Can I deer hunt with my AK-47

OK, so I've never been deer hunting before. I'm planning on taking the hunter safety course here in a few weeks. I'd like to give it a try.

Unfortunately, the only guns I have that I could hunt with is a shotgun, and my AK. I don't want to go spend money I don't really have on a new hunting rifle, just to find out hunting is not really my thing. I doubt it, but you never know.

Anyway, is it acceptable to hunt with my AK? Are there any restrictions about magazine capacity, hollowpoint/FMJ?

Most importantly, will the other hunters all laugh at me? After all, hunting is about style, right? :woohoo:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if you shout "Wolverines!" when you make your kill. And yes, the other hunters will laugh at you. But if your deer is big enough, they will stop laughing real quick, and run out and buy AKs (if they can find them). :woohoo:

"Rifles or handguns loaded with military or other full metal jacketed type of ammunition are prohibited."

Here are the rules: http://tennessee.gov/twra/huntweapons.html

Edited by mousegunner
Guest 70below

Is this an inside joke? lol

I've known plenty of guys to take deer with an SKS within 150yds or so, an AK should be no different. Just make sure you pick up a box of soft points. I think Barnaul has some 154gr SP's out, but the 123ish gr SP should be fine. It all about shot placement........you're more likely that other hunters will make fun of your gutshot deer than your AK

I plan on it as well. Winchester, Remington, Wolf, Cor-Bon, and I'm sure some others are now making hunting loads for the AK. From what I've seen the lighter loads 124g actually do better than the 154g loads. The fact that so many hunting loads are coming out in x39 says it is becoming a fairly common hunting round. It is especially well suited for hunting in TN, with our thick underbrush and shorter "hollow" ranges.

"Wolverines" is sort of an inside joke, but well-known to all AK-47 owners. It comes from the name of the football team of a small town high school. In the movie Red Dawn, the USA is invaded by Communists with ak-47s. They are eventually repelled, etc. etc....

Red Dawn

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red Dawn 200px-Red_dawn.jpg

Starring Patrick Swayze

Charlie Sheen

Lea Thompson

Jennifer Grey

C. Thomas Howell

Brad Savage

Darren Dalton Music by Basil Poledouris Cinematography Ric Waite Editing by Thom Noble Distributed by MGM/UA Entertainment Co. Release date(s) August 10, 1984 Running time 114 minutes Country 22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngUnited States Language English Budget $4,200,000 Gross revenue $38,376,497 Red Dawn is a 1984 American war film directed and co-written by John Milius and also written by Kevin Reynolds. The film is set in an alternate timeline during the mid-1980s, and deals with an invasion of the United States by the Soviet Union and its Central American allies. However, the onset of World War III is merely in the background of the plot and not fully elaborated upon. The story follows a group of American high school students who resist their foreign occupiers through guerrilla warfare and call themselves the Wolverines, after their local football team, some of whom are members.

Red Dawn was the first movie in film history to be released in the US with a Motion Picture Association of America PG-13 rating.[1] At one time, Red Dawn was considered the most violent film by the Guinness Book of Records and The National Coalition on Television Violence, with a rate of 134 acts of violence per hour, or 2.23 per minute.[2]

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Plot summary

The prologue of the film explains that Communist ideology has taken root in many nations of the world, especially in South America and Central America, due to falling economic conditions and food shortages. The Soviet Union has experienced its worst wheat harvest in 55 years, and invades the former countries of the Warsaw Pact in Eastern Europe such as Poland, where mass rioting has occurred. Previously, West Germany was forced into disarmament when the Greens Party came into power there, and as such was left helpless to the Soviet onslaught (the film was released 5 years before the fall of the Berlin Wall). These events cause global disruption and tensions, NATO dissolves with the countries of Europe saying "twice in one century was enough" (according to Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner (Powers Boothe)), and the United Nations is left a political non-entity. With the onset of World War III looming, the United States is left standing alone.

The film begins when a normal September morning in the small Colorado town of Calumet is unexpectedly interrupted by the surprise appearance of Cuban and Soviet paratroopers in the empty fields behind the local high school. As the paratroopers begin their attack and rounding up the townspeople, a small group of teenagers escapes in a truck, obtains weapons and supplies from a store, and flees to the nearby mountains where they had previously hunted with their fathers. The Arapaho National Forest becomes their base.

When they return to find news on what has happened, the boys are given sanctuary for a time on a ranch by an old couple who are long-time friends of their families, and who inform them that they are "40 miles (64 km) behind enemy lines." The couple charge them with the care of their two granddaughters, Toni (Jennifer Grey) and Erica (Lea Thompson) Mason. Led by Jed Eckert (Patrick Swayze), his brother Matt (Charlie Sheen) and their friends Robert (C. Thomas Howell), Danny (Brad Savage), Daryl (Darren Dalton), and Aardvark (Doug Toby)—who call themselves the Wolverines after their high school mascot,[1]—they begin a resistance against the Soviet-allied occupation force.

Jed and Matt learn that their father, a former military colonel who has given the two boys a lifetime of rigorous military and survival training, has now been captured and is being held in a Soviet concentration camp. Col. Eckart tells the two boys to forget about him, and to "avenge" him. In response, the "Wolverines" mount strikes on invading forces, and persuade others to do the same.

Soon afterward, the Wolverines encounter Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, a fighter pilot whose plane was shot down in air combat against Soviet planes over the area. Tanner informs them that half of America was taken over by a sudden strike through Mexico, but that the Soviet progress had been halted; the Colonel then assists the Wolverines in organizing raids against the Soviets.

As the result of escalating guerrilla attacks, the Soviet field commanders now view the Wolverines as a serious threat. Initially, the occupiers had tried terror tactics, executing groups of civilians following every Wolverine attack, to intimidate the local population and the Wolverines into halting their attacks. However, this tactic backfires, and civilians lend increasing support to the resistance movement. Following a rise in popular support for the Wolverines, the Soviets decide to stop reprisals against civilians and begin hunting the Wolverines themselves. Spetsnaz commandos are sent into the mountains to eliminate the resistance, but the commandos are ambushed and killed by the Wolverines.

The Wolverines are weakened, however, by the attacks and other events, and their morale erodes as the war of attrition takes its toll on their numbers. Even though the civilians are increasingly resistant to Soviet rule, the occupation forces are pushing the resistance to the breaking point. The remaining Wolverines are ambushed by three Mil Mi-24 helicopter gunships, and Robert and Toni are killed, leaving the group reduced to four: Jed, Matt, Danny, and Erica. The survivors realize that they cannot outlast the Soviets, and if they keep fighting, they will all die. Determined to save at least some of their number, Jed and Matt stage a suicide attack on the Soviet regional headquarters in order to distract the troops while Danny and Erica escape to "Free American" territory. The ploy works: Jed and Matt are killed, but Danny and Erica are free.

The film's epilogue, narrated by Erica, suggests that the United States successfully repels the invasion some time later; a plaque is displayed with "Partisan Rock" in the background, a rock which throughout the film has been a recurring motif as each dead comrade's name has been inscribed upon it by a member of the Wolverines.

Only if you shout "Wolverines!" when you make your kill. And yes, the other hunters will laugh at you. But if your deer is big enough, they will stop laughing real quick, and run out and buy AKs (if they can find them). :screwy:

"Rifles or handguns loaded with military or other full metal jacketed type of ammunition are prohibited."

Here are the rules: Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Hunting Equipment & Methods

OK, so pretty much any softpoint or hollowpoint I can find at Walmart would be alright? What about something like the Wolf hollowpoints? I had been thinking of picking up a bunch of this stuff anyway. Is there anyway someone would know that they are mil-surp?

Oh, and the Wolverines call is a given. :)

Either AK or shotgun.

A shotgun is also very good at closer ranges and in thick cover. Just remember in TN you can only use a slug for deer hunting - no buckshot. A deer hit in the vitals with a slug will not go far, if anywhere.

I guess I never thought about using shotgun slugs for deer hunting. What would you say would be the max range they would be effective? Is this a common round?

The 7.62X39 IS NOT the equal of the 30-30 Win. The 30-30 Win fires a 150 gr bullet as fast or faster than the 7.62X39 fires a 123/4 gr bullet. If you step up to the 170 gr bullet with the 30-30 Win you get much more penetration on heaver game than you would with the 123/4 gr 7.62X39. The 7.62X39 will work pretty good out to around 100 yards on deer with proper bullet placement. Best shot is broad side through the heart lung area. I would try to find some Winchester ammo because it has a pretty good copper jacket SP bullet. The Wolf, Barnaul and other east block made ammo has a soft steel jacket HP or SP bullet that does not always expand well. The best bullet I have found is the Hornady 123 gr jacketed SP bullet hand loaded over a stiff dose of H335 or AA-1680 to 2350 fps or so from a 20" barrel. If you can place your bullets inside a 5" circle from a hunting shooting position out to a max limit of 100 yards you will have no trouble putting a bullet into the heart lung area of a deer and it will kill it. If you just pray and spray you will most likely miss your deer or gut shoot it and loose it. So practice and make each shot count.

The 7.62X39 IS NOT the equal of the 30-30 Win. The 30-30 Win fires a 150 gr bullet as fast or faster than the 7.62X39 fires a 123/4 gr bullet. If you step up to the 170 gr bullet with the 30-30 Win you get much more penetration on heaver game than you would with the 123/4 gr 7.62X39. The 7.62X39 will work pretty good out to around 100 yards on deer with proper bullet placement. Best shot is broad side through the heart lung area. I would try to find some Winchester ammo because it has a pretty good copper jacket SP bullet. The Wolf, Barnaul and other east block made ammo has a soft steel jacket HP or SP bullet that does not always expand well. The best bullet I have found is the Hornady 123 gr jacketed SP bullet hand loaded over a stiff dose of H335 or AA-1680 to 2350 fps or so from a 20" barrel. If you can place your bullets inside a 5" circle from a hunting shooting position out to a max limit of 100 yards you will have no trouble putting a bullet into the heart lung area of a deer and it will kill it. If you just pray and spray you will most likely miss your deer or gut shoot it and loose it. So practice and make each shot count.

Maybe at 5 ft from the muzzle. The 30-30 starts loosing velocity pretty fast as opposed to the x39. Even in 154g the x39 has better downrange performance than the 30-30. Now if you are using the Leverlution stuff that is definitely better downrange. However, they are still considered equals in terminal performance.

I guess I never thought about using shotgun slugs for deer hunting. What would you say would be the max range they would be effective? Is this a common round?

Yes, it is a common hunting method here in Tennessee. I grew up shotgun hunting because of the crap that I hunted in. Brush and undergrowth that looked like it came straight out of the Jungle Book. Gotta love a big ol' 12 gauge slug in situations like that. I felt comfortable taking 75 - 85 yard shots out of a smooth bore gun. I would imagine that a good rifled slug gun would easily take that out to 125 or better.

Yes, it is very common. In fact, some sates (like Ohio) only allow shotguns with slugs, muzzleloaders, bows or handguns - no rifles. I have probably killed more deer with a shotgun than any other type of weapon. Although, I usually prefer a rifle or bow.

Here in TN during the gun season, I choose a weapon based on the terrain, hunting method and how far I have to carry it. If I am hunting from a tree stand on a field - I want a scoped rifle. If I am hunting from a ground blind in tight cover, I might want a handgun (4" bbl or greater) or carbine with open sights. If I am hunting from a stand in brush or tight cover, I might want a shotgun or carbine with open sights. If I have to hike over rough terrain to my stand then I usually want something light with a good shoulder sling.

I am not sure what the effective range of a slug is, but I have taken them at better than 75yds with a 3" 12ga mag. I can get decent groups on paper @ 100yds, but that's about my limit for deer with my shotgun.

Either the AK or the shotgun will bag a deer just fine with a shot to the vitals. Just hunt more than once, and try both :P

Edited by Batman

when i was a kid, my 1st deer gun was a 12 gauge smoothbore with deer slugs.. holy cow that sucker kicked. 75 yards is a long shot for that gun tho.

The only restiction that I know of is 3 rounds when hunting migratory birds.

correct, you can use the 30-rounders for deer. but after you do it once, you may find that it may not be the easiest thing to carry around through the woods with a big long mag sticking out

correct, you can use the 30-rounders for deer. but after you do it once, you may find that it may not be the easiest thing to carry around through the woods with a big long mag sticking out

Yeah, bumping that mag on something at the wrong time could cost you a deer.

Guest GunTroll
Maybe at 5 ft from the muzzle. The 30-30 starts loosing velocity pretty fast as opposed to the x39. Even in 154g the x39 has better downrange performance than the 30-30. Now if you are using the Leverlution stuff that is definitely better downrange. However, they are still considered equals in terminal performance.

7.62x39 is a fine round with range limitations in mind. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use that cartridge. I would however not use it in a AK. I'd prefer a bolt gun chambered in that caliber. Better accuracy and velocity. An AK has no business being in the deer woods to me. If the OP has only an AK to go hunting with than by all means use it. Just remember the extra shots that an AK has to offer shouldn't be in his/your mind when the time comes. One should do it. Its not a war! Double taps aren't needed.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought there was a five round limitation on rifle's? I guess I learn something every day. Out comes the 75 round drum!!!

That's what I've always heard as well in TN, but never really looked it up. Hasn't ever really been an issue with the rifles I normally hunt with, but it's good to know in case I ever want to take the SKS or something else out hunting.

Guest Jeremey

I have hunted with my SKS and a 12 gauge with slugs. Where I used to hunt you wouldn't get a shot past 50 yards due to undercover. I shot one with the SKS, hit it, looked for it for 3 hours, and never found it. I took 3 with the smooth bore 12 gauge and never had to track them down. The furthest one ran was 10 yards before it laid down.