Must inform, concealed carry?

Guest coldblackwind

Guest slothful1
Therefore I assume he will find out that I have an HCP. I also assume that, like me, he doesn't like surprises at work. Of course his surprises could be deadly.

I don't get why telling him "I have an HCP" is not a surprise, but the HCP popping up on the computer is one.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3pugguy
You dont have to, but sadly Barney (cop) usually does not know laws, even regarding open carry, sad but it's Barney!;)

Did a LEO take your lunch money or what, Joe? Jeez...give it a rest.

And what is "open carry law" when TN has HCP, not open or concealed? Enlighten us and the numerous LEOs who post here, please.

Guest 3pugguy
I don't get why telling him "I have an HCP" is not a surprise, but the HCP popping up on the computer is one.

I doubt it will be a big surprise either way, as an HCP cannot (or imo should not) be a high risk for an "incident".

If I get stopped, I will sit still, do what the LEO instructs, keep my mouth shut except to answer when asked, and my hands in plain sight.

Edited by 3pugguy
Guest 3pugguy
There is nothing on a tag check that will indicate if the owner has a HCP, only your DL.

As I'm sure all have noticed your HCP number is the same as you DL number. As far as the state database is considered, they are the same thing as far doing a check. You can not check one with out finding out the status of the other. Most dispatchers do not relay that a person doesn't have one unless that is what they are checking for, but most do say if a person does have a HCP whether the officer asked or not.

With all that being said....still not sure what the LEOs problem was in the case...I mean now some want us to notify that we aren't armed just because we have a HCP?

Anyway...

What he said....

When the LEO goes back to his car to check me out, I have no idea what he can and cannot do. Therefore I assume he will find out that I have an HCP. I also assume that, like me, he doesn't like surprises at work. Of course his surprises could be deadly. I don't want him wondering if I am trying to hide something. At the end of the encounter, I want both of us to go home safe and sound. Lack of information can lead to confusion, confusion can lead to anger and anger can lead to really big problems.

This is just my way of handling a traffic stop. So far it has worked great.

And for the record, I was not armed on one of those stops and not once was I asked if I was armed.

Perhaps simply a typed itinerary of your day, listing all of your licenses, permits and certificates you have, handed over with your DL, HCP, Registration and Insurance card would be easier. Don't forget vaccination records for any animals you have with you at the time.

I mean why not suggest that everyone that doesn't have a HCP state that up front as well?

It's not hiding something that is really none of his business, but at the very least not relevant to the encounter at the time.

If someone wants to volunteer anything and everything they want to during a traffic stop, that is fine with me, but no one should be upset if no more than required information is given.

Still don't see how not informing that you have a HCP when your not even armed is working against the LEO.

I was stopped for the first time in years a few months ago, I was armed and on the motorcycle so the area where I carry (front right pocket) was already visable...didn't inform I was armed, he went back ran my DL, came back with the ticket and nothing was ever said.

Unless and until the law is changed I will make a decision based upon the situation at the time was whether to inform or not.

BUT!!!!....I still can't see how not informing that you are not armed is a problem!!!

Guest coldblackwind
What state, since TN does not have a concealed carry permit?

Or did you perhaps mean your "friend" has an HCP and this was in TN? :)

Yeah, yeah, read back, we went over this already. Someone insulted my typo, I insulted Tennessee pronunciations of numerous words, all is well.

Perhaps simply a typed itinerary of your day, listing all of your licenses, permits and certificates you have, handed over with your DL, HCP, Registration and Insurance card would be easier. Don't forget vaccination records for any animals you have with you at the time.

I mean why not suggest that everyone that doesn't have a HCP state that up front as well?

It's not hiding something that is really none of his business, but at the very least not relevant to the encounter at the time.

If someone wants to volunteer anything and everything they want to during a traffic stop, that is fine with me, but no one should be upset if no more than required information is given.

Still don't see how not informing that you have a HCP when your not even armed is working against the LEO.

I was stopped for the first time in years a few months ago, I was armed and on the motorcycle so the area where I carry (front right pocket) was already visable...didn't inform I was armed, he went back ran my DL, came back with the ticket and nothing was ever said.

Unless and until the law is changed I will make a decision based upon the situation at the time was whether to inform or not.

BUT!!!!....I still can't see how not informing that you are not armed is a problem!!!

Sir....Your papers do not seem to be in order.......

Guest HexHead
1. You are not required to notify the Officer.

2. Common sense should tell you whether it is a good idea or not.

3. There are cops that don’t know the laws.

4. People (including friends) will tell you things that never happened.

All good answers.

Guest HexHead
You don't have to tell them unless they ask...

but if they run tags on a car that belongs to you or if they run your license...

they will find out.

If you are a passenger they may never know

I don't believe it shows up when the run the tags, only when they run the driver's license.

Since everyone is telling a story....

I had a HCP back in 1999 but let it lapse. (My new one is on its way)

I was pulled over in Warren County by a THP. It was about 10:00 at nite and dark. I had my weapon on my left side cross draw, open carry. As I was pulling over I removed my wallet from my pocket. Once I was stopped, turned on the dome light, rolled the window down, placed the wallet on the dash and put my hands on the wheel. When he came to the window I told him good evening. He asked to see my DL. At that point I told him I had a HCP. He ask about the weapon and I told him it was on my belt. He said leave it there wrote my ticket and that was that.

If I had not done what I did and he had seen my weapon it could have gone very poorly.

Guest GlockRule

I've been pulled over four times while carrying (once speeding, once my car died on side of road and I was waiting for a tow, and twice for bulbs out). This is by Nashville Metro. First three times they didn't mention my gun and neither did I. More recently for bulb out, I'm thinking maybe they have something telling them you are a permit holder because the officer asked me where my gun was. I told him and he said ok. My opinion is that officers should assume EVERYONE is armed-so if he/she knows I have a permit that is more info than he knows about most pullovers. I also have all my papers out and ready before they get to the window-so as not to make moves for items they ask for. I also turn on interior lights and usually put both hands out of the window on the sill showing they're empty(well except for my id,etc). I'm not sure what I would do if an officer asked for my gun-I would probably ask if that is necessary and pertains to whatever I was pulled over for-because I AM NOT crazy about either 1)having a gun in my hand around an officer by disarming myself (I don't want to get shot) or 2)having someone else disarm me-high chance of accidental discharge in my opinion. So hopefully I won't be put in that situation. I just think unless there is some reason for the officer to have me out of the car it's just a moot point if I give up my sidearm or not because I could always have another at hand and use it against them if that were my original intent so taking my sidearm serves no purpose except to ease the officer's mind-which he shouldn't ease his mind by taking my sidearm anyway since I could have another.

Edited by GlockRule
Guest GlockRule
I don't believe it shows up when the run the tags, only when they run the driver's license.

When I was pulled over by Nashville metro, the officer immediately came up to my car to tell me about my light out, asked me for my license, ins, reg...then asked me where my gun was and how old I was? (I'm assuming he was trying to figure out if I had been drinking by the age question). He never called in my license to anyone as far as I could tell-so I'm assuming Nashville metro can tell if the car in question is registered to a permit holder.

Guest 3pugguy
Yeah, yeah, read back, we went over this already. Someone insulted my typo, I insulted Tennessee pronunciations of numerous words, all is well.

Having fun with you (why I put a smiley)...it is an interesting and oft discussed topic, though - mention or not on an HCP. Me, I will (as I wrote before) be quiet, sit still, and answer questions related to the stop (or traffic check point).

Guest Muttling

While I agree that the story told by the OP suggests a LEO over-reacting, I also know that traffic stops are one of THE most dangerous things a LEO does and he/she does them daily (in addition to the "accuracy" of stories told on chat forums.)

My approach is to go to great effort to cut the LEOs some extra slack on traffic stops and go overboard to avoid making them feel nervous. They don't know who I am or what I might do, but they do know a lot of cops die on traffic stops.

If a cop wants to bitch me out then let me go for exercising my rights at a traffic stop, oh well. I've had much better try to do much worse.

Guest 270win

I always try to find a side street or well lit parking lot if I am on a road without good shoulders. I have my hands visible with my DL, license, and car registration out before the police come to my car. I have never shown my permit to a police officer in Tennessee, but know that they knew after they ran my DL because they seemed less tense and more kind when they walk back to my car. Their input also determines partly if you can get a ticket dropped or not in some places. Whether or not you have a handgun carry permit shows up when your driving history is pulled.

I've been pulled over four times while carrying (once speeding, once my car died on side of road and I was waiting for a tow, and twice for bulbs out). This is by Nashville Metro. First three times they didn't mention my gun and neither did I. More recently for bulb out, I'm thinking maybe they have something telling them you are a permit holder because the officer asked me where my gun was. I told him and he said ok. My opinion is that officers should assume EVERYONE is armed-so if he/she knows I have a permit that is more info than he knows about most pullovers. I also have all my papers out and ready before they get to the window-so as not to make moves for items they ask for. I also turn on interior lights and usually put both hands out of the window on the sill showing they're empty(well except for my id,etc). I'm not sure what I would do if an officer asked for my gun-I would probably ask if that is necessary and pertains to whatever I was pulled over for-because I AM NOT crazy about either 1)having a gun in my hand around an officer by disarming myself (I don't want to get shot) or 2)having someone else disarm me-high chance of accidental discharge in my opinion. So hopefully I won't be put in that situation. I just think unless there is some reason for the officer to have me out of the car it's just a moot point if I give up my sidearm or not because I could always have another at hand and use it against them if that were my original intent so taking my sidearm serves no purpose except to ease the officer's mind-which he shouldn't ease his mind by taking my sidearm anyway since I could have another.

All very good, the only thing I might not do is be moving around getting stuff before they get to your car. If he sees you reach toward the glove box he doesn't know if you're getting your insurance info or getting a gun or hiding dope. Not saying what you are doing is wrong, just that I would wait till asked for something then explain where it was and move slowly to get it.

Also to clarify...as I have said before in other threads....I would not surprise the officer either. If my weapon was visible or for whatever reason I was going to be searched, I would notify the LEO instead of just letting he see it or find it.

I'm with you on the not rummaging around thing. I had a LEO get mad at me for doing just that. It was in the day time and I was in a bad part of town.

From an LEO's point of view you do not have to notify the officer but it is a good idea if you are carrying at the time to let them know to keep everybody mellow. When an officer has to walk up on a vehicle in the middle of the night they are on high alert anyways and seeing a gun will put them into overdrive. :P