My H&R 676 .22 revolver

mousegunner

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Britestar

I have an old H&R 9 shot 22, I will have to ck the date code but I know it is at least 50 years old. My mom gave it to me when my dad died. It is the cheapest gun I own but it has a lot of sentimental value. Over my lifetime of shooting it, the gun never once failed in any way. It has worked perfect and still does. The design is simplistic and there is not alot to screw up. Old, yes still looks near new in fact the finish work on it is better than new ones I have seen in stores but it is a dependable firearm, and despite appearances and costs that is what we all need the most in a time of crises, dependability. Just my two cents worth. I appreciate your post on the gun.

I used to think 22LR pistols were useless. 14 years later I have matured a little, and ammo prices have matured alot. You have the nicest H&R 22LR revolver I have ever seen. I have shot two others and they were both accurate and fun to shoot. One was similar to yours but SAO with groove rear sight. The other was DA/SA but we had to remove cylinder to load/unload. To be honest I was shocked both times when my shooting buddies put these pistols on the table. Both were owned by "older" gentleman who I thought only owned fine quality arms. I had been too embarassed to bring my JC higgins model 29 to shoot with either of them because it looks CHEAP. and all of a sudden these guys have guns that look CHEAP. Long story short, a H&R ain't a Colt Woodsman, but they are both fun to shoot. And they aren't cheap, just simple. Thanks for your write up and the info you post about Prentice Cooper :D

By the way, anyone, anyone, Beuller? What is the name of the big flat part of the frame out of which sticks the pawl and the firing pin?

I could be wrong, but I don't think it has a name, since it's not a removable part but just part of the frame itself.

Btw, love that gun, inquired about it myself.

I wouldn't have even thought about it, but I have old HR 922 that was Dad's.

Best I remember from a forum reference I found, it's from the early 50's. Still shoots great.

For Kevo: this is a nine shot removable cylinder model.

HR.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Great Review. Enjoy it. I like these old H&R revolvers. I have several. I'll probably regret ever selling this one along with the dozens of others in the past but at least it found it's way to a great new owner who will take excellent care of it.

B.

Thanks for the pic OhShoot, that is like the one I have recently enjoyed shooting. The first one I shot was a model 660 or very similar. I may even have the courage to publicly post a write up on my CHEAP 22 plinkers when I become more computer and forum savvy. :)