Official Dictionary Thread!

Smith

I've been informed that Merriam-Webster is no longer the authority on acceptable word usage and validity. That is why I am starting the official word thread. That way the grammar Nazi's can make sure we are in compliance with proper usage. :rock:

Of course this is tongue in cheek, but could be interesting! Have fun, but be nice!:)

I'll start. Please validate/invalidate/define these words:

- irregardless

- boolit

- SNAP!

- ain't

- yo

- fofie

- milli

-fully

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ghostrider

From dictionary.com - used as an adverb

fully, completely, or entirely; quite; at least: The blow knocked him full around. It happened full 30 years ago.

The top one on my list - fo shizzle (and variants)

While we're playing grammar nazi, just a short vent. I had not heard the word "notion" in many years until I heard bho use it in the campaign. Now, everyone is using it. I find it very annoying, even worse than "like".

Yo - half of a toy. Frequently used as a word by those with half a brain.

LMFAO!

I ain't no grammer Nazi but I hate it when people use the wrong word in place of another such as weather in place of whether,steel in place of steal,and my pet peeve of all them loose in place of lose.

Thank you! I see a ton of that on here.

I ain't no grammer Nazi but I hate it when people use the wrong word in place of another such as weather in place of whether,steel in place of steal,and my pet peeve of all them loose in place of lose.

Mine is your vs. you're

Funny how we all hate butchering proper English yet will use all sorts of non standard "text" abbreviations in post. thnx, LOL, IIRC, etc. Oh the irony. I bet English teachers are having fits these days!:rolleyes:

Are you kidding? Judging from what I've seen lately, english teachers these days are more concerned with relating the dangers of global warming, gun ownership, and capitalism than teaching unimportant subjects such as grammar, spelling and composition.

Guest Gun Geek

Yeah I agree, steel I think the worst is your vs you're. But I think sometimes we can losen up a bit depending on the whether.

Are you kidding? Judging from what I've seen lately, english teachers these days are more concerned with relating the dangers of global warming, gun ownership, and capitalism than teaching unimportant subjects such as grammar, spelling and composition.

Tru dat!, tru dat!

OOH! The worst for me is "I have a gun for sale. But I only want to sale it to somebody local."

I spell ok, btu my tpyign is luosy. :P

TK47

That's me! I work nights and sometimes I'm pretty tired and my mind moves faster than my fingers. When I look back at a post I thought was grammatically perfect, it looks like it was written by a 5 year old!:up:

Or their and there?

Or hear and here?

And Choose and chose?

Guest mustangdave
We really need to scrap English and go to Latin..... or Greek!

Aw shucks just skip all the silly euro-trash languages...go straight to Aramaic:cool:we'll have to learn it anyway so we can cuss at Haji and Moostafa while we spray and pray