Tullahoma Guns in Parks

Guest tahoebigah

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Mathis is not for the students, or the general public of Tullahoma. He has his own agenda. I have not the slightest idea as to what it is either.

I have talked to him about some issue's I have had in the past. And he was not the least bit interested.

Push to ban guns from parks shot down again

By BRIAN JUSTICE City Editor

A second push to have guns banned from Tullahoma’s city parks has failed.

The Board of Mayor and Aldermen, at Alderman Jerry Mathis’ request, voted on whether to consider a resolution that would ban guns from city parks.

H ow eve r, Mathis’ motion, seconded by Alderman Mike Stanton, failed in a 4-3 vote.

Voting to allow guns were Mayor Troy Bisby, Aldermen James Eads, Greg Sandlin and Mike Norris. Also siding with Mathis and Stanton in the minority was Alderman Jimmy Blanks.

The Tennessee Legislature re cently passed a law, effective Sept. 1, that allows state-issued permit holders to possess guns —concealed or in open view — in city and state parks.

The law also allows cities to opt out from the law and ban guns in their parks by passing resolutions proclaiming their stance.

The Tullahoma Board discussed the issue at length at its Aug. 24 meeting.

It was divided on whether to ban guns, which would take majority sup port from four board members to do so. However, no quorum sup ported the move.

Mathis was adamant in telling the board then and again on Monday that he believes fi rearms, regardless of permit status, have no business being around school athletic events.

He said some school systems wouldn’t allow their teams and athletes to play or participate in events where guns area allowed nearby.

Mathis said the issue goes beyond that because the law does allow guns by permit at non-school related youth baseball and soccer games.

He said he’s seen where participants in those events have become irate and took action that lacked good judgment. He added guns have no place being at events like that.

Norris said he personally has issues with guns being allowed in city parks, but the input he received from Tullahoma residents overwhelmingly supported allowing guns by permit.

Stanton had said on Aug. 24 that as a gun novice, he had initially been totally against allowing guns. However, he said through public input he’d reconsider his position.

Stanton said the law allows a permit to be issued after the applicant has undergone an eight-hour training course — four involving classroom instruction, and the other four in shooting profi ciency training.

He said he doubts the training required to obtain a carry permit is adequate.

Stanton said he questions whether the permit process adequately tests emotional stability, and some permit holders could be dangerous.

Kristin Helm, TBI spokesperson, said recently that the background checks to get gun permits are nearly the same as the process used when gun purchases are made.

However, she said the permit process requires fingerprinting applicants where gun sales transactions don’t involve the step.

Mike Browning, Tennessee Department of Safety public information offi cer, said of the state’s 240,000 valid handgun permit holders, less than 1 percent have been linked to crimes related to weapons.

Tullahoma News, September 16, 2009

There was an added graphic with these numbers of HCPs in local counties:

Bedford - 1,532

Coffee - 2,200

Franklin - 1,543

Note TNews simply reports "he said, she said" without bringing in any outside facts. It's like the debate doesn't exist elsewhere and Mathis' big issue hasn't already been addressed by the AG.

Someone please write a letter to the editor pointing out Mathis is ignoring the AG's opinion and law denying carry at school functions in public parks. I need to do business with the school and as long as Mathis is athletic director, I don't need to cross him any more than I have.

http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2009/OP/OP129.pdf

Edited by cybernorris
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for showing the Tullahoma Board your support of the right to carry in Parks. I am from Tullahoma originally, have family there still and visit often. Just I was not able to attend the Board meeting on this issue.

And i had Mr. Mathis as a teacher when i was in H.S. there. So I understand.

Edited by Wyldk2
  • 1 year later...
Guest Gunbunnie

Hi all, I was in the process of getting ready to travel overseas while this was going on and did not get to keep up with this. I take it we can carry in parks here in Tullahoma. If so then which parks are a go and are there any other then the one by the High School that is a nogo?

Thanks

Daryl

Thank you for showing the Tullahoma Board your support of the right to carry in Parks. I am from Tullahoma originally, have family there still and visit often. Just I was not able to attend the Board meeting on this issue.

And i had Mr. Mathis as a teacher when i was in H.S. there. So I understand.

I too had Mathis as a teacher, and I can tell you from that experience, the only way he will ever listen to anyone on this issue is if you have nice love bumps in your chest.