I need a new rifle! Advice sought...

Volphin

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new rifle. But I can't decide what to purchase.

Maybe you all can help. Here's what I had in mind

Option 1: AR10A2, Armalite with black furnitire, flat top

Option 2: AR10A2, Armalite with black furnitire, H bar

Option 3: AR15, Colt, NATO

Option 4: AR15 Bushmaster, NATO

Option 5: Suggestion Box... lol

Have a great day everyone! :(

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all of the above...

I like target shooting at 125 yds to 200 yds. I mostly use iron sights but am thinking scope as my eyes sorta get, ahem... OLDER.

I'll never turn down a good tingle from a girl or a gun. :(

I would suggest building a nice AR lower with the parts of your choosing, then you can have several different uppers in various calibers if you wish. You can have a flat top scoped with a heavy barrel, a shorty with a quick sight or open sights, 6.8SPC, 223, 9mm or even 7.62x39. Plus, the ammo cost for 5.56 is a lot less than 7.62x51/308 Winchester.

A nice AK and forget about all the accoutrement! :koolaid:

If your stuck on an AR I'd go with a 6.8 variety. It's perfect for your range, has the same ballistics as the .308 (within 500 yrds),land you can actually hunt more game with it than the 5.56. Just an all round more versatile caliber.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I would say AR-15 with a 5.56 and a 6.8 upper. Then get a 22 conversion for the 5.56 upper. You can go all the way from plink to snipe. I still want a .308 though.

Guest gcrookston
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new rifle. But I can't decide what to purchase.

Maybe you all can help. Here's what I had in mind

Option 1: AR10A2, Armalite with black furnitire, flat top

Option 2: AR10A2, Armalite with black furnitire, H bar

Option 3: AR15, Colt, NATO

Option 4: AR15 Bushmaster, NATO

Option 5: Suggestion Box... lol

Have a great day everyone! :biglol:

What do you want to do with it?:D

My Suggestion is first buy an AR15 receiver and an AR10 receiver. They are both reasonably cheap and available. Won't take up much space and THEN you can take your time while you drool over your computer screen looking at all your different options. I have a 5.56 upper & a ciener 22LR conversion for it. But I rarely shoot farther than 50 yards. Enjoy your possibilities!

Build your own AR, I would do a 5.56. This way you can build it exactly the way you want it. You wont have to take stuff off you dont like and replace them whit what you do. Just build it how you want it from the ground up. Plus in the end you wont have a pile of parts just collecting dust.

-Jason G

A nice AK and forget about all the accoutrement! ;)

If your stuck on an AR I'd go with a 6.8 variety. It's perfect for your range, has the same ballistics as the .308 (within 500 yrds),land you can actually hunt more game with it than the 5.56. Just an all round more versatile caliber.

6.8 eh? Good luck feeding it. I haven't seen any ammo that I would call affordable for it. Any reloading components I've seen are high too. Get a Hero Gear AR-15 and be done with it!

6.8 eh? Good luck feeding it. I haven't seen any ammo that I would call affordable for it. Any reloading components I've seen are high too. Get a Hero Gear AR-15 and be done with it!

SSA is releasing a "plinking" 90g round that is $13 per 20. It's not that far off 5.56 these days. Reloading cost are the same as any other round plus you have the benefit of using widely available .270 bullets. Good luck finding 5.56 these days as well!:woohoo:

SSA is releasing a "plinking" 90g round that is $13 per 20. It's not that far off 5.56 these days. Reloading cost are the same as any other round plus you have the benefit of using widely available .270 bullets. Good luck finding 5.56 these days as well!:woohoo:

I just paid $78 for 200rds of XM193 locally on Saturday. Palmetto State Armory has Privi M193 for $359/k. There's also plenty of .223 to be had for $259/k.

I don't know much about reloading, but when I looked for .277 caliber bullets I couldn't find anything cheap enough to make reloading worthwhile. I wanted a 6.8 for deer hunting, but after looking at ammo I've decided .223 will work just fine.

Guest GunTroll

I don't know much about reloading, but when I looked for .277 caliber bullets I couldn't find anything cheap enough to make reloading worthwhile. I wanted a 6.8 for deer hunting, but after looking at ammo I've decided .223 will work just fine.

Worthwhile.....? I beg to differ. There is more to gain out of reloading than just cost savings. You make the round to like your gun and throw out factory specs. I first got into reloading to save the money but soon learned that average firearms of mine became great accurate guns due to my reloads. 6.8 trumps .223 in versatility any day.

Thanks for the replies all. I have a nice milled Bulgarian AK... she comes out on special occasions. :) Is building an AR a better way to go that an outright purchase?

Depends on what you want and plan to do with it. If you just want a basic M4 then there really isnt much price difference between building it yourself or getting one "off the shelf". AR prices are coming back down dramatically so the savings on building your own arent what they used to be unless you just buy super cheapo parts....which with an AR i wouldnt recommend...this isnt an AK after all ;)

Thanks for the replies all. I have a nice milled Bulgarian AK... she comes out on special occasions. :) Is building an AR a better way to go that an outright purchase?

A milled bulgy is a very nice AK!;) Building an AR is great for leaning about the gun and the DIY satisfaction. Plus, folks are impressed when you say, "I built it myself!" ;) As Magic said, price wise there isn't a whole lot of difference. The main difference is you can get exactly what you want. In that case it is a little cheaper..... sometimes.

As many have mentioned, get yourselve a good lower and build your own. Once you are done with that(and mean while do some research) go buy yourself a really good upper, DGI works just fine, don't buy into the whole gas piston hopla. Depending on what you want to do choose the caliber accordingly. 5.56 works just fie for target shooting up to 500 yard with 20 bbl. If you want to go with an oddball round, forget 6.8 it is crap and ammo is expensive and rarely available. 6.5 of other hand is a much better round all around, ammo is cheaper than 308 and you can find ammo, olus Wolf gold line has 6.5 going for about $15 for a box.

As many have mentioned, get yourselve a good lower and build your own. Once you are done with that(and mean while do some research) go buy yourself a really good upper, DGI works just fine, don't buy into the whole gas piston hopla. Depending on what you want to do choose the caliber accordingly. 5.56 works just fie for target shooting up to 500 yard with 20 bbl. If you want to go with an oddball round, forget 6.8 it is crap and ammo is expensive and rarely available. 6.5 of other hand is a much better round all around, ammo is cheaper than 308 and you can find ammo, olus Wolf gold line has 6.5 going for about $15 for a box.

Is there a 7.62 x 39 config for the AR? I have alot of that ammo...

yes there is a 7.62x 39 upper for AR, also there is a 5.45x39. they all use the same lower(5.56, 223, 6.8spc, 6.5grendell, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9mm with adaptor, ...)

Edited by mk19