Compare S&W Model 66 .357 to Glock 19

Guest icehead

Guest icehead

I really want a Model 66 .357 and I'm considering trading my G19 for one. Just wanted to know if anyone has both and compare size and weight. Or just think this a bad idea. Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been down that road quite a number of times. I always come back to the G19.

.38/.357 are good calibers for a lot of things. I do a reasonable amount of work on both Glocks and S&W DA revolvers. I hugely admire a nice S&W DA revolver, but for saving your butt a 15+1 G19 is hard to beat in terms of reliability, ease of use & maintenance and it is accurate enough. The G19 is comparably light too without compromising being able to use it effectively weak or strong hand two-hand or one. Glock parts are cheap and plentiful if on the rare occasion you need one. But if you haven't had a good S&W DA revolver get one and get Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual and Jerry Miculek's DVD "Trigger Job."

Craig in Clarksville

Is it a straight 66 or a 66-3? Stainless or blued? What kind of condition is the 66 in? How much is the person asking for it in cash? and how much are you valueing your Glock at?

As for me? I'd trade if the 66 is stainless and in good shape. You can always get another G19 but the 66's are getting a little scarce in my neck of the woods.

Oops, just checked my book and if it's a66 it's stainless. Book shows at 100% it's right at 390. For 90% it drops to 180.

Take those prices with a grain of salt though.

Apples & Oranges.

The 66 2-1/2†is smaller, more concealable. Less rounds, but greater firepower. The 4†is IMO too big for carry.

I have a 66 2-1/2†and a couple of M&P’s… different applications.

All S&W Model 66’s are stainless; if they are blue they are Model 19’s.

You can’t touch a 66 for under $350 and 100% with the original stuff are bringing over $500. It’s appreciating while the Glock is depreciating. (if that matters to you)

Guest icehead

I guess I feel like I can get a G19/17 anytime, but the Model 66 2 1/2 Stainless is just plain cool to me. I feel sort of stupid trying to swap a 15 rd gun for 6 rd gun but i just like revolvers

I guess I feel like I can get a G19/17 anytime, but the Model 66 2 1/2 Stainless is just plain cool to me. I feel sort of stupid trying to swap a 15 rd gun for 6 rd gun but i just like revolvers

Then keep the Glock also.

everything is application driven :)

allhandguns002web.jpg

Guest Britestar

Personally if you need more than 5 rounds your in a heap of trouble. I am not looking to get into shoot outs with columbian drug lords. Just protect family and myself.

Personally if you need more than 5 rounds your in a heap of trouble. I am not looking to get into shoot outs with columbian drug lords. Just protect family and myself.

Four unarmed (or armed) men versus you, you have a reason to believe that you are in danger of serious injury or death. I'd rather have 16 rounds than 5. If they are armed, you are at a disadvantage. If you only have 5 rounds, you didn't bring enough gun.

Asking someone to compare a S&W 66 and a Glock 19 is like comparing Apples and oranges in my book. If it were me, I'd get the 66. Glock 19s come along every minute. 66's don't. Never owned one, but I have owned a 19. Good pistol. You won't see them anymore.

BTW, if I'm facing 4 perps, I'm in a place I ain't got no business being in! But what about a home invasion, you say. That's why God created the man that designed the Remington 870. Can you hear the CHUNK, CHUNK? Better run cause some serious lead is coming your way!

Guest coldblackwind

I don't have a 19, but I do have a 17, and a 30 (not the same, but the 17 is comparable enough for this I think), and a 4" 66. I love my glocks, I love my 66, but if you told me I could only keep one, it would be the 66. They both feel great, they both shoot great, but I still prefer the 66, and I'm not so much a wheelgun guy if that tells you anything.

IMHO, you can't compare an S&W 66 to a Glock 19. There are too many differences.

I would keep the Glock and save up for the '66. It's a fine revolver. You will not find one for less than $600, regardless of what some books might say. If you do buy it!

Guest oldsmobile98

I've heard good things about the 66.

The S&W 686 Plus with a 2.5-inch barrel can hold 7 rounds.

It's an L-frame, which some say is more sturdy than the K-frame if you are shooting a lot of heavy .357 loads.

I have a S&W 620, which is the "updated" 66 with an L-frame and 7-round capacity. Has the integral lock, though. I like it a lot, but I don't believe they make a snub-nose version.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get!

IMHO, you can't compare an S&W 66 to a Glock 19. There are too many differences.

I would keep the Glock and save up for the '66. It's a fine revolver. You will not find one for less than $600, regardless of what some books might say. If you do buy it!

On on this board right now for 450.00.

I agree on price for the most part, I was just quoting "book" values as a starting point.

Guest coldblackwind

First statement is true, there really isn't a good comparison between the two. However, $600 is a bit high for a 66, the new one...686 maybe? They are about that much. I bought mine about 3-4 months ago I think for $375 otd (given this was pretty low, and from an individual), but I see them hanging right around $450 or so generally. The show I bought it at had 5 or 6 at it, and the most expensive I think was about $529 or something like that. As for the one on this board someone mentioned, I believe he's come down to $400 actually.

Guest Muttling

I'm a HUGE fan of 66's and the .357 cartridge (I've owned 3 and carried one for years.) If you're looking at the one that's for sale on the board now, that's one hell of a good deal.

If you do go with the 66, you'll be amazaed at how accurate the thing is and I'm betting you will shoot better with it than any of your other carry weapons.

My only 2 gripes about this weapon are weight and noise. It is a heavy handgun which is great when it comes time to shoot but a PITA for carry.

It's also loud as crap, shooting more than 3 or 4 rounds without hearing protection is like someone driving a spike in your ear. The good news is that the noise is worse down range so even if you miss you'll scare the piss out of the bad guy.

Guest HexHead

You end up carrying the Glock a lot more than the revolver. I was packin' my K-frame 4" Model 10 on Friday, and my Glock 19 is a hell of a lot easier to conceal and more comfortable. And I'm comparing both using OWB holsters. It's just the ergonomics of the Glock lend themselves to carry better.

Guest HexHead
HexHead edited his post. He suggested going with a .357 sig if the OP didn't want to sacrafice the power of the cartridge.

I edited it after I noticed he already had the G19. I originally made that recommendation thinking he was trying to decide which to buy.

Guest HexHead
The .357 Sig is not the same cartidge as the .357 mag. IMO, you're better off with a .40 if you're going automatic.

There's at least two if not three better choices for a Glock than the .40. In fact, if .40 was the only choice, I'd never buy one. Period.

As to not being the same?....

.357 Magnum Winchester 125-grain JHP 1,399 fps 4-inch barrel

.357 SIG Federal 125-grain JHP 1,365 fps Glock 22

.357 SIG Cor-Bon 125-grain JHP 1,414 fps Glock 22

.357 SIG Hornady 125-grain JHP XTP 1,341 fps Glock 22

http://www.gunweek.com/2002/feature0210.html

Edited by HexHead