HCP juvenile record

Guest 153blue

Guest 153blue

hey guys, a buddy is taking a hcp class with me, but was unsure if he would get denied for his permit. he got an assault charge when he was 17. would his juvenile record keep him from getting his hcp?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I think he'll be ok, unless it was a felony and he served time:

Applicants shall not have been convicted of any felony offense punishable for a term exceeding one (1) year

In Illinois at 17 you are an adult as far as criminal matters; you go to the big boy’s jail.

Is that a different age in Tennessee?

As long as it was really assault and not domestic violence I wouldn’t think it would stop him, but it’s hard to tell. Looking through the list of those turned down for a permit, some misdemeanors show up.

In Illinois at 17 you are an adult as far as criminal matters; you go to the big boy’s jail.

Is that a different age in Tennessee?

As long as it was really assault and not domestic violence I wouldn’t think it would stop him, but it’s hard to tell. Looking through the list of those turned down for a permit, some misdemeanors show up.

Other than domestic violence or DUIs, the only reason a misdemeanor should prevent you from getting a HCP is because you're currently under some form of supervision from the court (ie probation).

Guest 153blue

i spoke with my friend today, he said his charges were felonies. he went to get some legal advise about it and was told that it shouldn't show up unless the crime was serious enough to be tried as an adult, which he wasn't. he was also told expungement wasn't possible. he paid for a tbi background check and it came back clear with no criminal history. are tbi bg checks always accurate? his name is not a common name either, but he did tell me it asked for his SSN and he didn't enter that in. i doubt that would matter since it probably asks for address and other info to verify the person. he seems really stressed about all of this.

TBI checks are fairly accurate for incidents in TN but won't show juvenile records to the public, even if you are the person requesting.

DOS makes 3 checks, TBI, FBI and Local.. Yes DOS can look at a juvenile record if not expunged with regards to BG checks

What he needs to do is submit finger prints to the FBI.

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Criminal Justice Information Services Division - FBI Identification Record Request It takes awhile but would answer any doubt. Or risk the 115$

If they were violent felonies, (which any felony assault is a violent felony in TN) then there is a good chance FBI has it on file, and could possibly hinder him..

No where does it say in the HCP guidelines that a conviction of a felony as an adult. Just says:

"Applicants shall not have been convicted of any felony offense punishable for a term exceeding one (1) year"

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to clarify..

Good Luck

I used to work as a DVD teacher in a youth facility. As it was explained to me, for juveniles the written records are archived (hard Copy) but are tagged on computer record and have very very limited visibility. I don't believe his records are even visible to the DOS.