Hello Gunowners. Its been a while. Help sought...

Guest jps37033

Guest jps37033

Ok, here is where I am. I have owned the following:

Bersa .380 - Loved the gun, shot it great, and felt comfortable. I would bank my life on the gun, but weary about the caliber. No longer own it.

Ruger p94 - Absolutely loved the gun. Looked tough, shot tough, and was a "Mans Gun". Shot it good, never carried it. Loved the grip, but kinda bulky.

I have handled a glock (most models) and the grip is too wide/bulky. I have smaller hands. The ruger sr9 grip feels good as it is slimmer. I love the walther p22 grips. The Kahr 40 had an awesome grip. XD's are a bit bulky, M&P's are ok'ish, held a CZ sp and it was awesome. Looked at the new CZ p07 duty, fell in love, then read the cz forum. All bad on quality/safety. Love the taurus pt111, it fits perfect, but has no decocker. I prefer the chambered carry with gun decocked and safety off or no safety.

I am wanting to find the perfect gun for carry and home. Here are my wants/requirements:

I rather a decocker over a safety but a safety decocker is good and essentailly the same

I would prefer a hammer over a striker

I would prefer 7" or less on length, 26 oz or less on weight, and 5.25 or less on height. And, I like a gun that has interchangable backstraps.

If anyone has any suggestions that I can check out, please let me know so I can go try one out. I found a Bersa 9mm ultra compact that is close to the size of the bersa .380. Anyone handled this gun?

I really appreciate your help and expertise!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jps37033

Butttttt...... Suntzu. You might have a point. The sigmas have a stiff enough trigger that a decocker might not be needed. Hmmmmmm. How is the grip. I have heard the trigger is stiff. That gives you the same principle of having a decocked gun. That split millisecond of a harder trigger to decide if you want to shoot and not make a mistake. I want a glock. If glock trimmed the grip and added a decocker, id buy a hundred. They look good :lol:, sound good when slide is racked (kinda like a zippppppp), and are everlasting, but they will blow an excited mans leg off from the holster.

Guest SUNTZU
Butttttt...... Suntzu. You might have a point. The sigmas have a stiff enough trigger that a decocker might not be needed. Hmmmmmm. How is the grip. I have heard the trigger is stiff. That gives you the same principle of having a decocked gun. That split millisecond of a harder trigger to decide if you want to shoot and not make a mistake. I want a glock. If glock trimmed the grip and added a decocker, id buy a hundred. They look good :up:, sound good when slide is racked (kinda like a zippppppp), and are everlasting, but they will blow an excited mans leg off from the holster.

pistol-training.com Blog Archive Glock Adj Grips Confirmed

Supposed to be offering backstraps. I think there is a thread here somewhere on that. I carry a Glock everyday. Keep your finger off the trigger. If you reholster, keep your finger off the trigger and don't buy a holster with a thumb break, because it MIGHT get inside the trigger guard and you'll join the ranks of STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, at least in my opinion, feel free to make it yours.

If you are in a situation where you have to defend yourself, your fine motor skills are going to be lacking. If you get training and practice, you are less likely to put your finger on the trigger as you draw from your holster and shoot yourself in the ass or leg. Train til your comfortable with your weapon, then train some more.

I don't have a Sigma, but I've heard good things about them. You might love it or hate it, dunno. I bought a Glock because they are reliable and I'm used to them. Not saying others aren't or that Glocks are perfection (to all you eyeballs reading this out there in TGO land :lol:).

I am one of those that have a CZ P07. The problems you are reading about are a very slim minority. They've had far less issues than any of the big makers current offerings. SR9's, M&P's, SIG's newest have all had recalls or major problems with their first runs. That being said, I have yet to hear of a CZ customer who was not made right and very quickly. I think there are a total of 7 reports from P07 owners on the CZ forum that have sent theirs back, mine included.

It is a fantastic gun and should work well for you for the same reason it is my only carry gun. Don't let a few teething issues scare you off a pistol from a company with a great reputation and a great pistol.

Guest jps37033

If thats the case, and the bulging on the CZ duty slide is not wide spread, I will have one. Also, if glock offers a backstrap option, I will own 10! Thanks everyone.

Guest jps37033

Smith, I PM'ed you. I hope you can help with the uneasiness of the P07 problem. I really love the details of the gun. I actually saw your name their also. A friend did not like the lack of slide grip to rack with. My comment was "if you carry it unchambered and expect to win in a hostile environment, thats your lack of judgement". I feel the smallish slide is a non issue.

I don't find it a problem myself and I think you got it right about carrying unchambered. One of the things I like about the P07 is that it is hammer fired. Theoretically a little safer than a striker fired weapon, although striker fired malgunctions (usually drop related) are rare these days with firing pin block safties.

Guest colrmccoll

The Walther P99 and S&W SWP99 with an AS trigger CAN be decocked. This pistol comes with three types of triggers, AS, DAO, and QA. Only the AS has a decoker.

This is my favorite pistol in the AS trigger. I own a Walther P99, a SW99, a SW99C all in .40 S&W and SW99 in .45 ACP.

Second the P07. I was also leery of all the problems I was reading about in the CZ Forum, but mine has been trouble free so far. It *does* have a slight bulge in the frame, but it has not hindered performance yet. I am confident that if there is a problem, CZ will right it. The slide is smallish but it is not ornerous to grasp and rack. The slide release was a bit stiff at first, but either my thumb has bulked up or the release has worn in a little because now it's a lot easier. Ergonomics are beautiful, the trigger is excellent, recoil is extremely light, and the price is right.

The Walther P99 and S&W SWP99 with an AS trigger CAN be decocked. This pistol comes with three types of triggers, AS, DAO, and QA. Only the AS has a decoker.

This is my favorite pistol in the AS trigger. I own a Walther P99, a SW99, a SW99C all in .40 S&W and SW99 in .45 ACP.

They all have "decockers" but the AS and DAO are the only ones with second strike capability. I believe the SW99 is essentially a DAO. I've had two QA (think glockish trigger) and would have thought them the perfect pistol except for the longish reset, parts availability/support, and expensive mags. Pistol to pistol though, the P99/SW99 is an excellent platform. Plus it's James Bond's gun!

Guest donfromtexas

Have you tried an "SF" Glock? I also have smallish hands and I love my Glock30SF. 10+1 rounds of .45 acp is more than adequate in my opinion... carry the extra mag if you need more. My wife shoots it and has no problem hitting bulls either. I carry mine in a Bianchi 100pro iwb holster and have no problems carrying it all day.

Guest abailey362
That split millisecond of a harder trigger to decide if you want to shoot and not make a mistake.

if ever in a situation where you are drawn, you should be shooting. that decision about your life or someone else's being in danger should be made before you pull the gun.

that being said, an xdM meets all requirements besides the decocker. it has capacity, size, changeable backstraps, etc.

you said if glock had changeable straps you'd have em, and this is pretty damn close.

Guest jps37033

I looked at the RIA 1911. I liked it, but weight was over 2lbs unloaded. I had seen a carry model 1911 that was a 9mm, but I do not remember the brand.

I also looked at the SW p99 AS. That might be the way to go. I loved the ergonomics of the walther p99 I handled. The decocker is a good selling point.

Guest jps37033
:up: Now thats a carry gun! Should fit in my pocket with a hole cut out and should not obstruct knee movement. Also, with a solid steel belt it should not sag pants at all.
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest eyebedam
Ok, here is where I am. I have owned the following:

Bersa .380 - Loved the gun, shot it great, and felt comfortable. I would bank my life on the gun, but weary about the caliber. No longer own it.

Ruger p94 - Absolutely loved the gun. Looked tough, shot tough, and was a "Mans Gun". Shot it good, never carried it. Loved the grip, but kinda bulky.

I have handled a glock (most models) and the grip is too wide/bulky. I have smaller hands. The ruger sr9 grip feels good as it is slimmer. I love the walther p22 grips. The Kahr 40 had an awesome grip. XD's are a bit bulky, M&P's are ok'ish, held a CZ sp and it was awesome. Looked at the new CZ p07 duty, fell in love, then read the cz forum. All bad on quality/safety. Love the taurus pt111, it fits perfect, but has no decocker. I prefer the chambered carry with gun decocked and safety off or no safety.

I am wanting to find the perfect gun for carry and home. Here are my wants/requirements:

I rather a decocker over a safety but a safety decocker is good and essentailly the same

I would prefer a hammer over a striker

I would prefer 7" or less on length, 26 oz or less on weight, and 5.25 or less on height. And, I like a gun that has interchangable backstraps.

If anyone has any suggestions that I can check out, please let me know so I can go try one out. I found a Bersa 9mm ultra compact that is close to the size of the bersa .380. Anyone handled this gun?

I really appreciate your help and expertise!

I have looked at the sigmas and the p99's. Both are strikered and unable to be "decocked". Thanks though for input.
Just to let ya'll know, I went with local. :D

The "in-hand", and "walking out the door with it" got the best of me :lol:

I still got a good deal too. I went with a Walther P99 for $425 plus taxes tags and licenses :up:

It does feel good to have it in hand, and have a local merchant.

Did you forget you owned a P99 a year or so ago or was that just a crap thread because you jerked me around when I was selling mine?