Specialty tools for AR building

I know I’ve seen this somewhere before, but I can’t find it.

I’m a Toolmaker so I have all the standard stuff like a million different screw drivers, punches, hammers, vises, etc.

I’m wondering about the tools I need to order, stuff I can’t go out and buy locally. Do I need special barrel wrenches, sight tools, gas block tools, metric crescent wrenches… ??? Or just anything in general I need to order.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5557/Product/AR_15_MULTI_TOOL

This tool will let you do just about everything you need (other than standard tools and punches) to build an AR.

Also - this is one of the best threads on how to assemble an AR

Vise-grips are probably the most helpful for the mag release pin and for the trigger guard pin. Also a 1/4" clevis pin to install the pivot pin (Go about 10 posts down).

You may want to get an action block for your bench-vise but you can cut a poly cutting board up and basically get the same effect.(look 5 down).

I built a Del-Ton complete parts kit without any special tools. Since then I have purchased a cheap $6 castle nut wrench because my strip of leather and a pipe wrench didn"t tighten it down enough. Even though I assembled the lower mostly in my lap, it was a pain in the ARse. I do plan on getting a barrel wrench, and the tool that keeps you from crawling around the dining room floor looking for a tiny piece of metal at 1AM on a work night. If you don't buy any special tools you should video it so you can laugh at yourself later. Enjoy it, it's only your first time once:)

Guest SMZRU275

I've only use two specialy tools in building my AR.

A castle nut wrench - $5 from MidwayUSA

and a vise block, just to make things simpler.

6560_1209374798906_1364790810_608376_3376044_n.jpg

Mind you I only had to assemble the lower, my upper come complete.