Would it be considered rude to ask if you may field strip before buying?

TnShooter83

I've manage to gather up almost enough to buy a used SR9, or Taurus 24/7.

I've got a few question.

Does any one think it would be rude to ask,

"May I/you field strip the pistol to check for any "hidden" damages?

I'd tell them upfront, "I'll take it if all looks good inside"

What about at least a "Function Test?"

Also, I often have NUMEROUS people walk up and ask to look at my firearms.

I don't mind at all if they are interested. But the last time there an

idiot dropped one of my Smith & Wesson models 36's.

Would it be rude to say, "Yes sir, but I'm asking ????, Now if you are still interest in it for that price, you are more than welcome to handle/look at my stuff"

I bet I have 25+ people walk up and ask to see something.

Fiddle with all the stuff, rub on it, slide/rack. Open and slam the cylinders, ect...Only not to want it after they hear the asking price.

So I thinking, I should just get that out of the way before anything else.

I figure this might help keep things from being handled for no good reason

Guess, I'm just a bit shy.

I might sound a bit like arrogant asking, But I work hard for

what little money I make..... icon11.gif

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boatme99

Would you buy a car without test driving it? I don't see any problem as long as you show you are knowledgeable and can perform all functions in a safe manner. If they don't want you to break down a gun, let them do it. Shouldn't be a problem.

Guest jps37033

Absolutely NOT. If a true firearm dealer refused it, he is hiding something. I dont buy a car without carfax. I have actually been to a large "franchised" type dealer that told me that I could not disassmble a fire arm. I went down the street in Jackson,TN, got a better price, AND the dealer walked me through field stripping it, cleaning it, and it had been shot a few times! And I bought it. You know why, he lets his real buyers handle it and break it down to make sure they are happy with their purchase. I will never buy a gun another place no matter what i have to pay.

Guest Todd@CIS

If I'm selling the gun and someone asks, no problem...but I'M going to be the one to fieldstrip it. I have no idea what the other person's level of gunhandling is.

Can you imagine someone putting an "idiot mark" on your Ed Brown 1911 that you're trying to sell?

:lol:

Guest Hyaloid

Yeah, if I didn't own it, I'd ask the owner to field strip it FOR me. I don't want to damage a firearm I don't own, even though the chance is remote.

I always ask if they mind if I dry fire it too...

Do unto others, right?

As far as telling them the asking price, and then if they are "interested" at that price, I wouldn't have a problem with that as a buyer myself. I'd say sure, even if I wasn't interested so I could slam the cylinder shut and watch the look on your face! (I'm kidding, it wouldn't bother me in the least if a buyer asked that).

If I'm selling the gun and someone asks, no problem...but I'M going to be the one to fieldstrip it. I have no idea what the other person's level of gunhandling is.

Can you imagine someone putting an "idiot mark" on your Ed Brown 1911 that you're trying to sell?

:lol:

+1. I field strip the ones I look at after permission and then I'm careful at that. I've seen some guys go to town if they can't figure it out and nearly destroy the piece. Of course, I was raised if you break it your bought it!

Guest JHatmaker

If I'm at a show or something and someone has something I'm interested in, I always ask permission to rack the slide, dry fire etc.

If it's something I'm really not interested in but want to see up close, I just tell them to hold on to it so I can take a quick look.

• Administrator

:P

Exactly.

+1

I've been labeled an ******* (Imagine that!) by people because I wouldnt let them dissassemble our firearms. I make it clear that *I* will field strip it, but if I had a nickel for every time someone tried to take apart a gun and completely screwed it up to the point of seizing the thing up... I'd be paying more of my bills on time.

+1

I've been labeled an ******* (Imagine that!) by people because I wouldnt let them dissassemble our firearms. I make it clear that *I* will field strip it, but if I had a nickel for every time someone tried to take apart a gun and completely screwed it up to the point of seizing the thing up... I'd be paying more of my bills on time.

I can understand that. Hell, I've done it to MY gun. :P BTW, Daniel's a great guy. Just bought my XDM-40 from him yesterday. And he has a seriously pimptastic AR15. :P

What he said :P

Guest hickok

I never buy a gun without field stripping it. I'm always polite and ask if the owner / clerk minds or would prefer to do it himself.

I'll never forget the guy at this worthless shop over on Charlotte ( I forget the name of it) Avenue in Nashville. When I asked if he'd mind my field stripping a Glock before purchasing, you would have thought I'd asked if I could give him a proctology exam or something.

I don't bother those folks by going in and buying stuff anymore.

Edited by hickok

A couple of years ago I was in a shop with an indoor range, and was kind of halfway interested in a used G36 they had. Not only did the clerk offer ti field strip it for me, but when it was clear that I was actually interested, and not just kicking tires, he grabbed some ammo and let me shoot a magazine through it in their range. I left with the gun, a holster, and some ammo. :rofl:

I have no problem with people wanting to inspect a field stripped gun, or even shoot it if there's a range available. However, I generally prefer that the seller field strips it. That way, there's less risk of someone unfamiliar with the gun goofing something up.

If I can't strip it, or see it striped, I won't buy it. Always best to take a look under the hood so to speak. :stare:

+1

My local shop had a P220 I was interested in. I asked to field strip it and they looked at me like I had spit on their floor. They finally agreed and a good thing I asked. The rails were worn out. It looked like it had been fired a LOT dry with no lube. If stores won't let you, or at least break it down for you go somewhere else.

I don’t think it’s rude to do whatever you like once you have an agreed on price.

I also figure that if someone damages or scratches a firearm while field stripping it; they own it. That’s why I don’t even handle guns I have no intention of buying.

Guest FiddleDog

At the very least, if the seller has reservations about letting a potential buyer breaking down the weapon, the seller should at least be willing to field strip it for you.

Guest NeuralFizz

On Target here in Murfreesboro won't let you field strip em when I went. I didn't bother asking if they would do it for me because they were such jerks, but when I was about to look at the barrel of one they freaked out on me. Didn't realize it was such a faux pas.

Guest The Highlander

I think it is prudent to always ask first. If the seller will do it for me, that is fine. I will always open the cylinder of a revolver and check the barrel for wear, etc. and I don't ask permission to do that. I lock the slide back on an auto and can see most of what I want to know from there. If I'm still interested, I ask them to break it down.

On a side note, I had a Kahr K9 for sell a few years ago. At a gun show, I had it locked open. Of course it is a Browning style tilting barrel design. A "dealer" at a table asked to see it when I was looking at something he had on his table. I handed it to him, pointing straight up. He pulled his hands away and told me in a loud voice that he wasn't interested, the gun had been abused, "why...just look at the barrel, its' way out of alignment..."

I don't know if he was an idiot, or thought I was, and would basically give him the gun thinking it was damaged. Either way, I left.

The Highlander

I collect M1 Garand's. if I am looking at one from an private seller I will often ask to take it out of the stock. Not a full field strip but I do need to see the receiver markings and other internal parts markings. Most people do not mind and want to know more about the rifle ...even if I do not buy it. I have yet to have anyone say no...

On other firearms ... I give it the best once over that I can and go from there.

Guest s&w40cal

Originally Posted by Todd@CIS viewpost.gif

DITTO.

I don't care if the seller wants to be the one to field strip it, as long as I can inspect the weapon and give it a once over. The ones I've bought here have met me at the Stones River range and let me shoot some rounds after we agreed on a price. Just give them the option of who strips it down.