Firefighters were on the scene in Chattanooga

Guest TJones8611

Guest TJones8611

I took a few pics with new camera at the below fire this afternoon. It was 97 degrees on the street 500ft from the building. Couldnt imagine how hot the firefighters were!

Firefighters were on the scene of a commericial structure fire in Chattanooga. They are currently staging on North Orchard Knob for the fire at the River City Plastics INC. building.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjones8611/sets/72157621993280878/show/

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TJones8611

More about the fire... I took the photos with a Canon Xsi

Chattanooga firefighters spent a hot Sunday afternoon battling a two-alarm blaze in East Chattanooga. The 911 Communications Center started receiving frantic calls at 3:20 p.m., reporting thick, black smoke and flames coming from a local business. The Chattanooga Fire Department responded to 2509 N. Orchard Knob Avenue with six fire companies. Seeing the magnitude of the fire and the size of the building, Battalion Chief Winston Shields called for a second alarm response to bring in more firefighters and equipment.

Chattanooga firefighters used three aerial master streams, along with an assortment of deck guns, water monitors and hand-held hoselines. It was already hot and humid outside, but the flames from this fire were intense (see attached photos). The fire had plenty of fuel. The building contained plastics, which are petroleum based, and lots of other combustible materials. When it became clear that they were not going to be able to save the building, Chief Shields ordered the firefighters to switch to a defensive firefighting operation.

The firefighters punched holes in the exterior walls in an effort to get water on the flames. At the time of this release, the intensity of the fire had lessened, but it was still not out. The firefighters are taking periodic breaks, getting in front of misting fans and consuming cold drinks, which have been provided by Chattanooga-Hamilton County Rescue. So far, no injuries have been reported.

Guest BMcCoy

Those are some really good pics TJones.. I imagine they would really appreciate the pics. I can assure you that being in all that gear when it's hot outside, is not very pleasant.

Ben

Yea, those men and women have a brutal job. I was outside, in the shade, wearing a t-shirt, and I was about to die. I couldn't imagine being covered in all that gear so close to the heat from the fire. Can you say heat stroke?

Very nice pictures, by the way.

Yup. Used to a Para/FF, and heart attack secondary to heat stress is 2nd only to motor vehicle collisions as the cause of FF deaths on duty.

I took a few pics with new camera at the below fire this afternoon. It was 97 degrees on the street 500ft from the building. Couldnt imagine how hot the firefighters were!

Firefighters were on the scene of a commericial structure fire in Chattanooga. They are currently staging on North Orchard Knob for the fire at the River City Plastics INC. building.

River City Plastics Fire

GREAT PIC's, The gear does get hot but you get used to it (after 20+ yrs).I tell the new guys hiring on that you can't get rich but you'll always have a job.Did not mean to hijack...