Japanese Arisaka Type 38

Hey guys, when I run across old Military Firearms for sell, I'm going to start posting them here, both for discussion and so if there happens to be a collector out there, they can go check it out themselves. I did this with the 1917 Enfield the other day at Gander Mountain. Since I'm in Knoxville, that's where most of these great old firearms will be located. Also I have no idea if the firearms have been re-blued or refurbished in any way. So basically I'm just saying they look good or they look like a POS. I claim no expertise!

Today I ran by Randy's Guns on Broadway/Maynardville Hwy here in Knoxville. They had a Japanese Arisaka Type 38 carbine in 6.5mm.

The rifle is almost cherry in appearance. I'd rate it 90+ for that. I did not check out the bore, but the chamber and and mag looked almost new. The mum is still on the receiver and the cleaning rod is on the rifle. The price is $599 cash and carry (whatever that means). If your in the market for a Japanese rifle, this is a nice one that you might want to checkout.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought from Randy's twice, most recently a week ago.

The price quoted to me had sales tax added on top.

And it was for cash. Plastic use would be 3 or 4 per cent more (I forget which).

But they didn't charge TICS fee.

Actually, it's against CC companies policy to charge more for using plastic.

But it must still be okay to charge less for cash, dunno.

The item in question, they may have a different pricing just for that item, dunno.

- OS

I saw that! Glad you got a look at the Enfield. Wonder if Gander wll dicker on the price any at all.

Thanks for the thumbs up on posting my sightings! I love the old stuff too. ARs and stuff are nice, but the old war horses are far more fun in my book! They have personality!

BTW, I ain't done yet! :poop:

Edited by Moped

I thought I mentioned that. The Mum is there. If this rifle is original, then it's probably worth some money. But it also may be priced at the top of it's range. Someone else can answer that question. I really haven't a clue.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW!!! Lucky you! Congratulations! Did he happen to bring it back from the war? That might ought to be a Family heirloom.

I was told by an old friend that the Arisaka is one of the strongest actions ever made. He said a lot of magnum and wildcat rifles were built on Arisaka actions. Another reason there aren't a lot around anymore.

Guest mosinon

West Side representing!

Actually moved from between Halls and Powell not too long ago so....

Anyway, I really appreciate you keeping us on top of what is showing up around here. I'd appreciate a thread talking about places to procure guns in east tennessee just as much. I tried a pawnshop the other day West Side pawn but no guns....

WOW!!! Lucky you! Congratulations! Did he happen to bring it back from the war? That might ought to be a Family heirloom.

I was told by an old friend that the Arisaka is one of the strongest actions ever made. He said a lot of magnum and wildcat rifles were built on Arisaka actions. Another reason there aren't a lot around anymore.

My grandfather brought it back. He has another rifle that I haven't been able to identify. I;ll try and get pic's of them Mon so someone might be able to help

The 'mum is coveted as we mandated that it be ground off after the surrender. That is why it's fairly rare and gets a few extra $. The price you mentioned I have no opinion on. Don't know that much about Jap rifles.

I don’t think we mandated it. Japanese soldiers tried to grind off the mum because it was a disgrace to give away something that belonged to the Emperor.

I got my 38 from my Dad, he signed up to get one in the PI at the end of the war. Indeed, the mum was removed as a way of saving face. Mine does not have the mum but has all the other markings. Lots of info on the web. I've got dies and stuff but have yet to reload for it. Cool rifle, long and heavy. Neat bayonet.:rolleyes: