handpick employees, pay a bit extra for them, and they stick to their training. Even the kids act in a professional manner.

I love chic-fil-a. you can't beat their nuggets!!

Guest 3pugguy
My kids and I went to eat at the Chick Fil A here in Memphis at Poplar and Mendenhall. Sat down, and an older gentleman, his wife and great granddaughter walked in, he was open carrying an XD45 Service Model (4" barrel) on his left hip. All the folks, including the manger knew him, evidently he goes there about every day, and they were just as friendly to him as they were to everyone else, which is very friendly to be clear. We talked for awhile, he works as security for the Air National Guard guarding big ass planes. They are issued M9's by the way. Nice badge and HCP.

I was glad to that the restaurant and management was 100% fine, they weren't freaking out, they weren't pointing and whispering, and a hail of gun fire didn't erupt, because the guy OC'ing and the guy concealing were sitting across from each other. I know they don't serve, and that is not what I am talking about. Just a place, with decent food, great customer service, that doesn't have a problem with us, who I will support and promote.

I hope they all are like that. If you are not familiar, they are franchise restaurants, the owner is a owner operator, has to work a 40 hour week in the restaurant, can't do this part time or as a corporate ownership and can only own one restaurant. (At least that is how it use to be when I looked into buying into one)

Thanks for a positive story, as for me anyway, it is always refreshing to hear good things.

You know, reading that stuff, I'm going to have to give them a try. I've actually never eaten there. My friends pick on me (all in fun) and call me an "old man" because I'm constantly expressing disappointment about the manners of people at fast food joints (and in general).

Of course, I just tell my friends that it's not my fault that their parents didn't raise them properly :bowrofl:

Guest logicprevails

The food's a bit more pricy than Mickey D's, but the chicken's the best sammich around. I've never had a less than desirable customer service experience at any Chick Fil A. They're also not ashamed of their conservative position. +1,000,000

Chick Fil A is a place that is honestly at the top of my list in which to eat. Even though it's a little up there in price, as far as "fast food" goes, I've chosen it over sit-downs such as Chilis and Ruby Tuesday, because of the professional atmosphere, courtesy of the folks that work there, and the quality of the entire experience (clean storefront, clean inside, clean bathrooms, good food, and courteous service).

Their policies on all of these is what keeps people coming back to eat - and I agree with them.

Guest mustangdave

As an aside...IF you are Active Duty/Reserve/Retired Military they give you a 50% Discount on your meal...at least here in Smyrna...order and show ID...BINGO half off

Guest db99wj
We eat Chik-Fil-A at least once a week. I wish more places were like them.

I noticed Back Yard Burger is following suit as far as the My Pleasure.

BYB use to have very similiar customer service as Chik, but went downhill (when it was sold), however, that seems to have changed, and they are a lot better. They never got bad, but just not as great.

Chik fil A and Backyard Burger are my two favorite fast food places.

Guest HexHead
You know, reading that stuff, I'm going to have to give them a try. I've actually never eaten there. My friends pick on me (all in fun) and call me an "old man" because I'm constantly expressing disappointment about the manners of people at fast food joints (and in general).

Of course, I just tell my friends that it's not my fault that their parents didn't raise them properly :stalk:

Tell me about it. They seem particularly bad in Bellevue. Taco Bell is on my :screwy: list. I was in Jack in the Box the other day and was amazed that these idiots are getting over $7/ hr., (new minimum wage). BTW, the black "girl" with the long blond hair behind the counter there is a tranny. And she was the best of the bunch. The Capt. D's, they constantly screw up my order.

I practically refuse to get take out period, much less use the drive thru, it seems they just put whatever the **** they want in the bag, figuring you won't drive back to complain. Also, many of the places very obviously give priority to the lazy slack asses using the drive thru lane, because I stood at the counter and watched six cars getting their order before me.

As I keep saying, "If were just going to be a service economy, shouldn't we at least get that right?"

Tell me about it. They seem particularly bad in Bellevue. Taco Bell is on my :rolleyes: list. I was in Jack in the Box the other day and was amazed that these idiots are getting over $7/ hr., (new minimum wage). BTW, the black "girl" with the long blond hair behind the counter there is a tranny. And she was the best of the bunch. The Capt. D's, they constantly screw up my order.

I practically refuse to get take out period, much less use the drive thru, it seems they just put whatever the **** they want in the bag, figuring you won't drive back to complain. Also, many of the places very obviously give priority to the lazy slack asses using the drive thru lane, because I stood at the counter and watched six cars getting their order before me.

As I keep saying, "If were just going to be a service economy, shouldn't we at least get that right?"

LOL, I thought he/she looked awful manly! I've gotten to the point that either I go to one of the sit down places (usually O'Charlies or Koyoto), or I just order from Quiznos or one of the pizza places. Don't have to talk to anyone on the phone since I order online, and the delivery drivers all know I'm a good tipper so they are always nice and I get it quickly. The downside is that I'm turning into a recluse during the week, heh.

Edited by Isaac
grammatical error
  • Admin Team

Certainly one of the issues that makes Chik-fil-a stand out is that they require their franchisees to literally start at the bottom. The owner of the store you are eating in has probably worked at Chik-fil-a going back to high school.

Chick Fil A is good, I rarely eat out though. Being a broke college student, I spend all my extra money on ammo and beer. I worked at several fast food restaurants, and many of the customers treated me like crap. I give people the respect they give me, and if you treat me good, I will respond the same. The ones treating us badly were sure to get slow service and the worst food possible. You are not your job, people start thinking fast food workers and janitors are worthless losers. Sometimes you have to remind them that you are a human, just like them.

Edited by ab28
Guest The Highlander

Last year we had a bad experience at a Chik-fil-a in Knoxville. After a ballgame, we brought around 20 people, kids and their family's in to eat. We got in about 20 minutes prior to their close. By the time they got us all waited on, and not everyone had their food yet, we were asked to leave so they could close.

Owning a restaurant or two myself, I knew the owner would be furious. So, I used the CFA website and tracked down the person in charge. We got an apology and an invitation to come back, on him. I have a hunch if he could narrow it down to the employee that asked us to leave, that is one without a job!

Not happy with the treatment at that CFA, but I did respect the owner for following up. I'm very glad to hear they respect the 2nd Amendment. We don't often eat at fast-food joints, but CFA is up on our list when we do, just not many in our area.

The Highlander

Edited by The Highlander
typo
Last year we had a bad experience at a Chik-fil-a in Knoxville. After a ballgame, we brought around 20 people, kids and their family's in to eat. We got in about 20 minutes prior to their close. By the time they got us all waited on, and not everyone had their food yet, we were asked to leave so they could close.

Owning a restaurant or two myself, I knew the owner would be furious. So, I used the CFA website and tracked down the person in charge. We got an apology and an invitation to come back, on him. I have a hunch if he could narrow it down to the employee that asked us to leave, that is one without a job!

Not happy with the treatment at that CFA, but I did respect the owner for following up. I'm very glad to hear they respect the 2nd Amendment. We don't often eat at fast-food joints, but CFA is up on our list when we do, just not many in our area.

The Highlander

I have done fast food for a few years, and having that many people come in that close to them closing up is asking for it, no offense. When you have been slaving away all day for pocket change, the last thing you want to see is a crowd coming in that late. Also, many restaurants do pre-close stuff, like shutting down fryers, ect.

Guest db99wj

Krystal seems to be trying to do better. At least the one here in Millington is, I've had some of the best service ever so far. And they have free WiFi, which is how I am typing this.

Guest The Highlander
I have done fast food for a few years, and having that many people come in that close to them closing up is asking for it, no offense. When you have been slaving away all day for pocket change, the last thing you want to see is a crowd coming in that late. Also, many restaurants do pre-close stuff, like shutting down fryers, ect.

Ab,

That is a good example of the difference between owners and employees...the owners KNOW where there paycheck comes from and work to take care of them.

No Customers = no need for employees

I've been cooking an hour and a half after we "closed" more than once because people kept coming in. Of course, I've never had the "employee" mindset, even when I was one.

Incidentally, their owner was mortified. He was trying to determine whom to fire for telling us to leave. After talking with him, we would definitely go back.

The Highlander

Guest mark_justmark

We went to lunch one day in Murfreesboro and the Chik-fil-a was swamped. Cars even waiting to get into the parking lot. We drove down a ways and thought that Zaxby's would be just as good, NOT!

80% of the staff looked lazy. Either standing around or sitting on their tails behind the counter watching a couple of others work or looking at us like we shouldn't even be there.

There were only a few customers and we were the only ones in line at the counter. It took awhile before one of the few that were working could take our order and the chicken was terrible and didn't even compare to Chik.