LEO Issued Sidearms??

Guest WTDeBerry

Guest WTDeBerry

I was just curious where I could find a list of primary duty/off-duty weapons that are issued to various law enforcement agencies. I am curious what Federal Agencies like the FBI, State Agencies like the TBI and THP, and Local Agencies (County, City, Etc.) carry.

Thanks in Advance,

WTDeBerry

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how old/outdated/accurate this list is, but here's a link:

Agency Issue (Very Long) - Real Police: Law Enforcement,Police Officer,Criminal Justice,Background Checks website...

Here's a few that I am fairly confident about:

Murfreesboro PD issues the GLOCK Model 22 chambered in .40 S&W - I believe Metro Nashville PD issues the same handgun.

Rutherford County Sheriff issues the SIG P229R chambered in .40 S&W

Tennessee Highway Patrol issues the GLOCK Model 31 chambered in .357 SIG

Edited by BigPoppa
Guest WTDeBerry

Agency Issue (Very Long) - Real Police: Law Enforcement,Police Officer,Criminal Justice,Background Checks website...

Murfreesboro PD issues the GLOCK Model 22 chambered in .40 S&W - I believe Metro Nashville PD issues the same handgun.

RIGHT ON!! That is exactly what I was hoping to find!! Good man, BigPoppa, good man...

Guest canynracer

Memphis PD = Sig 229 DAO .40

Shelby County = Sig 226 DAO .40

Germantown = HK USP .40

Bartlett = .357 sig (forgot the maker, but thats def the caliber)

Dover PD issues the S&W M&P 40

Mongomery County issues the Sig229 40

Stewart County issues the Glock 22 40

We (Cumberland City PD) also issue Glocks. And we all have holes in our arses! Whether or not the two issues are related - admin won't comment.:koolaid:

Dover PD issues the S&W M&P 40

Mongomery County issues the Sig229 40

Stewart County issues the Glock 22 40

We (Cumberland City PD) also issue Glocks. And we all have holes in our arses! Whether or not the two issues are related - admin won't comment.:)

Apparently others have noticed a connection between Glock and AD. Not in very good company according to this:

http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/Firearms.pdf

Not sure about FBI, but I remember reading at one point that the DEA issues the G17, G19, G22, and G23. I don't know if the 9mm/.40S&W decision is up to the agent or not, but hear the compact/full size decision is.

Guest Swamprunner
Apparently others have noticed a connection between Glock and AD. Not in very good company according to this:

http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/Firearms.pdf

First of all, this organization would have you wearing full body armor while riding a motorcycle, if they couldn't get bikes banned to begin with. These folks are out there, with Pluto.

They don't like chain saws, either. But we gotta have houses, firewood, etc.

The paper mentions the lack of a safety, or "turning the gun off". Meh. Idiots.

You are a fool if you rely upon a "safety' to make a firearm safe. NEVER have one in the pipe, unless you are on duty, or in a potential combat situation. My :).

First of all, this organization would have you wearing full body armor while riding a motorcycle, if they couldn't get bikes banned to begin with. These folks are out there, with Pluto.

They don't like chain saws, either. But we gotta have houses, firewood, etc.

The paper mentions the lack of a safety, or "turning the gun off". Meh. Idiots.

You are a fool if you rely upon a "safety' to make a firearm safe. NEVER have one in the pipe, unless you are on duty, or in a potential combat situation. My :).

But I always wear full body armor when riding. Not really, I just had seen this a couple of weeks ago and got a chuckle out of it. Thought it fit with the holes in the arses comment. It was meant to make you smile, not fire you up. I'm suspicious of any organization that has "fed" in their name. :)

Guest Britestar

Standard issue for the DEA is Bereta 92 they can choose other guns such as glock and S&W and only in certain calibers such as 9mm as well as 38 spec and 40 cal. Also the type and brand of ammo has to be approved by the agency. This applies to personal guns they may carry off duty as well. For example if a special agent has a hide away back it cannot be any other caliber or round other than they approve. You shoot someone with a 22 you probably lose your job.

Saw this on The Firing Line a while back. I have no idea how up to date, or correct for that matter this list is, but I thought I'd post it here anyway:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) - Agent

Standard handgun is the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228. Longarms include the 9mm H&K MP5A4SF semi-automatic carbine and the 9mm H&K MP5A5 submachine gun.

US Coast Guard - Coast Guard Officer

The Coast Guard switched from the military standard 9mm Beretta M9 (Model 92F) to the 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 pistol sometime in the late 1980s. Other small arms include the 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifle and 12-gauge Mossberg M590 MARINER shotgun.

US Customs Service - Enforcement Branch

The officers from the Enforcement Branch pack 9mm S&W Model 6906 pistols, 9mm MP5A5 burst-fire carbines, 5.56mm Steyr AUG A1 burst-fire rifles, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotguns. The .38 Special S&W Model 60 CHIEF'S SPECIAL revolver is issued as back-up weapon.

US Department of Agriculture

Adopted the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228 pistol.

US Department of Energy - Nuclear Security Officer

These officers carry 9mm Glock 17 pistols, and a 5.56mm Colt CAR-15A2 Model 6530 semi-automatic carbine or 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotgun.

DEA - Agent

The DEA issues the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228 pistol, 9mm Colt CAR-15 Model 635 submachine gun, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifle and 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotgun.

Federal Sky Marshals

Issue sidearm is the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228

FBI - Special Agent

The FBI issued .38 Special S&W Model 13 revolvers until the late 1980s. Within certain limits, agents were allowed to purchase their own semi-automatic handguns. This situation was finally seen as no longer adequate, and some 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 and 9mm S&W Model 5946 pistols were purchased in 1988. After the infamous Miami Shootout, demand for a 10mm Auto weapon arose. In 1991, the Bureau got 12,000 copies of the 10mm Auto S&W Model 1076, which was especially designed for the FBI. However, the gun turned out to be a complete failure, and it was dropped after only a very short time. In 1993 the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228 became the official sidearm of the FBI. It in turn was replaced as the issue weapon by the .40 Glock 22 and 23 pistols in the late 1990s. The .40 Glock 27 was authorised as off-duty/back-up gun. Note that the new guns are issued to NEW classes of agents. Older agents are allowed to stick to the guns they already have. Since 1989, the FBI has issued 9mm H&K MP5A4SF semi-automatic carbines. This is identical to the MP5A4 submachine gun, except for the fact that it is NOT capable of auto-fire. The shotgun is the Scattergun Technologies TACTICAL RESPONSE Model 90102 FBI, a variant of the 12-gauge Remington Model 870P.

FBI - Regional SWAT

These agents are trained by the HRT, and in the end similarily equipped. Most use a customised .45ACP Colt M1911A1 pistol, as well as 9mm H&K MP5A2, MP5A3 and MP5SD3 submachine guns, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifles, 7.62mm Remington M40A1 sniper rifles, .50BMG McMillan Model 87 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Scattergun Technologies TACTICAL RESPONSE Model 90102 FBI shotguns.

FBI - HRT

For some time, the HRT used both 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 pistols and .45ACP LeBaer BUREAU pistols built on Para-Ordnance frames. But in late 1998, it adopted the .45ACP Springfield BUREAU Model, a heavily customised M1911A1. This is reported to be extremely accurate, while still as reliable as all the M1911A1s. The HRT also uses the 9mm H&K MP5SD5 submachine gun, 10mm Auto H&K MP5/10A3 submachine gun, 5.56mm H&K HK33A2 assault rifle, 7.62mm H&K PSG1 sniper rifle, 7.62mm Remington M40A1 sniper rifle, .50BMG Barrett M82A1 sniper rifle and 12-gauge Scattergun Technologies TACTICAL RESPONSE Model 90102 FBI shotgun.

INS/Border Patrol - Special Agent

The issue sidearm is the .40S&W Beretta Model 96D BRIGADIER. Also carried are the 5.56mm Ruger MINI-14 semi-automatic rifle and the 12-gauge Scattergun Technologies TACTICAL RESPONSE Model 90121 BORDER PATROL shotgun, a modified Remington Model 870P.

IRS - Special Agent

These carry 9mm SIG-Sauer P228 pistols.

US Marshals Service - Agent

The issue sidearm is the 9mm Glock 19.

US Marshals Service - SOG

These guys pack 9mm Glock 19, 9mm Beretta Model 92F pistols or .45ACP S&W Model 645 pistols, 9mm Colt CAR-15 Model 635 submachine guns, 5.56mm Colt CAR-15A2 Model 723 assault carbines, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifles, 7.62mm Remington M24 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Ithaca Model 37 shotguns.

NASA Security (at the JFK Space Center)

Armed with 9mm Glock 17 pistols and 9mm H&K MP5A3 submachine guns.

National Park Service

Issue sidearm is the 9mm H&K P7M13 pistol. Also carried is the 5.56mm Ruger MINI-14 semi-automatic rifle. A shotgun is doubtless also in service.

US Naval Investigative Service (NIS) Special Agent

The standard weapon used to be the .357 Magnum Ruger GS-32N revolver, but is now the 9mm SIG-Sauer M11 (P228). Other weapons include the 9mm IMI UZI and MINI-UZI submachine guns, the 5.56mm Colt M16A1 assault rifle and 12-gauge Mossberg M590 MARINER shotgun.

Secret Service

Among the weapons issued are the .38 Special S&W Model 10 and S&W Model 19 revolvers, although the new official sidearm is the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228. Other weapons include the 9mm IMI UZI submachine gun, 5.56mm Colt M16A1 assault rifle, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifle, 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotgun and the .50BMG McMillan Model 87R sniper rifle.

Local Police Sidearms

Anchorage PD

Issue sidearm is the .45ACP Glock 21.

Honolulu PD

The officers on the beat have 9mm S&W Model 5906 pistols, plus 12-gauge Benelli M3 SUPER 90 shotguns in the cars.

Kansas City PD - Tactical Response Team

The TRT members pack .40S&W S&W Model 4026 pistols, 9mm H&K MP5A5SF semi-automatic carbines, 5.56mm H&K HK93A2 semi-automatic rifles, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Benelli M1 SUPER 90 shotguns.

LAPD - SWAT

They have Kimber TLE/II .45ACP Colt M1911A1 pistols, 9mm H&K MP5A5 submachine guns, 5.56mm CAR-15A2 (Model 723) assault carbines, 5.56mm H&K HK33K assault carbines, 7.62mm H&K PSG1 sniper rifles, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Benelli M1 SUPER 90 shotguns.

NYPD - Emergency Service Unit

The ESU have 9mm Glock 19 or 9mm Beretta Model 92D pistols, 9mm MP5A5N submachine guns, 5.56mm Ruger AC-556GF assault rifles, 7.62mm Remington M24 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Ithaca Model 37 shotguns.

Texas Department for Public Safety - The Texas Rangers

The Rangers have .357SIG SIG-Sauer P229 pistols, 5.56mm Ruger MINI-14 carbines and 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotguns

Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police - Emergency Response Team

Issue the 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 pistol, 9mm Colt CAR-15 Model 635 submachine gun, 9mm IMI UZI submachine gun, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifle, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifle and 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotgun.

S&W M&P for CO SP, IA SP, NM SP, NH SP

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/ColoradoStatePatrolOrder.pdf

Smith & Wesson Receives Order from Colorado State Patrol Contract Represents Fourth State Police Department Order for M&P Pistols

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (January 28, 2008) --- Smith & Wesson Corp., announced today that it has received an order from the Colorado State Patrol for 850 of the company's Military & Police (M&P) Series of advanced-design polymer pistols. The Smith & Wesson M&P40, chambered in .40 S&W, will be issued to each officer of the Colorado State Patrol to replace early-model Smith & Wesson pistols that have served as the primary duty firearms for the department.

Officials at the Colorado State Patrol indicated that the M&P pistol incorporated several key features including enhanced ergonomics and ambidextrous controls that are valuable for their officers. The department added that the polymer pistol's interchangeable grip sizes, ease of maintenance and ability to disassemble the firearm without pressing the trigger were all primary factors in their decision-making process. The M&P40 was selected after an extensive testing and evaluation process, which included various competitors. The M&P40 pistols will replace the department's existing Smith & Wesson Model 4006 pistols.

The contract with Colorado State Patrol represents the fourth state police department order that Smith & Wesson has received for the M&P pistols. Other full-conversion state police departments that have selected the M&P pistol for use in duty include the Iowa State Patrol, the New Mexico State Police and New Hampshire State Police. Currently, the New Mexico State Police issues four categories of Smith & Wesson products to its officers. Along with the newly acquired M&P357 pistols, the department also issues Smith & Wesson M&P15 rifles, Model 637 backup revolvers, and Smith & Wesson handcuffs. The New Hampshire State Police and Highway Patrol divisions currently issue the M&P45 pistols to their officers while the Iowa State Patrol selected the .40 S&W caliber polymer pistols.

Leland Nichols, President and Chief Operating Officer of Smith & Wesson Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation, said, "We are extremely pleased with the continued success that the M&P pistol has achieved in police departments across the nation. Contracts from agencies such as the Colorado State Patrol allow other departments within the state the ability to access their testing and evaluation results, saving those smaller agencies both time and expense by streamlining their own selection process. Smith & Wesson will continue to support the professional law enforcement community with new product additions to the M&P line and we especially look forward to continuing our partnership with the Colorado State Patrol."

The M&P pistol features a Zytel® polymer frame reinforced with a rigid stainless steel chassis and a through-hardened black Melonite® finished stainless steel barrel and slide for durability; a passive trigger safety to prevent the pistol from firing if dropped; and a sear release lever that eliminates the need to press the trigger in order to disassemble the firearm. A loaded chamber indicator is located on top of the slide. The firearm also features an ambidextrous slide stop and a reversible magazine release, as well as an enlarged trigger guard designed to accommodate gloves. The M&P40 has a 15 + 1 capacity and the Smith & Wesson lifetime service policy is standard with each pistol. The M&P pistol series is available in 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG, and .45ACP calibers. Compact versions of the M&P pistol are also available for concealed carry and back-up use.

Guest Todd@CIS
Standard issue for the DEA is Bereta 92

Where are you getting this info?

I only ask because it's wrong.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Todd@CIS
NEVER have one in the pipe, unless you are on duty, or in a potential combat situation. My :).

Just to clarify, you would tell someone with a HCP to carry with an empty chamber?

Guest Todd@CIS

Someone told me Smyrna PD issues...

Glock 22/23 to Patrol (Officer choice)

Glock 27 to Defectives

Springfield XD45 to SWAT

Issued shotgun is the Benelli Nova.

Issued carbine is a 16" Colt or Bushmaster.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Swamprunner
Just to clarify, you would tell someone with a HCP to carry with an empty chamber?

Yup. What one learns in the service, kinda sticks with 'em. I've carried a side arm since I was 18, and I still have all of my fingers/toes/appendages, etc. Just me, this ain't the wild West, and I ain't Wyatt Earp. Think, is the .5 second advantage worth a chance of an accident, especially with a Glock? It's a fine weapon, but even with a "safety" it's just not worth it. Again, my $0.02.

I didn't get this old by not calculating risks. BTW, none of my kids carry with one in the chamber. My Brothers (all three) do not carry one in the chamber off duty either.

Go ahead, call me a wimp. But at least I still have all of my parts.

Guest HexHead
Yup. What one learns in the service, kinda sticks with 'em. I've carried a side arm since I was 18, and I still have all of my fingers/toes/appendages, etc. Just me, this ain't the wild West, and I ain't Wyatt Earp. Think, is the .5 second advantage worth a chance of an accident, especially with a Glock? It's a fine weapon, but even with a "safety" it's just not worth it. Again, my $0.02.

I didn't get this old by not calculating risks. BTW, none of my kids carry with one in the chamber. My Brothers (all three) do not carry one in the chamber off duty either.

Would you carry an empty revolver then? :ugh:

Guest Todd@CIS

Nope. I wouldn't do that.

We just very much disagree.

BTW, back in my military days (USAF) we always carried with a chambered round.

Edited by Todd@CIS

NEVER have one in the pipe, unless you are on duty, or in a potential combat situation. My :ugh:.

What about shopping at the grocery, running to walmart, playing with my kid at the park or going to taco bell for a snack?