I think I've settled on a Taurus.. 145. Thoughts?

TNTitan

Well, after an exhaustive search for a good EDC gun, I think Ive settled on the Taurus 145. Its the caliber I want and it seems to be the best mix of size, weight, reliability, capacity and value that Ive seen out there. The 3rd gen guns that are out now just get rave reviews from what I can tell. I would really like to handle one, but I called around to a few gun stores in town and they seem to be out. I also considered the XD, G36, and the Kimber Ultra.

I have noticed a few 145's for sale online in the $360 range, which seems great, but I've never purchased a gun online and am not sure of the pitfalls. I guess I would rather purchase one locally if possible, but I'm not sure of the best places to look.

Does anyone have any insight on this particular gun and if so, where did you get yours?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the PT140 Mill Pro 3rd Gen,worked flawlessly,but I didnt.I could'nt put the rounds on paper where I wanted,so I sold it and purchased a Springer XD45C,which works great for me.The Taurus never had malfunction 1 but my accuracy with it was not good.:cheers:

Guest sagebrushjim

:up:Good Choice... This is My Weekend Carry... Hides well in My BiB Overalls or with Jeans and a Outside Shirt... Switch to a KT P11 for Daily Carry ... A little easier to conceal in Dress Type Pants...

PT145002.jpg

Guest beefcakeb0

i bought mine which i carry every day at a show so i cant help you out on that. but i love these guns. and i wouldnt feel like a good guy if i beat up on a colt or kimber. with a lifetime warranty and being light and affordable a pt145 is my best choice. the mil pro even has a rail for an attachment

Guest FiddleDog

The 145 is a fine weapon, and a great choice for an EDC. If you get it. Hit it hard with break free. They do put a ton of grease in it for packing.

Guest oldhack62

My PT145 (3rd generation) survived just two range trips. Not only didn't I care of the Heinie sights, I couldn't manage -- despite being an experienced hand-gunner -- to intuit the missing instruction in the manual's breakdown procedure that would allow me to keep from locking it up during takedown. (If you don't have the patience to track down a solution on the internet and/or jigger around with a small screwdriver, you'll wind up having to send it back for warranty repair!)

On top of all that -- and even accounting for the Heinie sights -- it shot consistently low. I traded it and $50 for a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact45 (also dead-on sighting), with which I've been very happy.

Guest NeuralFizz
+1 for Buds. Have bought several guns from them. I prefer local however and Guns and Leather or Goodlettsville Gun shop usually match Buds price. You should try the same. :P

Yeah I did the same thing and bought from Guns and Leather when I got a pistol last week. They'll treat you right and if you have a problem you can always go back to a brick and mortar store for service.

The 145 is a fine weapon, and a great choice for an EDC. If you get it. Hit it hard with break free. They do put a ton of grease in it for packing.

Ive got some Gunslick Nitro Solvent & Gun Oil.. would that be good enough? Not familiar with Break Free..

Guest Risky Ruger

Taurus pistols are better than Taurus revolvers. I bought two different Taurus recently and both were POS. They are cheap though, so if cost is a factor, it should be considered.

Guest FiddleDog

It's an aerosol cleaner. Quite good stuff. It does make it much easier to get into the cracks and crevices that the packing grease gets itself into. You should be able to get it at Academy or Friedmans. If you can't get to either, Cumberland transit and bicycle repair shops will carry it as well.

I almost forgot to mention. I'd take the screws from the sights and dab a bit of loctite on them.

check out Taurusarmed.net. There's a good crew of people over there, the mil-pro is a great pistol, but a lot of people experience FTFs early on because of all the packing grease that gets into the firing pin area.

Guest m&pc9

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/16946-taurus-warranty-stinks.html

Check this out before you buy a Taurus. I would suggest buying local, so if you get a bad one they can help with getting it fixed. My opinion of Taurus is if you get a good one your OK but if you get a bad one its like pulling teeth to get it fixed. I think you should save a little more money and buy one with a little better quality and better customer service. But I dont know your situation. Good luck.

I own a PT145. All the trading I do.. this one has stayed as all others have come and gone. The 3rd gen PT series pistols are about as good as it gets for the price. Mine has been flawless since day one.

Guest benchpresspower
Well, after an exhaustive search for a good EDC gun, I think Ive settled on the Taurus 145. Its the caliber I want and it seems to be the best mix of size, weight, reliability, capacity and value that Ive seen out there. The 3rd gen guns that are out now just get rave reviews from what I can tell. I would really like to handle one, but I called around to a few gun stores in town and they seem to be out. I also considered the XD, G36, and the Kimber Ultra.

I have noticed a few 145's for sale online in the $360 range, which seems great, but I've never purchased a gun online and am not sure of the pitfalls. I guess I would rather purchase one locally if possible, but I'm not sure of the best places to look.

Does anyone have any insight on this particular gun and if so, where did you get yours?

Just got mine about a month ago and shot it yesterday. Good gun, accurate. Got it mainly for the wife whenever I can talk her into getting her HCP. Picked it up used from Guns and Leather and went with the 6 shot instead of the 10. Grip is slightly thinner but not by much, maybe a millimeter of difference but it was 80 bucks cheaper than the 10 shot. All in all, I like it.

I couldn't manage -- despite being an experienced hand-gunner -- to intuit the missing instruction in the manual's breakdown procedure that would allow me to keep from locking it up during takedown. (If you don't have the patience to track down a solution on the internet and/or jigger around with a small screwdriver, you'll wind up having to send it back for warranty repair!

You know, thoughtfulness would have you putting it here for us...

did you guys have trouble with too much packing grease like FiddleDog?

I took mine straight from the gun shop and ran 100 rounds through it...when I got home I cleaned it EXTENSIVELY....and it needed it...it was NASTY. I used EEZOX and cleaned every little crevice i could get to with a q-tip and a "toothpick" device, after this first cleaning, I lubed it with Berry's gun lube and it has been flawless since (knock on wood).

It is my EDC and I trust it completely.

Mine is damned accurate too.

Taurus pistols are better than Taurus revolvers. I bought two different Taurus recently and both were POS. They are cheap though, so if cost is a factor, it should be considered.

First time I've ever heard of the pistols being better then the wheelguns.

I've always heard of it the other way around.

Personally,I'll continue to buy Taurusesses revolvers,and maybe even another 1911 someday,but I just can not bring myself to buy one of their non-1911s semi autos