Rimfire Plinkers, any one?

Guest oldfella

Guest oldfella

I've just received a Remington model 552 "BDL Deluxe Speedmaster" rifle, which I bought sight-unseen. It was made in 2006, according to Remington, based on the serial Number. I was told it is unfired, and it looks it - a beauty! Any one have one of these? I'm happy with it, but I see no markings anywhere showing "BDL Deluxe" - but it is clearly marked "Speedmaster"... can any one please verify my rifle to be a BDL Deluxe? Thanks.

Pete

Edited by oldfella
Spelling
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its walnut and high gloss blue made in 2006 it is a BDL Deluxe. The standard version (552A) was not made after 87.

If you have any questions or concerns call Remington. I did on a shotgun once and they told me everything I wanted to know about it.

Guest oldfella
If its walnut and high gloss blue made in 2006 it is a BDL Deluxe. The standard version (552A) was not made after 87.

If you have any questions or concerns call Remington. I did on a shotgun once and they told me everything I wanted to know about it.

Thanks Dave - Yes, it is walnut in high gloss... a beauty! Now I'm waiting for an EOTech holo sight, on back order, and I'll be ready to plink away some 3,000 rounds of .22 I've managed to stash away - Glory be!

Pete

• 1 month later...

That rimfire plinking is tons of fun...and it doesn't break the bank either. I have a little Ruger 10-22 with a carbon barrel and a scope, and I shoot and shoot...on the cheap. Congrats, and have fun from another old fellow.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

3rd old feller checking in:

I've really gotten back into .22 over the last few months...

Have 2 10/22's different vintages/configs, a Mossberg Plinkster bolt rifle, a 1953 Remington Fieldmaster pump (my first gun), and a 1950's vintage H&R revolver.

I generally shoot at least 500 when I go a plinkin'.

- OS

I couldn't be without a 22. My favorite is a Marlin 931T with a 3-9 Tasco 1" tube. It's a bolt action w/tube mag. Got it for a couple of reasons. Tube mag so I didn't have to worry about extra mags. Bolt so I could shoot anything through it. I shoot alot of squirrels and chipmunks to keep up with population control and use 22 CB caps. They make almost no noise so won't bother the neighbors. I've even used them on coons at night. Pisses em off but kills them ok.

I target shoot with my youngest using the cb caps in the backyard all the time with no worry about the cops showing up. We do live out in the stix but I give nobdy the oportunity to complain about my guns. The less they know the better off I am.

Also have a Marlin mod 60 auto tube fed but rarely use it. Ruger 10/22 is king of 22's in my book in the auto category.

I had an older Speedmaster once, very nice rifle and that one had the old "Tootsie Roll" forend. I should not have traded that rifle. For plinking at targets I like the old post WWII Mossbergs the most, semi-autos or bolt guns, they are fun, accurate-enough, and priced right.

Got to have a 10/22 though, but I went a little crazy on one and semi-crazy on another. However, IMHO the CZ 452 has got to be leader in quality, reliability, accuracy and looks for the money. I've had a couple, one a Full Stock (FS) Mannlicher style and the one I now have is a 28" barrel Ultra Lux. I tried various irons on the UL hoping to keep it a "clean" rifle but my eyesight has dictated a scope. I put the Weaver 3-9x28mm rimfire scope on it, it shoots great and looks pretty good.

Craig in Clarksville

We currently have two bolt guns. One is a Remington 521 Junior Match. It's a great shooting rifle. The other is a old rifle my Uncle gave my son. It's a Marlin Model 80. It doesn't look like much and it's not worth much to anyone but him, but it does shoot amazingly well for the condition it was in when he got it. I don't think he would part with it for the world.

• 10 months later...

I love my 552! It was handed down to me from my Dad who got it from his dad and it still works like a champ. I may be wrong but I thought the Deluxe's had the checkering on the stock. Mine is a smooth varnished finish and I believe it's not a BDL. But then again, mine was made in the 50's so I'm not sure if they changed anything.