Can I deer hunt with my AK-47

Guest nozzle13

I recently re-took the hunter safety class with my son. I specifically asked the wild life officer teaching about the mag restrictions. He said nope, all the rounds you want unless federal bird. Also you can now hunt deer with any centerfire rifle round in tennessee. He was not for the last one though, cause using a .223 requires more skill than a child has, even with out all the recoil.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't agree with the any centerfire caliber either. The .22 centerfires with the right bullet will make good kills on deer but most factory ammo don't have the right bullet. Ky. has had this for a lot longer than Tn. and most hunters up there don't use anything smaller than a .243. I've talked to some Ky. hunters and they know guys that have used stuff like .222,.223,and .22-250 and they say it don't work evertime. As for the 7.62x39 for deer it will work ok. A friend has an SKS and has used it and says it works good. But the kicker is he's using a 7mm Mauser now. Hmmmmm.

Guest Patty
OK, so I've never been deer hunting before. I'm planning on taking the hunter safety course here in a few weeks. I'd like to give it a try.

Unfortunately, the only guns I have that I could hunt with is a shotgun, and my AK. I don't want to go spend money I don't really have on a new hunting rifle, just to find out hunting is not really my thing. I doubt it, but you never know.

Anyway, is it acceptable to hunt with my AK? Are there any restrictions about magazine capacity, hollowpoint/FMJ?

Most importantly, will the other hunters all laugh at me? After all, hunting is about style, right? :rolleyes:

That would depend on the length of the barrel, and if the weapon is capable of being use as a fully auto weapon at the time of inspection. And also if center fire weapons are even allowed where you are going to be going.

• 2 weeks later...
Most importantly, will the other hunters all laugh at me? After all, hunting is about style, right? :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Of course they are going to laugh at you, most will do it to your face. If you are going to be close enough to a deer for a kill shot with an AK; just use your shotgun. It will probably work out better for you and everyone won芒鈧劉t be pointing at you and laughing.

rollfloor.gif

I've used a mini-30 for deer for years. The caliber is definitely capable. I would be ver concerned about the AK's accuracy. Despite all of the internet lore, I get 3-4" groups with cheap ammo with low power optics a mini-30. I've mostly had 6+" groups with the AKs. Bullet placement is more important than ballistics, IMO.

EDIT, If you take th AK out of state, be wary of mag capacity restrictions. Many states limit is 5 rounds.

Guest archerdr1

I don't have an AK, but do have an SKS (7.62x39). Have shot two deer over the years at 100yds +. Never had to look for them. The last one was this season. 180lb buck. He was standing broad side at about 100yds (give or take a yard or two). Open sights, shot him in the neck, bullet went through the top valves of his heart and out behind his shoulder. Don't ask me how it took that path, but it did and he dropped in his tracks. The other one was the year I got my SKS. We were in Mississippi and we were using dogs (legal there). He was at a little over 100yds and running with a beagle on his tail. I hit him through the lungs and he dropped dead. I will argue for that caliber to be more than sufficient to deer hunt, in fact, if I am not using my bow, that is what I am using.

• 1 month later...
Guest mossyoakman

yes you can just make sure you have softpoints, hollowpoints, or ballistic tips. i used to use one when i was in florida. i used ballistic tips. did a great job on deer.