LESS THAN LETHAL

Guest tatts

I recently posted some advice to someone about keeping a round in the chamber. If you are going to carry for personal protection then you should have a round chambered. However, There are some who do not have the experiance that gives them the confidence to do so. For those people I recommend 2 less then lethal rounds 1 in the chamber and one in the mag behind it. They do have tremendous stopping power. If your attacker still comes after you your remaing rounds should do the trick. How do the rest of you feel about this advise?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

If you are using less than lethal force then I would say you weren't in fear for your life, and a prosecutor could hand you your ass. Just my opinion.

Guest bkelm18
I recently posted some advice to someone about keeping a round in the chamber. If you are going to carry for personal protection then you should have a round chambered. However, There are some who do not have the experiance that gives them the confidence to do so. For those people I recommend 2 less then lethal rounds 1 in the chamber and one in the mag behind it. They do have tremendous stopping power. If your attacker still comes after you your remaing rounds should do the trick. How do the rest of you feel about this advise?

Honestly, not good. Aside from the legal aspect, I'm not comfortable with knowing that my first two rounds would pretty much do jack ****.

If I'm going to draw/use a firearm my intent is going to be use deadly force to stop the threat.

If I was going to consider using less-lethal force, I would probably have it in a separate weapon. That way I could make a choice of which to use at the time and be ready to go on the first shot with either option.

But for me...I will stick with normal ammo for self and home defense.

Guest Muttling

I'm with the above, if my firearm is coming out....I'm going lethal.

That said, I do try to carry less than lethal (e.g. pepper) whenever I'm armed. When lethal is all you have, it only gives you one option.

Guest Muttling
If you are using less than lethal force then I would say you weren't in fear for your life, and a prosecutor could hand you your ass. Just my opinion.

I don't think that argument would hold up.

The choice of rounds and loading of the weapon happened before the confrontation. He would just be using what was available to him at the time.

On a similar example, if someone attacks you with a knife you may be requred to dodge or punch back (e.g. less than lethal) to buy you time to draw your firearm. Just because your first response was less than lethal doesn't mean you wouldn't be in fear for your life.

When I started carrying, I kept the gun cocked, with a full magazine, but removed the round from the chamber. In a SD situation, I would have to cycle the slide to load one in, which is undesireable, but still I was carrying which was way better than not. Anyway, keeping the gun cocked but empty helped me prove to myself that I was not going to accidently have it go off. After a month or so of seeing the gun still in the cocked and yet unfired condition, I graduated myself up to live and loaded.

Guest SUNTZU
I don't think that argument would hold up.

The choice of rounds and loading of the weapon happened before the confrontation. He would just be using what was available to him at the time.

On a similar example, if someone attacks you with a knife you may be requred to dodge or punch back (e.g. less than lethal) to buy you time to draw your firearm. Just because your first response was less than lethal doesn't mean you wouldn't be in fear for your life.

Granted. IMO, though, I'm not going down the force ladder when someone comes after me with lethal intentions. Another reason why I recommend Phantom's PPCT and baton class.

Yea that's really bad advice.