colt DA revolvers

nightrunner

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they did, they'd probably be dumb about it and make them super expensive like all the rest of the line. Sorry about the neagativity, but I love Colt pistols, but they just aren't worth the money Colt thinks they are. You have to be rich to own one anymore.

Yes we have. And I for one think they priced themselves out of th market back in the 80's and 90's. Of course, short sightedness about market trends and evil intentions towards gun owners didn't help them either. I'm really surprised they have managed to survive since.

I own two Colt revolvers made back in the 60's and 70's and they are still excellent shooting handguns today. Colt should come back out with a new small frame double action along the lines of the Colt Detective Special/Cobra and they should also manufacturing new single actions like they did in the old days when the average working man could afford one and be proud to own and shoot it! As it is today, the average gun can't buy one and if he could, it'd be a safe queen!

If Colt Managment is thinking of producing revolvers again, I applaud them. All I ask is make them with the same OLD Colt quality and make them affordable ($300-$500 range).

Edited by Moped
If Colt Managment is thinking of producing revolvers again, I applaud them. All I ask is make them with the same OLD Colt quality and make them affordable ($300-$500 range).

I bought three Colt double-actions in the 1990s and early 2000s: King Cobra, Anaconda, and SF-VI. I didn't pay over $549 retail for any of them?

I'd like to see them bring out a five-shot .44 Special on a King Cobra frame with a three-inch barrel (along the lines of the recent-but-now-gone Smith Model 696). They could call it the Copperhead.

never happen, they couldnt afford to do it now. wouldnt make good business sense anyways. Colt is a name of prestige now, you cant sell prestige for cheap and keep its reputation of prestige. S&W doesnt sell their top of the line revolvers that cheap, why should colt? now around $7-800 for and old colt quality python is not unreasonable considering for mint condition they are $1200 +++ now.

if it happens, i think they will drop quality a little to be semi-competitive in the market.

I agree that it will never happen. But I think they could afford to do it if they wanted too and the UAW let them. And why should they? Because it will put them on the road to becoming the U.S. leading gun maker again.

The last prices I saw on new Pythons wholesale was $799 in the royal blue. Then they went to being a custom shop item and therefore out of reach to most of us. I'm not even sure they do that anymore. The last affordable revolver they made was the SF-VI, which when they were still in production was running between $400 and $500. I wish I'd have gotten one then. I'd love to see them bring back the Diamondback. That was great pistol! Colt always made great revolvers!

S&Ws are still priced reasonable, especially with the J-Frames. If I were going larger, then I'd have to consider a Ruger or even a Taurus, just for the cost involved. I understand the Taurus warranty service really sucks though.

Be interesting to see if Colt loses the M4 contract now that the Pentagon can go back and rebid it.

Edited by Moped
The last prices I saw on new Pythons wholesale was $799 in the royal blue. Then they went to being a custom shop item and therefore out of reach to most of us. I'm not even sure they do that anymore. The last affordable revolver they made was the SF-VI, which when they were still in production was running between $400 and $500. I wish I'd have gotten one then. I'd love to see them bring back the Diamondback. That was great pistol! Colt always made great revolvers!

Very true on the Pythons. I got mine in the seventies...it was expensive for the time then, too, but a lot less than $799.