Need mobile phone advice

Motasyco

I need to get a new phone for work. I'm pretty much old school. I use a phone as a phone and to check my company email. I know phones today can do more than that but I'm pretty clueless. I want to get the best phone that I can and maybe would use other features if I could figure them out. The buttons and screens are so small it's pretty frustrating.

Here's my three options, all from Verizon. A HTC Touch Pro, a Samsung Omnia, or a Samsung Saga. I know there are those of you that consider these things essential to daily life and have a much better understanding of the features and functions than I do. Which would you choose and why? Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest foister82

i really like the omnia, wasnt that crazy for the saga. The HTC is always nice though. If i had a choice, i'd probably go with the omnia and save a few bucks.

so a cell phone and email is the only features you NEED?

the saga is $100 more than the other two.

the omnia and the HTC have touch screens and the saga has a full keyboard. the HTC also has a slide out keyboard.

the HTC is the only one with VZ Navigator capabilities.

the omnia has the best camera at 5.0megapixels. the sage has worst at 2.0megapixels and HTC has a 3.2 megapixel camera.

the saga has two browsers, opera mobile browser and Interet Explorer mobile browser. the other two only have opera mobile browser for internet.

other than that they are pretty similar. the all have windows 6.1 mobile professional operating system, windows media player mobile, WiFi capable, mobile broadband capable, bluetooth capable, and text,pic and video messaging.

aside from that go to the store and see which one feels right in your hand, after all you will be using it everyday.

i would personally get the saga if you dont need a good camera

Edited by nightrunner

Wife has the saga, brother has the omnia and coworker has the HTC. saga has been the most stable of the 3. Brother is a power user and hates the omnia because he says its very slow. I can only go on what I see but of those 3 I would go with the saga just for the stability.

Let me give you my opinion of the Omnia (and all Windows based phones, for that matter). I wouldn't wipe my butt with the manual to that thing. I had one (I was stupid enough to buy it after throwing my previous Windoze phone out of a moving car) and hated it. I was going to do a Youtube review of it where I shot it with my .40, but then my wife reminded me that I had 30 days to trade it in. I traded it on the 29th day for Blackberry.

My complaints:

1 - You have to unlock the phone to attempt to answer a call, unlock it, then unlock it, unlock it to unlock it, and unlock it. Did I mention unlock it? The stupid thing locks itself about every .0000000000001 seconds. It's a bit excessive, in my humble opinion.

2 - It's Windoze based. What more do I have to say? When you first get it, you will get a message confirmation after every single message you send. To get rid of it, you have to download a registry editor program and install it, then add a key to the Windoze registry to tell it not to. It's an annoying message that will get on your nerves.

3 - As with every other Windoze product, it reboots when it feels it's time, whether or not you're on a call, or whatever.

4 - VZ Navigator never worked right on mine. This was the source of many reboots.

If you don't like the hassle of having to do updates, editing the registry, etc, don't get a Windows based phone. Learn from my stupidity. I did it twice, just showing that I don't. I'm not sure why Blackberry isn't on your list, but it should be. They just work. And there are lots of cool apps that you can download for free, like Pandora radio, some games (I like chess), Blackberry Messenger, Trapster (shows where speed traps are), and Facebook, just to name a few.

But if you need to shoot something, a Windows phone would make a great target.

I dunno if any of your choices are touch screens or not. I have a touch screen phone and I freaking hate it. Totally regret going that route, should have got the similar model that was not a touch screen.

Thats the only advice I have for you.

If you don't like the hassle of having to do updates, editing the registry, etc, don't get a Windows based phone. Learn from my stupidity. I did it twice, just showing that I don't. I'm not sure why Blackberry isn't on your list, but it should be. They just work. And there are lots of cool apps that you can download for free, like Pandora radio, some games (I like chess), Blackberry Messenger, Trapster (shows where speed traps are), and Facebook, just to name a few.

But if you need to shoot something, a Windows phone would make a great target.

It's a company phone and these are the only choices the IT department has given me. At least I get to choose from the three rather than here's your new phone.

Looks like the Saga is leading at this point.

I had an HTC that was made for Cingular. I think it was the 8525, now called the tilt. I really liked it. I believe it was windows based. The slide-out keyboard was pretty nice too. Next to my iPhone it was my favorite. Really easy to use.