The Judge

Guest donfromtexas

Guest donfromtexas

Well I just got my Judge yesterday and I am quite pleased with it. Called up TN Gun Country and they had a 3" Magnum in Blue just waiting for me :cry: Great prices there!

I already had a bunch of 2-1/2 buck and #4 so I didn't have to spend extra on ammo. Went straight out to some friends that live in the "country" and ran about 40 rounds through it with absolutely no problems and had a blast doing it. Even got my wife to fire a couple rounds so she would feel comfortable if she needed to shoot it.

I have read a lot of good and bad info all over the web on the Judge, and I am now on the positive side of the fence. Be wary any house breaker or car jacker when you have one of these pointed at you!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clsutton21
I've still not shot any .45's out of mine yet, just the .410. I can't remember which brand, but someone makes a .410 that is a 00buck made just for the Judge.
It is Federal, walmart gets them on occassion, I have several boxes and that is what I fired in it yesterday.

I don't know if you watched your accuracy on the 00 Buck. But as I remember, they put three slugs in there, which are forced through your barrel, sometimes on top of one another. I wouldn't feel safe with it in a long gun, much less a handgun.

I don't know if you watched your accuracy on the 00 Buck. But as I remember, they put three slugs in there, which are forced through your barrel, sometimes on top of one another. I wouldn't feel safe with it in a long gun, much less a handgun.

The winchester .410 that I shot put all 3 on an 8" target at 7-10 yards.

Here's the link to the ones I used: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20726-cat20841&id=0060849216730a&navCount=6&podId=0060849&parentId=cat20841&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Edited by nolo

I don't own a Judge, but I have kept an NEF/H&R Pardner around most of my life for a "critter" (pest) gun. The .410 is still the king of the "garden guns" for putting down unwanted animals but not taking out half of the neighborhood. A good friend of mine bought a judge just to carry along when walking the dog, his neighborhood has a real skunk problem. This for sure is a .410 mission!

I live further in the country and occasionally carry one of my two "pardners" (grandkids' guns when they visit) over my shoulder while walking on the country lanes ( along with the 640/642) for "critter" control. I was glad to see Taurus come out with the judge to make the .410 more practical for some folks. Contrary to current Gotta have a .50 Cal. Barrett philosophy the .410 and .22LR are the most practical weapons for most folks to own. A good .410 and a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 will handle most problems and most fun shooting for people not really into owning an arsenal.

Edited by wjh2657
Guest donfromtexas

I actually bought the Federal ammo that is made specifically for the Judge and the buckshot has 4 pellets vs the 3 pellets in standard 2 1/2 inch shells. I also bought the #4 Federal made for the judge and was not impressed with the pattern when fired from around 15ft, but it did the job when fired at closer ranges. Not really sure I will carry that for personal defense, but it will make a great snake killer.

I love firing this weapon and will stick by it as a personal defense/critter/snake gun. I have read in several places where the buckshot is equal to a .38spc, .380, or 9mm; which one it is close to I have no idea, but having FOUR of any of those rounds hitting you at one time is a man stopper in my mind. When I buy the 3" shells it will have 5 of those hitting at once.... so to all the nay-sayers I have read (not particularly in this thread) that say this is not a good personal defense gun.... I say stand and let me fire just one round at you, since it will not do much damage, surely you won't mind placing your body out there for a test shot! :usa:

Guest donfromtexas
do these have cylinder gap gaskets? or is the cylinder gap open?

I have no idea really, this is my first revolver (I have always had automatics in the military and as a civilian) so I am not sure what a cylinder gasket is.

I do know that on my Judge, the cylinder is very tight (not a lot of play) but when held from the side there is visible light between the chamber and the barrel.

does that help answer?

Now you just need to get this done:

attachment.php?attachmentid=50531&stc=1&d=1249953077

I'm not sure if you're a member of TFL, but WildAlaska (a TFL member) recently posted on of these and changed my whole outlook for The Judge.

Now you just need to get this done:

attachment.php?attachmentid=50531&stc=1&d=1249953077

I'm not sure if you're a member of TFL, but WildAlaska (a TFL member) recently posted on of these and changed my whole outlook for The Judge.

Whats it supposed to be? Some kind of choke system? Could you post a link to the original thread on the other forum? I would like to read more about what it is.

-Jason G

Guest beefcakeb0

thats freakin awesome, thanx for the link.... based on that picture it does not have the gap, some revolvers do gap and can change the velocity, or something like that. i cant trust taurus' stock photos, because from what i can tell they are almost always pre-release pics, with minor differences from the final product