Memphis- Wolfchase Galleriea Mall

Guest TN_Mike

I have a couple of friends from Chicago and they could not believe that TN does not require gun registration.

I'm amazed that with such strong gun laws there that the gang bangers still shoot everything up! Uh, NOT. Yesterday they shot up a funeral. Perfect.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolfchase Mall here in the Memphis area is a kind of gray area for OC. They are not posted so it is 100% legal to carry either concealed or openly there but, we have all heard some stories about OC folks being asked to leave.

We went to the mall Saturday. Wanted to pick up the only Lee Child- Jack Reacher novel we didn't have yet and that Walden Books was the on ly one in town with a copy. Also wanted to check F.Y.E. to see if the final season of Battlestar Galactica is out on DVD, it is!

We get there and I realize I have not brought any type of outer cover garment. I have never OC'ed at the Wolfchase Mall but it looks like this will be the day." Here we go" I say to myself.

We go in, walk to the book store, no comments no nothing. I go in, tell the guy behind the counter that they have a book on hold for me, he find it, he clearly sees the two tone XD service model on my right hip in the Blackhawk SERPA. Doesn't say anything, doesn't look freaked out at all. I buy my book and out we go.

We walk across to the F.Y.E. and go in. I ask the lady behind the counter there if the DVD is out, she tells me it is but they are sold out. Crud.

I turn and start walking towards the back of the store to find the wife and kids, (Wife is OC'ing her XD .40 Sub Compact) and I hear this behind me:

"Look at this guy! He's got a pistol on!"

I turn around and I see two guys, one really big black guy with a dress shirt and tie on and a smaller Italian looking younger guy looking at me. He (the smaller guy) says "Is that real?"

I tell him yes it is real.

He says "You can do that? You can just walk around with a gun on in public?"

I tell him that yes, if you have the permit to carry it is perfectly leagal to carry a gun either openly or concealed.

He says "Oh, I didn't know that. I am from Chicago and you sure can't do that there!"

I asked him if he was visiting Memphis and he tells me they both just moved here for work. I take a few minutes and explain the process for getting the permit in TN and tell them that there are a lot of people in TN, and in Shelby County in particular that carry, either concealed or openly, and maybe they should consider doing the same.

As they walked away they thanked me and said they thought they were going to like living in Tennessee.

All in all, a very good experience. And no one else, even the mall cops that we saw said anything about my gun. No problems at all.yup.gif

Those guys from Chicago will think they've died and gone to heaven, with our much more sane gun attitudes here.

Guest jcramin
To be honest...I've never thought "No Firearms" being listed as item 7 on a 12 items rules list as posting.

At least not in the same sense as posting a sepereate sign, correctly worded or not.

AGREED I would not call Wolfchase as Posting. Who actually reads the posted rules that are on signs standing around the mall. the ONLY reason I read it is because I carry and I was wondering if they had any rules about it. I will continue to carry at Wolfchase, just NOT OPEN.

Guest db99wj
To be honest...I've never thought "No Firearms" being listed as item 7 on a 12 items rules list as posting.

At least not in the same sense as posting a sepereate sign, correctly worded or not.

AGREED I would not call Wolfchase as Posting. Who actually reads the posted rules that are on signs standing around the mall. the ONLY reason I read it is because I carry and I was wondering if they had any rules about it. I will continue to carry at Wolfchase, just NOT OPEN.

Me too, I don't consider those rules for us. That is for illegal activities or safety issues etc.

The "NO" sign list

NO smoking

NO biking

NO skating

NO loitering

NO ninja's

NO parking

NO guns

NO knives

NO fighting

NO running

NO shoes, shirts, NO service

Wolfchase, I think, and this number might be high, but I have been there 3 times in my life.

Guest jwb68
I think everyone missed the important issue here!

He said he went in FYE to buy Battlestar Galactica

:rolleyes:

con3.jpg

Now THAT is open carry. I prefer the skinjobs myself....especially number 6.

So, your basic response to a story about two Chicagoites becoming more educated is to attack TN Mike's chosen method of LEGAL carry because you are too cowardly to exersize your rights in the light and prefer to hide in the shadows like a criminal?
Only partially, you are a coward, IMO, because you conceal carry and then attack someone for a LEGAL method of carry that sparked a positive educational experience for two people who lived in a place that doesn't recognise their fundamental right to self defense.

Rather than say, "Good job, glad you could give people some information", you prefer to whine about some mythical possibility that a property owner may legally post their property and cause you some minor inconvienience in either disarming or shopping elsewhere.

Not a matter of OC vs CC, to me. Rather a matter of a gun owner focusing on a method of carry rather than the real point of the OP, the oppurtunity to educate. Rather a matter of don't exersize your rights if they have a miniscule chance of adversely affecting me.

Were you too cowardly to pay attention in spelling class?

Sorry, but if you are going to insult someone, especially my friend, you should probably know how to spell. Also, calling a person names is a really crappy way to prove your point because all that does is instantly put a person on the defensive. Just my 2 cents.

Guest clownsdd

+20

You're kidding right?

What about it IS posted did you not like? maybe he was taking an opportunity to inform Mike (who obviously didnt know) that it is in fact posted (although not properly) and that open carry could get it posted properly, AND create an embarassing situation when security/cops show up to the "Man with a gun" call?

So, you take it upon yourself to call someone (whom you know NOTHING about) cowardly because he pointed something out?

And since when is concealing not exercising your rights, and hiding in the shadows like a criminal? Man, you should really take a step back and check yourself.