Need help with carry weapon

Guest cowboy20th

Guest cowboy20th

So my brother and I are taking our permit classes in September, and this has got me thinking about my gun and how I would be carrying it.

I own a ruger P95 with the decock/safety feature. This is a wonderful gun and has never failed me in the 500 rounds I shot through it. I love it.

But it seems bulky to be carrying around. The weapon is top heavy because the slide is steel and the frame is a polymer. Also the slide is rather wide.

I love CZ pistols as well and thought about trying to trade it in for a P07 which seems to be slimmer lighter, and thus more comfortable to carry.

So, should I trade my gun in hopes of a more comfortable one for carry. Since I will be new to carrying can anyone give some opinion on weather the extra width in the slide will really be noticeable. Which position will be easiest to carry for me with such weapon. I am slim 5'10 140lb so a good belt and comfortable rig is a must. thank you everyone for your help.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3pugguy
So my brother and I are taking our permit classes in September, and this has got me thinking about my gun and how I would be carrying it.

I own a ruger P95 with the decock/safety feature. This is a wonderful gun and has never failed me in the 500 rounds I shot through it. I love it.

But it seems bulky to be carrying around. The weapon is top heavy because the slide is steel and the frame is a polymer. Also the slide is rather wide.

I love CZ pistols as well and thought about trying to trade it in for a P07 which seems to be slimmer lighter, and thus more comfortable to carry.

So, should I trade my gun in hopes of a more comfortable one for carry. Since I will be new to carrying can anyone give some opinion on weather the extra width in the slide will really be noticeable. Which position will be easiest to carry for me with such weapon. I am slim 5'10 140lb so a good belt and comfortable rig is a must. thank you everyone for your help.

Carry guns are a very personal choice that depends on budget, caliber you are comfortable with, budget, etc.

CZs get great reviews on here.

I have an even older Ruger, a P89, that I kept because trade in or sale was not worth what it is worth to me to keep a great and reliable gun for home or vehicle.

After a LOT of reading, research, and trying out different makes/models, I went with a Glock19; I like the 9mm but was very close to the G23, as the .40 is highly touted.

Regarding size/thickness - will depend on how carried; the G19 fits well OWB, under an untucked shirt (not a knit polo) or IWB - carry OWB 99.9 percent of the time.

There are also some good reviews/info here on the S&W M&P series and it gets lots of votes for a solid choice at a good price.

I think it is safe to say the biggest issue is try out the ones you are interested in - many on here, including me, would let you try out our guns if your local shop(s) don't have ones for rent/tryout.

Good luck and since you're not taking the class until Sept and then have to wait for the permit, you have time to do a thorough search.

And if you haven't thought of it - use a .22 for practice and to do the shooting part of your class; it will save you $$ on practice ammo. I still use my Buckmark for practice plus it's fun to shoot.

So, should I trade my gun in hopes of a more comfortable one for carry.

Never sell/trade a handgun you really like.

Unless you have 10 or more.

Maybe 20 or more, actually. :D

Buy another. If you can't afford one right now, wait until you can.

- OS

I'm with OhShoot, Keep what you got, and buy when you have the funds. Check out the Firearms Classified section, you might get a good deal with extras like a holster if your patient. mdlave sold me his SR9 and gave me the M-TAC shell for free. Real cool dude.

Guest cowboy20th

thanks for the replies everyone.

my brother has a glock i think it is a 23. It is a good gun, but I like my rear end too much to carry it. :)

I will keep the p95 i guess, it is a really good gun and you guys are right about the trade value, it is pretty low.

i like 9mm which is what my 95 is, practice ammo is still pretty cheap for it, and I already consider myself a good shot, though I am planning on taking a few weapons classes when I get the cash to.

I guess i will start saving my pennies for a cz!

Don't worry, Glocks don't magically discharge like some people would have you believe. Keep your bugger hook off the trigger and you'll be safe. Make sure you get a good holster that covers the trigger guard completely. Also, none of my holsters have a retention strap.

I have a P07 and it is a fantastic gun. You can read my reviews of it as well as my opinion of it as the perfect carry gun IMO. It does have one big drawback ATM, holster selection. Currently only two makers make a holster for it. I'm sure this will change fairly quickly, but it is a consideration. I have also had several G19's and they are fine carry guns as well.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/25100-cz-p07-range-report.html

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/24726-my-perfect-gun.html

• Administrator

1. Carry what works for you best and won't be so uncomfortable that you end up leaving it at home. A big gun left at home isn't as effective as a small gun carried with you.

2. Glocks don't go off by themselves, no matter what you have heard or read.

3. If you like a firearm with a thumb safety but want something smaller and lighter, there are plenty of options. Smith & Wesson makes several of the M&P automatics with thumb safeties, as does Springfield in the XD family, HK with the USP Compact models, etc. You do have options.

4. I don't see any point in having a thumb safety on a striker fired handgun so long as the trigger pull is not ridiculously light. But that's just my opinion and plenty of people disagree. It boils down to preference.

I started out with a Ruger P89 years ago and ditched it as soon as I realized there were more ergonomic handguns of equal or better quality out there for roughly the same amount of money. If trading or selling it allows you some extra cash to put toward a firearm that you will carry more often due to size and weight, then by all means do it.

• Administrator
I have a P07 and it is a fantastic gun. You can read my reviews of it as well as my opinion of it as the perfect carry gun IMO.

I submit that perhaps you should consider it "a perfect carry gun" instead of THE perfect carry gun, given that all of us have evolving criteria for what we consider to be perfect. Not too long ago, you were hot and heavy for the Walther P99A (or whatever it was) and that was going to be the ultimate carry piece also. :)

Not busting your balls, just pointing out that "perfect" changes.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I have a bunch of glocks, including my G36 EDC. It's still entertaining to make fun of them. It's like saying that Chuck Norris is a fairy.

Guest db99wj

There is a nice XD subcompact 9mm and a Glock 19 in the firearm classified section.

I would love to be able to get one of those two right now, would really like to have a Glock 26. But no moneys, so I will keep on carrying the XD 40.

Guest cowboy20th

yea i know about glocks, like i said, they are good guns, but i still like to rag on them.

I really don't know what it is about the p07. I held it once about four months ago and haven't been able to get it out of my head since. It just felt perfect. holster options are a drawback but after reading about some issues with it on the cz forum, I am really unsure. They have been talking about a bulge on the frame near the trigger bar spring i believe. So I am still on the fence, maybe if a find a good deal it will lean me another way.

Guest jdavis

The perfect gun fits your budget, your hand, and your side. There are a lot of quality guns on the market try out as many as you can to find that perfect fit and try some outside of your budget, you never know a man might have to settle for something less than perfect to get exactly what he wants, a few extra dollars spent on a handgun you absolutely love is money well spent.

Guest FiddleDog

You will always regret parting with a gun you like...even if it's for something you like more. Just sayin. I got to see that CZ in person this weekend. I was very impressed, and priced well. It may be next on the list for me, too.

I submit that perhaps you should consider it "a perfect carry gun" instead of THE perfect carry gun, given that all of us have evolving criteria for what we consider to be perfect. Not too long ago, you were hot and heavy for the Walther P99A (or whatever it was) and that was going to be the ultimate carry piece also. ;)

Not busting your balls, just pointing out that "perfect" changes.

Kinda like a guy I know who can't decide between 1911's, M&P's of multiple flavors, and his Glock 19? ;) Just messing with you and yes, I know I'm gun fickle. The p99 was before I learned some things that changed what I look for in a trigger.

yea i know about glocks, like i said, they are good guns, but i still like to rag on them.

I really don't know what it is about the p07. I held it once about four months ago and haven't been able to get it out of my head since. It just felt perfect. holster options are a drawback but after reading about some issues with it on the cz forum, I am really unsure. They have been talking about a bulge on the frame near the trigger bar spring i believe. So I am still on the fence, maybe if a find a good deal it will lean me another way.

I just sent mine back with the "bulge". It doesn't change my feelings for the gun unless they find a major flaw. It still worked. I just wanted to make sure since it is a new platform.

• Administrator
touche! I wish I did.:clap:

But to be honest, I know exactly what you mean about the never-ending and evolving quest for what seems perfect. I do waffle back and forth between the Glock 19 (for some things) and one of the two M&Ps and the 1911. Realizing that this flies in the face of the sound logic that states you should fear the man who owns one gun because he probably knows how to use it, I love me some versatility. :woohoo:

The downside to this is, I can no longer make fun of my wife for owning a lot of shoes. :)

• Administrator
I keep my holster collection hidden in a bag in the garage and never mention my wife's shoes. :D

I've got a clear plastic tote box full of holsters that I still use occasionally. My good leather stays in the safe along with my firearms, though. I'd be almost as sad if something happened to any of my Milt Sparks VM2's as I would be if something happened to a gun.