Rock Island Armory

Guest benchpresspower

Guest benchpresspower

Ok, so I'm getting that "itch" for a new gun AGAIN. Well I did at one time have a Taurus PT1911. Had issues with it, traded it off, blah blah blah. I've always liked the 1911 and am now looking into a Rock Island Armory 1911A1. Cannot afford a higher end such as a Kimber but I've heard from various folks that the RIA is a good gun. Anyone on here have experience with a RIA 1911 and if so how would you rate it in comparison with a Colt or Kimber, etc.?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the RIA Tactical two-tone and have been really pleased with it for the price.

I have a Kimber pro-carry that is worth every bit what I paid for it and so is the RIA.

Mine did take around 500 rounds to break it in and get the feed ramp "polished" if you will. It does feed better with Wilson and Kim-Pro mags, than it does regular old mags. When it comes to hollow points mine does not like my Hornady Tap alot, but it will chew up a more round nosed hollow point all day.

The are a good gun for the money and are fun to work on. I know several people that have them and none have had any major issues.

Guest blackbeltchick

I have a RIA M1911 A1 Compact and I love it! It's accurate, reliable and I carry it every where I go. My husband liked it so much, a couple of weeks after shooting it, he went out and got one! :usa:

I also have the RIA .45 compact and really luv it except for the sites with my bad eye so it's at the gunsmith getting new sites and should be done the week, I really been missing it so hopefully it will be back home soon!!! Highly recommend it!!! I seen a stainless and black today at the gun show and almost bought it, $419 COOP

Do it.......I bought a RIA Compact Tactical last month and have been putting it through the paces and have had zero problems or complaints. It is an excellent budget 1911 that I am not afraid to use. Bellshire Hardware has them in stock for an excellent price if you are in the Nashville area.

Yes RIAs are great, mine is my avatar, a great pistol for under 400.00 and you can add some custom parts and make it your own for less than a out of the box over priced name brand, and will shoot better than an over priced "name" brand. Ive seen them for 369.00 Gun source has them now for 391.00. good luck.

:cool:IMHO, Metalhead has a good point. I did some trading last year and acquired a Springfield Lightweight Loaded Champion Operator (isn't that a mouthfull of a name) and have been very pleased with it. The finish is a little rough but it shoots great and is quite accurate for a commander-size gun. It handles jhp and fmj equally well and has fed eveything I put thru it. My personal favorite shooting load is 185 grain fmj and 185jhp for a carry load. Yeah, some will say that is wimpy, but with the aluminum frame, I like the somewhat lighter load.

It's a little higher than the RIA 1911 but well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SureShot308

I say go for it. I don't have any experience with the RAI's, but I have shot about 500 rounds through 2 different Citadel's and they are made by the same company as RAI.

I think that I'm going to pick one up in a couple of weeks as a "mess around" gun - meaning... can leave it in the car, at work, or take it apart and mess with it, and not feel bad about it.

I've read up on them, but does anyone on this forum have anything to say about their reliability? Any feed issues? Eject issues? Would you ever use one as a carry, daily (or at all? :D )

A quick note about Rock Island Armory.

It's a Philippino company that got it's equipment from the original makers of the 1911. It still makes the 1911 to the original specs and has only in the last few years been making them offspec (like the RIA 1911 tactical).

they ARE great weapons and very affordable.

I picked up a RIA M1911A1 Officers model (3.5" Barrel) for a carry pistol. I came with what appears to be a Duracoat coating. The sights are Novak knock offs (Maybe real??) I agreer that the front one is hard to see without some work. I've run 2-300 rounds through the gun so far without a single malfunction. In my hands it shoots better than my Colt Combat Commander and my fullsize colt :). I' have been seaching the internet trying to find some tweeks that I could do and I can't find anything that it really needs other than a set of stocks.