Issue with AR = Not Striking Hard Enough?

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with an AR I just got (6.8 SPC). It's new, but wasn't purchased through a shop. I took it out to the range yesterday to test it out for the first time.

I loaded the magazine, charged it, and when I went to fire it, it "clicked" but did not fire the casing. So I ejected the round and looked at the back, and you could see where the striker pin hit the back of the round. I thought, maybe it was a bad round, so I tried to fire it again. Same problem. So I thought, maybe it's the brand, and put in another magazine with some Hornady, it fires! But only once, then the same thing happens as before, except sometimes it fires and sometimes doesn't (but everytime it clicks and doesn't fire, you can see a mark where the striker pin is hitting the back of the round.

Is there something that needs adjusting? :D

Thanks for any insight guys!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I'm not sure, but I bet it is, and bet it may be the trigger. I was leaning that way b/c I had a similar issue with another AR I have that ended up being a trigger issue (but in that case it wasn't even striking the round). I'll take a look at it, thanks for the re-tip.

• Administrator

I'd pick up a heavier hammer spring just for the peace of mind it would give. I believe Wolff makes them.

Smith & Wesson package them with every 5.45mm upper that they sell just because those Combloc primers tend to be pretty freaking hard. Not that this has anything to do with the price of tea in China, but it could be that your 6.8 rounds have heavy primers also.

Jason, had the exact same problem with my Business Partners 6.9 AR. We replaced it with another standard AR spring from Midway USA and it has worked fine every since. Do you have another Ar? If so, swap out the springs (or lowers is what we did) and see if it works then. Could by what we found and just a weak spring.