Memphis- Wolfchase Galleriea Mall

Guest TN_Mike

Guest TN_Mike

Wolfchase Mall here in the Memphis area is a kind of gray area for OC. They are not posted so it is 100% legal to carry either concealed or openly there but, we have all heard some stories about OC folks being asked to leave.

We went to the mall Saturday. Wanted to pick up the only Lee Child- Jack Reacher novel we didn't have yet and that Walden Books was the on ly one in town with a copy. Also wanted to check F.Y.E. to see if the final season of Battlestar Galactica is out on DVD, it is!

We get there and I realize I have not brought any type of outer cover garment. I have never OC'ed at the Wolfchase Mall but it looks like this will be the day." Here we go" I say to myself.

We go in, walk to the book store, no comments no nothing. I go in, tell the guy behind the counter that they have a book on hold for me, he find it, he clearly sees the two tone XD service model on my right hip in the Blackhawk SERPA. Doesn't say anything, doesn't look freaked out at all. I buy my book and out we go.

We walk across to the F.Y.E. and go in. I ask the lady behind the counter there if the DVD is out, she tells me it is but they are sold out. Crud.

I turn and start walking towards the back of the store to find the wife and kids, (Wife is OC'ing her XD .40 Sub Compact) and I hear this behind me:

"Look at this guy! He's got a pistol on!"

I turn around and I see two guys, one really big black guy with a dress shirt and tie on and a smaller Italian looking younger guy looking at me. He (the smaller guy) says "Is that real?"

I tell him yes it is real.

He says "You can do that? You can just walk around with a gun on in public?"

I tell him that yes, if you have the permit to carry it is perfectly leagal to carry a gun either openly or concealed.

He says "Oh, I didn't know that. I am from Chicago and you sure can't do that there!"

I asked him if he was visiting Memphis and he tells me they both just moved here for work. I take a few minutes and explain the process for getting the permit in TN and tell them that there are a lot of people in TN, and in Shelby County in particular that carry, either concealed or openly, and maybe they should consider doing the same.

As they walked away they thanked me and said they thought they were going to like living in Tennessee.

All in all, a very good experience. And no one else, even the mall cops that we saw said anything about my gun. No problems at all.yup.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the "Mall Rules" printed on the kiosks by the doors, it says no guns in tiny letters. Same for Oak Court mall. While I know this is not a proper sign, I would not OC there. I think you are asking to get it posted. A posting there would make me very unhappy.

Guest jcramin
If you read the "Mall Rules" printed on the kiosks by the doors, it says no guns in tiny letters. Same for Oak Court mall. While I know this is not a proper sign, I would not OC there. I think you are asking to get it posted. A posting there would make me very unhappy.

I agree. I am at Wolfchase all the time since I only live 2 miles from it and I have kids... They have signs inside in a few places that show the rules and one of the rules is no guns. Of course nothing is posted anywhere else. I carry at Wolfchase all the time, but of course I conceal.

In a case like this where it is not posted at doors, my answer will be to play dumb, "O im sorry, I didnt see the sign posted on your doors that the state of Tennessee says you must have in order to legaly ban guns from your building."

So, your basic response to a story about two Chicagoites becoming more educated is to attack TN Mike's chosen method of LEGAL carry because you are too cowardly to exersize your rights in the light and prefer to hide in the shadows like a criminal?

So, your basic response to a story about two Chicagoites becoming more educated is to attack TN Mike's chosen method of LEGAL carry because you are too cowardly to exersize your rights in the light and prefer to hide in the shadows like a criminal?

Wow, I guess I am a coward because I conceal my weapon. Whatever you say, internet tough guy. :screwy:

Guest canynracer

You're kidding right?

What about it IS posted did you not like? maybe he was taking an opportunity to inform Mike (who obviously didnt know) that it is in fact posted (although not properly) and that open carry could get it posted properly, AND create an embarassing situation when security/cops show up to the "Man with a gun" call?

So, you take it upon yourself to call someone (whom you know NOTHING about) cowardly because he pointed something out?

And since when is concealing not exercising your rights, and hiding in the shadows like a criminal? Man, you should really take a step back and check yourself.

Edited by canynracer
Guest Hyaloid

If this turns into another OC vs CC debate, the thread will be closed. Plenty of those around to call each other names in.

Keep it civil please.

Wow, I guess I am a coward because I conceal my weapon. Whatever you say, internet tough guy. :rolleyes:

Only partially, you are a coward, IMO, because you conceal carry and then attack someone for a LEGAL method of carry that sparked a positive educational experience for two people who lived in a place that doesn't recognise their fundamental right to self defense.

Rather than say, "Good job, glad you could give people some information", you prefer to whine about some mythical possibility that a property owner may legally post their property and cause you some minor inconvienience in either disarming or shopping elsewhere.

If this turns into another OC vs CC debate, the thread will be closed. Plenty of those around to call each other names in.

Keep it civil please.

Not a matter of OC vs CC, to me. Rather a matter of a gun owner focusing on a method of carry rather than the real point of the OP, the oppurtunity to educate. Rather a matter of don't exersize your rights if they have a miniscule chance of adversely affecting me.

Only partially, you are a coward, IMO, because you conceal carry and then attack someone for a LEGAL method of carry that sparked a positive educational experience for two people who lived in a place that doesn't recognise their fundamental right to self defense.

Rather than say, "Good job, glad you could give people some information", you prefer to whine about some mythical possibility that a property owner may legally post their property and cause you some minor inconvienience in either disarming or shopping elsewhere.

So I am a partial coward, interesting. I don't conceal when I am on duty, does that make me less of a coward? You are a trip.

Sort of have to hand it to the guys from Chicago. Almost can't blame them for some reaction, but doesn't sound like they overreacted.

I have a couple of friends from Chicago and they could not believe that TN does not require gun registration.

Geez.....why are open carry guys and conceal carry guys giving each other such a hard time? It's all about the right to carry. I choose to conceal carry simply because I am a woman and not very strong and if some nut job tried to take it from my hip I would be at a disadvantage. I prefer the element of surprise myself. However, I am not going to give a guy a hard time if he makes the choice to open carry....as long as he really knows what he is doing and feels completely comfortable open carrying so nobody can get a hold of it. We are all on the same side here guys. At least we are supposed to be. Yikes.

Geez.....why are open carry guys and conceal carry guys giving each other such a hard time? It's all about the right to carry. I choose to conceal carry simply because I am a woman and not very strong and if some nut job tried to take it from my hip I would be at a disadvantage. I prefer the element of surprise myself. However, I am not going to give a guy a hard time if he makes the choice to open carry....as long as he really knows what he is doing and feels completely comfortable open carrying so nobody can get a hold of it. We are all on the same side here guys. At least we are supposed to be. Yikes.

Thank you Nikki.......:D

IMO, if you are comfortable (or ballsy) enough to carry open, more power to you - it's perfectly legal.

Myself, I will conceal. But this petty bickering among gun owners about OC vs CC is stupid and doesnt do anything but cause division in the ranks, so to speak.

It seems a bit pointless to OC at a mall with a "no guns rule", whether properly posted or not. Once the Barney Fife security guards see you OCing, you will be asked to leave. If you don't, you are then trespassing. Definitely not cowardly, but not very bright, either. Blatantly breaking somebody else's rules on their property is a recipe for trouble.

Edited by deerslayer
Guest canynracer
It seems a bit pointless to OC at a mall with a "no guns rule", whether properly posted or not. Once the Barney Fife security guards see you OCing, you will be asked to leave. If you don't, you are then trespassing. Definitely not cowardly, but not very bright, either. Blatantly breaking somebody else's rules on their property is a recipe for trouble.

This is the point we are trying to make here people...this is NOT an OC vs CC debate.

Now, It doesnt appear that the OP KNEW that wolfchase is posted...and that is all we were pointing out. Its a "for future reference"...nobody blasted him for open carrying.:D

Guest canynracer

This is the point we are trying to make here people...this is NOT an OC vs CC debate.

Wolfchase Mall here in the Memphis area is a kind of gray area for OC. They are not posted so it is 100% legal to carry either concealed or openly there but, we have all heard some stories about OC folks being asked to leave.

Now, It doesnt appear that the OP KNEW that wolfchase is posted...and that is all we were pointing out. Its a "for future reference"...nobody blasted him for open carrying.:D

Guest canynracer

OK, but if its listed as a "RULE" not a "posting", would it make sense to ignore it by open carrying, which could cause the powers that be to properly post?

again, I understand the op didnt know it was a rule, so it wasnt done intentionally (I hope).

OK, but if its listed as a "RULE" not a "posting", would it make sense to ignore it by open carrying, which could cause the powers that be to properly post?

again, I understand the op didnt know it was a rule, so it wasnt done intentionally (I hope).

LOL....not necessarly :)

Just meant I think it means they haven't put as much thought into it as the places that have taken the time to actually post a seperate sign.