XD9 SubCompact and Glock 26

Guest truthsayer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has owned both, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I see no one has jumped on the topic yet, so I'll kick it off, even though I only own the XD SC.

I never bought the G26, but have shot one on a number of occasions. Shot a G26 just a couple of weeks ago, matter of fact. My EDC decision came down to one of the two about a year ago.

Size: there's not 1/4" difference in any dimension between the two.

Weight: G26 is lighter by several ounces

Capacity: XD SC: 13+1 (although when I bought it, was only 10+1, same as G26)

Finish: "Tennifer" and "Melonite" equally durable.

Other features: XD has grip safety, visual/tactile loaded chamber and cocked indicators.

Shootability: I shoot both the same with sights, XD wins for me on point shooting. I actually slightly prefer the Glock's stock sights.

Reliability: Any claimed differences are just kool-aid induced.

It's a close call, and I'm sure I would be happy with G26, but I decided on XD. Balance beam was tipped by 2 major factors:

- It simply points more on target for me

- The grip safety is a great comfort to me.

The loaded/cocked indicators are slick, but that the flush fit mag has been redesigned to hold 13, that's even a bigger plus to me - 13+1 within the overall small dimensions seems like magic.

Both fine choices, and certainly if the XD subbie didn't exist, I'd be toting a G26 daily.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I see no one has jumped on the topic yet, so I'll kick it off, even though I only own the XD SC.

I never bought the G26, but have shot one on a number of occasions. Shot a G26 just a couple of weeks ago, matter of fact. My EDC decision came down to one of the two about a year ago.

Other features: XD has grip safety, visual/tactile loaded chamber and cocked indicators.

Shootability: I shoot both the same with sights, XD wins for me on point shooting. I actually slightly prefer the Glock's stock sights.

It's a close call, and I'm sure I would be happy with G26, but I decided on XD. Balance beam was tipped by 2 major factors:

The loaded/cocked indicators are slick, but that the flush fit mag has been redesigned to hold 13, that's even a bigger plus to me - 13+1 within the overall small dimensions seems like magic.

Both fine choices, and certainly if the XD subbie didn't exist, I'd be toting a G26 daily.

- OS

+1

COMPLETELY AGREE:D

(AS FAR AS SIGHTS, They ALL need a good set of NIGHTYS)

FWIW the glocks do have a loaded chamber indicator, but it's much easier to see/feel on the XD.

Yes, it also serves as an extractor.

But it was an "upgrade" so early model don't have them.

Unless they were upgraded.

Not that it matters much if you keep your finger off the trigger.

All mine are loaded, even if I just checked to make sure it was NOT loaded.

Yeah, I'm a bit muzzle shy as you can tell.

- OS

I totally agree with what OhShoot has said from his point of view. Basically turn it around to the G26 in my case though. Considering I shot OhShoots' XD and he shot my G26 a few weeks back, after exchanging the "why we purchased" statements, we both agree that either is an outstanding choice for personal carry. Yes both have their issues depending on who you talk to, but the main thing is what you actually feel comfortable with in your hand. If possible, shoot them both. If you were closer to KTown, I know both OhShoot and I would let you pound out a few rounds out of each gun. :tough:

truthsayer, I know you are in Memphis, but I also know we have both of these guns for rent at "The Great Outdoor Store" range in Jackson, TN. Just in case you can't find them in memphis to do a side by side shoot test.

I like the glock better myself, because to me the XD has a higher barrel axis, I believe is what it is called. As others have said either are great weapons it is just up to the individual to choose.

- OS

Another +1. I don't own either, but have shot the XD and thoroughly inspected the G26. For me, the XD felt and pointed much better than the Glock. That said, I don't care for the grip safety on the XD. It's not an XD isue, but I don't want any extra 'safeties' on a carry weapon.

If I had to pick one, I'd go for the XD. It felt better in my hand and pointed naturally. I don't care for the grip safety, but it doesn't add any extra steps to using the weapon as your hand naturally releases it.

If anyone has owned both, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

You might try renting at RangeUSA. I know they have a G26. Not sure about the XD. I have the G26. Have never shot the XD. I do like the G26 for carry (IWB). I have Pierce extensions to get up to 12+1. Got them mainly for the extra finger placement on firing, but have found I like it even more for aiding the draw. I shoot it just as well, with or without the extensions. Extension doesn't seem to hurt in printing either.

I doubt you'd go wrong with the XD though. I think it just comes down to personal feel. Good luck.

Guest NeuralFizz
You might try renting at RangeUSA. I know they have a G26. Not sure about the XD. I have the G26. Have never shot the XD. I do like the G26 for carry (IWB). I have Pierce extensions to get up to 12+1. Got them mainly for the extra finger placement on firing, but have found I like it even more for aiding the draw. I shoot it just as well, with or without the extensions. Extension doesn't seem to hurt in printing either.

I doubt you'd go wrong with the XD though. I think it just comes down to personal feel. Good luck.

Seriously. They're very similar guns and I'd say go with which one feels better to you/what you shoot better with.

Both great choices.

Guest FiddleDog

I think that the polygonal rifling of the G26 may yield better ballistics than the standard rifling of the XD. Outside of that, the safety of the xd is definitely a nice feature to have. I thought that the G26 was slightly more concealable.