Mossberg Maverick 88 problems

Well I took the 12ga Maverick 88 I recently purchased used out for a shoot yesterday. This was the frist time I have got to shoot it, everything actioned thru really good when I was takeing my 3in 00 buck out to load some 2 3/4 shells my dad had gave me. Everything loaded fine, actioned one into the chamber and it shot with out any problems, actioned fine with the 2nd shell going in, but after I shot it the slide locked up and wouldnt action. It took me grabbin the slide with both hands to get the 2nd shell to kick out. 3rd and 4th were fine, but the 5th shell wouldnt fire so I kicked the shell out thinking it was my shells. I loaded the 5th shell that didnt fire the 1st time back in along with 4 new shells straight from the box. 1st shot same thing slide locked up. The next 2 were fine but on the 4th (one of my new shells) no fire, I pulled the slide back some to get a look at the shell pulled it back forward with a good tug and it fired, 5th shell (shell I had reloaded from the 1st round) actioned in fine, fired, but slide got locked up again. If anyone can shed some light on what the prob might be I would really appreciate it. The gun is a Mossberg Maverick 88 has a pistol grip and 6 shell side holster. heres a pic for refference its the one in the middle

just realized I think I put this in the wrong section mods feel free to move if needed

0719092149.jpg

Edited by B18hybridhatch
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen cases where the side saddle screws were either too long or over tightened and caused a blockage or binding in the action.

I bet that is my problem, my dad switched the side saddle out for me while I was at work the other day. I had it on my 500a and he put it on my maverick so I bet he tightened the crap out of it. Ive tried 3 differnt types of ammo with the same results and used all 3 in my 500a which performed without any problems. Im gonna strip it down tonight after work clean it all check everything out on it and proly try it without the saddle on it. Ill keep yall updated on it and thx for the help

mine has done this a couple times in the 200ish rounds i have shot. it was stock brand new out of the box. it wasnt locked up but it too a lot of effort to get the slide to come back. both times where with the winchester value packs of birdshot....hasnt done it with and slugs or buckshot of other brands. i chocked it up to the ammo in my situation anyway. hope this helps.

Take the Tacticool crap off the gun and shoot it clean. I have had a Maverick 88 for over 10 years and have not had one problem with many, many shells through it. If it still does it after taking the goodies off, have a gunsmith look at it.

Well I stripped it down cleaned everything, reassembled it with the side holster to see if it was something with it causing the problem and it wasnt. shot 20 shells thru it with no probs over the weekend so im pretty sure it just needed a good cleaning. thx for all the help and advice :up: